myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
another blown forecast
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wind.Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you lived in a place like Maui, and could count on the wind, it would make life alot easier. Instead of my life revolving around the "possibility" of wind, I could plan to sail when I wanted, and do other things with the rest of my day. the way things are now, I will often do nothing all day in hopes the wind will come up. When it doesnt come up, I find myself really having wasted the day.

Could imagine waking up and saying "I'm going to sail today from 11-2". Then go sail, and do other things with the rest of your afternoon. Ahh....what a life that would be.

Oh well... wishful thinking
Dunoyer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wind.Man:

I wonder if your yardstick then changes, you're now pining for those certain swells that only come a few days a year... Wind and water sport is the fine art of scoring those primo conditions. Like with skiing, I'm now bored unless there's a foot of fresh. I spent some time in Kauai, and was astounded when the locals would come in after an hour-long sesh, having had enough, or would just look at it and shrug it off as being too flat.

Every day that I sail, I sail it like it may be the last day I ever get on the water, I get greedy, stay too long, and crawl on my hands and knees for 3 days afterwards.. ahhhh! so sweet. One year, in Venezuela, I had the rare treat of going to a wind destination and NOT get skunked. I came home with big holes in my hands from holding the booms 4 hours every day. My wife then concluded that I was positively insane...

Boardheads are a rare breed....
scooper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem isn't lack of conditions. There's plenty of wind and waves here in New England for those that can sail whenever the conditions are good. I just don't have time to sail during the week.

I have no idea if I would get bored if I could sail 2 or 3 times a week, whether it was Maui or here. I have a feeling that I would sail like crazy when I was working on a new move, but sail less when I felt stuck on one of those plataues that most of us hit with no major progress happening. Right now I"m making progress so I really look forward to my 1 session each week.
Dunoyer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve:

How long have you been sailing?
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant to get some response from that comment. Seen folks quit kiting after going all in on that. They reach that point of fear/lack of progression in skills. Some come back to WS'ing, some go on to something else. No judgements, just a study in human nature....

Again, a reflection of what's going on within. Some folks stay home, watch TV and play with altered states type of substances. Shoot, one could do that in a warm third world country for a lot less day to day cost of living than Maui.

Some folks never get into the trap of "oh, it's not quite perfect enough." Again, all back to what's coming from within. Recognize the tendencies and traits. That way, if nirvana does fall in your lap, you are better prepared.

At the moment, it takes me about 6 days locally for me to get sated with wavesailing when it's onshore. Never had the luxury of counting that high for side off. Even with a long board or 3 on tap.
scooper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jean- I started in 86. I had about 14 years when I didn't sail that much because the kids/ family needed more attention. During the last few years, with the pups being a little older, I've been getting out almost as much as I did before the family adventure started. In a few more years I may be able to get an occasional weekday afternoon in.
Dunoyer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa! an old timer! Me too, I first stepped on a windsurfer in 1979. I was 13 and going to the usual beach house where my grandmother lived on the Basque Coast in France, and windsurfing was hitting like an overnight sensation. The bay was littered with the big long boards with teak booms. My Dad, who hates the ocean - he's a mountain guy -- thought it was pretty cool so when we got back to the states (Michigan) we bought one. The only dealer nearby was a school teacher running the operation out of his garage! It wasn't until 1988 that I bought a short board (Tiga 260 - remember Madd Mike's?) and the obsession really began. Even with 2 kids, now ages 8 and 14, my wife has been pretty tolerant of my frequent absences and I manage to usually log 20+ days a season. Kiting has been a great diversion as well, and I like both just as much, 25 knots being the threshold. Plenty of days when I leave both rigged on the beach. They are quite different. What I like better is the windsurfing crowd. I make friends real easy, whereas I find kiters to be more aloof.

I kind of like how this thread is getting philosophical, with talk of being ready when Nirvana falls on your lap. Hey! I think I'm ready! Bring it on!

For me, the facination with the sport has something to do with the fact that there are still plenty of days when I go out there and get my ass kicked, so I'm searching for the limits of my skills, my endurance, my knowledge of the sea conditions...
PeteCress

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rswabsin wrote:
The only benefit to a skunked session is that you learn a little bit more about the reliability of a forecast wind direction and strength at your local sailing spot for a particular time of year. Rob

Another one is that eventually one comes to associate different forecasters' names with different reliability levels.

I'm kind of a slow learner, but after one forecaster called for increasing NE or NW winds (can't recall which) due to a thermal effect at my venue - whose thermals are exclusively SW - even I finally got the message: when person X posts a promising forecast, think twice about bagging work on it.
speedysailor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wind.Man wrote:
If the forecast was better, people could arrange to take the day off from work on a day when it is blowing - not on a day when it is not.
How many people do you know that took work off on this day you are complaining about? Where are you?
pueno

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seedysailor wrote:
How many people do you know that took work off on this day you are complaining about? Where are you?

Brucie, (or is it Bagley or Robby?), why are you worried about someone's vacation day?

In fact, what do you know about vacation days? You've never worked, so you've never had the pleasure of taking a day away from work.

Anyway, didn't you just tell this forum, "Good riddance to you assholes"?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: