myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Anyone live in Panama City?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TxAgs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Anyone live in Panama City? Reply with quote

A friend of mine has been pursuing me to take a job in Panama City. Any thoughts? What's good? What's bad?

I live in Houston currently, but have lived in Charleston, SC Raleigh, NC, and Beaufort, NC in the past. I wonder how this compares...

Thanks for any thoughts!

J
sailandbail

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a week there in 1994, but I wasn't sailing then. There is a lot of water around, but no surf nearby (I didn't have a car.) My main impression was: HOT. A lot like Houston in the summertime, just year round (a lot dirtier, too). Be prepared to sweat. You can check out Noriega's old digs, though.
RPM7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Panama City, FL Reply with quote

Hi! My wife and I just moved to Panama City this summer, and we like it! Every place has it's goods and bads, so here are a few general observations:

Good:

- The beaches are AWESOME! Some of the best, cleanest, most beautiful beaches anywhere! White sand (similar to snow in some places), clear, emerald, warm water in the summer -- great for boating, beach bumming, snorkelling, kayaking, etc.
- Smaller-town feel still with lots of amenities (mall, WalMart, Home Depot, etc) and growing!
- Much lower cost of living than some areas of the country (like LA where we moved from)

Bad:

- Somewhat red-necky in parts of town (you'll want to explore the whole area before deciding where to live) -- Not a problem for me, just see some interesting characters from time to time!
- Not as many amenities/options as bigger cities (but not bad) -- you can drive an hour west to Ft Walton Beach for a bit more sophistication
- It's HOT in the summer - mid-upper 90s and high humidity make you want to be in the water, or in the AC

Now, about windsurfing:
- Summer is mostly dead for wind - June-ish to September-ish isn't much breeze at all, unless we get a hurricane our way, then it can be epic for as much as 2 weeks prior (so I hear)
- Wind the rest of the year varies. One guy I met the other day who was out on a 6.5, and he said he's never needed smaller than a 5.0 around here.
- There are several sailing spots around town, and you choose the best spot based on the wind direction of the day. Here's a website with info on many of them:
http://emeraldcoastkiteboarding.com/local_launches.htm Mostly free-ride conditions with some bump/jump days and smaller wave-riding opportunities. It's a great place to take up formula windsurfing!
- The windsurfing scene isn't very large here, but kiting is pretty big, due to the predominantly lower winds.

I hope that helps a little. Feel free to IM me to ask any specific questions you've got! Come on out! We'd love to have another windsurfing buddy!
sharkasm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone live in Panama City? Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by sharkasm on Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
jp5

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"My 2 cents - If you're a boardhead, choose your destination based on available sailing. "

Hey Mitch - shouldn't you live on Maui?
sailandbail

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Houston,

I thought you were talking about Panama City, PANAMA. Have fun in Florida, I think they have even more rednecks there than in Texas! (I'm originally from San Antonio, so I am only partially talking out of my arse!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: