myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing after hip replacement surgery
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scameron

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: hip replacements Reply with quote

Very Happy I had both hips replaced 13 yrs.ago (both hips @ the same time) and was able to sail on a good storm day exactly 4 mos. after surgery. I felt better the day after surgery than I did the day before surgery! I have absolutely no pain during sailing, jumps, missed jibes,or getting worked in the surf!
My Doc also is a windsurfer, and he has me in his office occasionally to check for wear. After 13 years I have no measureable wear. HOWEVER- my doc has cleared me for sailing, surfing and skiing he does not want me to run, or ride a bike anymore ( long distance, or pounding uphill climbs).
I say go get your hips done- you will be glad you did.
Monday

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has the hip ever popped out while waterstarting? Any problem with pulling your knees up to your chest?
lizardhill

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot quite bring my knee to my chest, but I don't think I could before surgery! I can bring my legs up plenty high to waterstart, and I can bring my leg high enough for rock climbing high steps. I have no sense that the joint will pop out during either of these extreme stretches. Yoga helps everything BTW.
As to a surgeon in your area I would ask your insurance company for a list and also a list of covered hospitals as this was an issue for me. HIPSANDKNEES.COM is a great resource and Dr. Huddleston will likely be able to offer a referral in your area. If you want to contact a windsurfing surgeon try Dr. Kevin Stone in San Francisco (Stoneclinic.com)
as he is an active windsurfer, World Class Surgeon and has contributed columns to Windsurfing Magazine (doesn't do hips though). He might be able to offer a referral as well. I would also contact US Windsurfing. Web search too.
Hip replacement has only been around about forty years, so it is very possible to find surgeons who have been in on all of the stages of advancement. This was one of the main things that made me feel very confident in my surgeon. I feel that all possible scenarios for my surgery were were considered.
Good Luck, tell us how you do!
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a buddy down here in FL that has had the hip thing done a few years ago. He has a bevy of Exocets to play with. They have the DDSA foot pad system that allows for an extra cushiony feel to their performance.

http://www.exocet-original.com/products/scross.asp

The Scross or Cross are very good all around free ride boards. Methinks a demo may be available at your local dealer? Ride Hateras, 2nd Wind, Hood River, Delta in SF area. More than those around, just a few I know quite readily...
madmax7

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: HIp Reply with quote

Monday, Google hip resurfacing, way better than replacement of a hip.

You can regain a very active life, almost zero chance of dislocation, and better flex than replacement.

I had my hip resurfaced last December and went back to windsurf in 3 months, plus my other physical activities before then.

Good luck,

Max.
south-west

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monday,
i had a total hip replacement two years and over two hundred windsurfing days ago. without the surgery i wouldn't be windsurfing, which is not an option for me.
katosandog

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: New thoughts for women to consider Reply with quote

Thought I'd add a new note to this older thread as the world of joint replacement is advancing rapidly. Back in 2007 not much research had been completed on success rates for hip resurfacing for women specifically. In 2014 this is not a preferred option for most women as the structure of the pelvis differs from men and the rates of dislocation in women who have had hip resurfacing (E.g. Birmingham procedure) is higher making many surgeons chose not to recommend same for female patients. Women who are a solid/fit 160+ pounds may be a candidate for resurfacing but most women should explore total hip replacement. Also be aware that although arthroscopic surgery (minimal incision) leaves small scars/less tissue impact, it is more challenging to assure leg length accuracy and generally a longer anesthetic is required to work that way. Results for arthroscopic vs traditional incision a year post op are the same. Just things to think about. I am a 54 yo female windsurfer/skier/cyclist who had a total HR done in the spring and who plans to be back cycling this fall, skiing this winter and WSurfing next summer! (kc under katosandog's line)
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hip resurfacing isn't an arthroscopic procedure, much bigger cuts needed. Also with the direct anterior approach to hip replacement (from the front) getting the leg lengths the same is not nearly as tough as with the posterior approach. Also no muscles cut with anterior approach, just spread them apart and for this reason dislocation risk is also lower.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: