myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Saturday Nov 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonathanbaker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Saturday Nov 2 Reply with quote

The forecast is for lots of wind and a swell from the storm. I am considering going to horseneck beach. I am thinking that with a NNW breeze and a swell in the forecast there might be great wave sailing. has anyone had any luck with this?

If this does not work out i will prolly end up going to Chapin or West Falmouth...
Dunoyer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will find winds on the very shifty and gusty side, since it will be blowing offshore. Waves could be huge, and if so, the shore pound is pretty intense. I find that spot more favorable in South West conditions.
scooper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there about a month ago in a NW and it was side off, definately gusty but better than I expected. I've heard that it can be good in a NW if the swell doesn't die off. That day the swell died off before we got going. I think W is sideshore and would be great but NNW or N must be close to directly offshore and is probably not so good. If the swell coming in is big and the wind is straight offshore and really changable, not to mention 50 MPH gusts, it might be a recipe for getting worked.

There are a few reports and pics from Horseneck on my blog, scroll down to posts by location, on left, and select Horseneck.
http://waterloggedbyscooper.blogspot.com/
Dunoyer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Horseneck thing, why launch from gooseberry where the boulders are? What's the benefit? I have always launched from the beach on the Western end of the State Beach.[/b]
scooper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually follow the lead of local Jeff Bull. He sails there a few times a week so I know he is going to get be at the best launch for the conditions. He has about 5 or 6 spots, (at least), that he launches from all around Horseneck/Gooseberry. When he launches from Gooseberry I think its to avoid summer beach crowds at Horseneck, shorebreak, or those light winds on the inside that can make it hard to get out with onshore winds.
jonathanbaker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

based on the forecast this morning and the current wind readings i am thinking of trying plymouth bay. I have heard that is sailable. Is there any truth to this. It seems like the cape will be too windy. SO i am looking for places closer to boston to sail

If all else fails i will prolly just end up in pleasure bay.
speedysailor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't want to sail Plymouth Bay at low tide. Most people launch from Duxbury, but there are other launches for sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: