myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What's the Deal for Saturday?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ron.c

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: What's the Deal for Saturday? Reply with quote

Now that I'm a bonafide fair weather fan of the Red Sox, I think that I am authorized to use the term double header (more or less).

Saturday PM - Kalmus, Sunday AM - at home, at Skaket.

I went with a 3mil short sleeve convertable on Tuesday. If the sun is out, it may warm enough. Sunday AM, drysuit conditions.

Spent the afternoon pushing up the domestic chores to ensure some parole time in the PM.

Hey Bruce, How 'bout making the trip to Hyannis? I may have missed it, but it seems like it's been at least the Spring since you made your way east. Show us the way with those jumbo sails.

This time of year, the more the merrier!

RC
OliverTwist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The forecast for Pleasure Bay is almost as good. It's an hour+ closer for me so I'll be sailing in Boston.
ron.c

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one is a bigger cheap skate than me on spending money for gas. When it comes to a good southerly blow in the off season Kalmus, for me, is the palce to go. On the trip west I have several visual indicators that give me a clue. 1 - the Route 6 Bass River Birdge: Water taking on a dark tone i.e back side of the white caps. 2 - Flags at the Lincoln Dealership on Willow Street. 3- Red Light at Chirsty's: Lookin' out beyond the boats at the dock. Gray smoke the on the water, a good sign. 4 - The "Lot Boss" is flying his home flag on the old gold anodized mast. I may have it totally off but on the big days, the flag is fly'n and his van is not in the driveway. 5- The flag at the War Mermorial 6- 2 white vans guarding the parking lot entrance. Parking slot #1 the "Lot Boss", Parking slot #2 "The Old Man and his Bride"

If you know what I'm talk'n about, you've make the trip.

Too much computer time on my hands, the kids are up late watching Avatar on Nick.

Pumped for the weekend, thanks for reading, RC
speedysailor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron, my friend, the one thing about Cape Cod that I have discovered would be that you don't have to drive far to find a beach launch. There are a number of places that are good in a SW in Falmouth that I haven't tried yet and would find entertaining. Southerly winds can be good at Wacko, Poppy and Oregon. That's why I rarely go to Kalmus. Sometimes, though, I'll stop by when I go to Hyannis for a shopping trip. As a matter of fact last November I met a guy there who was sailing with a Formula board and 11.0 sail. I hadn't brought any gear because I knew there wouldn't be any wind. Watching this guy sail convinced me of the advantage of those Jumbo rigs. Going fully to an 11 rig still tempts me. This guy was cruising while the others were sourly slogging. He was probably lighter than I by 20 or more lbs. and as old. he hails from Milton. You might know him. I came rather close to driving down to Orleans and Pleasant Bay, yesterday (Friday) as the Easterlies should have been good there, right? However, family obligations kept me at home until it got too late to do the longer drive. I, actually, regret putting my next session off until today because it's going to RAIN all day. We'll probably cross paths sometime in the next month as I hope to get over to Pleasant Bay in a good N.E.

Last edited by speedysailor on Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total
dcharlton

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Rhode Island is getting it's due in the fall. Pt Judith has been great as of late and today I may get that session in Newport I've been trying for.

Good sailing today!

DC
DrWind

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heading down to Pt. Judith Lighthouse this PM. Keep a parking spot for me....

Lars
Juani222

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Fogland Reply with quote

Hi! Juan here... is anybody heading to Fogland today? It seems that Pt. Judith is the place to be lately...
Another one: Where do you guys usually launch in Pt Judith?

Pray for wind,

Juan
braden

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: saturday (or where to go) Reply with quote

I've never been to point judith; a sailor at ninigret told me the sensor there tends to be high compared to the surface wind. I'd be interested to know if people agree, and if not, yes, where do you launch?

I sail where no one else sails, at sabin point east providence, and brayton point somerset, next to the power plant. Polluted at times but excellent wind, sometimes better than elsewhere, even kalmus. Wind in mid twenties at brayton point today with gusts around 30, nice session. Wouldn't mind company!
speedysailor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great to see the R.I. representatives coming in here, but I seldom leave the Commonwealth anymore. Yesterday, the Saturday of the title of this thread, saw the rain pass to the NW of the Cape and the afternoon winds were great out of the south. It's not often I have the opportunity to blast in the straps on both tacks. Today will be windy as well, but out of the NW.
pueno

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seedysailor wrote:
It's great to see the R.I. representatives coming in here, but I seldom leave the Commonwealth anymore...

Brucie, you make it sound as if this forum is your personal soapbox for blather from "the Commonwealth." Is it always all about you, big guy? Shocked

BTW..... Brayton Point is in "the Commonwealth," just past the Braga Bridge on the south side of 195, so don't be a stranger. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: