myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
WTF - Didn't anybody Go out Yesterday?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ron.c

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: WTF - Didn't anybody Go out Yesterday? Reply with quote

WTF - For the size of this Country, I can't believe how little action gets reported on this forum.

Kalmus was "on" in the morning. The core team was on hand to meet, greet and police any visitors, including me.

After not much BS, everyone (about 6-7) settled down for a good hour of 4-5m sailing. For me it was one of those sessions where my 4.2 was just about perfect. Fully strapped and powered up, but not over powered.

Speaking of gear from earliler threads, everybody on hand seemed to having something that worked. For me, this has been a year where I have "come out of the closet" and accepted that my old 1991 Haut and I are gonna stay together until death do us apart.

I did take note that "The Old Man" passed me on his Star-Board. It must have been the sail size and not the board! I give him and his wife credit, they're both on the water before and after me.

Unfortunately, at 11:30, the wind backed off. I should have gone to a 5.0 instead of jaw-jacking. So I ended up not getting all my "money's worth".

When I got home, the cloud cover never made it to the outer cape, and it howled all afternoon!

Thanks for Reading,

RC
lasrer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed for an hour at 3-4 PM on the inside, Lewis Bay, with a 5.0 KA Koncept on an 80 L board. It was great fun, delicious, but there were no boats around to look at and no one else to sail with.

My GPS max was 32,8 MPH, so I have that going for me.......

happy fall, get it now.

ed sinofsky
ron.c

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit that when it comes to technolgy like a hand held wind meter, I've got limited use for them. (My wife gave me a weather station for fathers day a few years ago. I mounted directly above my work station - the kitchen sink -I spend a lot of time at that sink. It's where key decisions are made.)

Now a GPS, I'll get one someday if the price comes down alittle more more.

For what ever reason, I started keeping a log of all the surfing days for the last 4 years. Having data to backup my twisted recollection sounds like the ticket.

RC
scooper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for the report. Those of us that can't sail on these warm windy weekdays can still get a jolly from reading about it. I heard that there were some hooky-players planning to go out at Deep Hole/R.I. and at Horseneck/Buzzards Bay for some waves but I haven't heard from any of them. Maybe it was too good to even attempt to put into words.

The forecast for this Saturday sounds great! I hope it's not a mirage.
DeanWithrow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys..
Ned's Point was all but deserted yesterday.
I heard that there was a morning crew that sailed until
spent, in the AM. I arrived at 2:00 and saw only one car in the lot. Shocked

Very steady 25+ average all afternoon! Swells were
stacking up nicely with lots of ramps. Mattapoisett
harbor allowed for some sort and very bumpy speed runs.
Nothing to write home about... 34.8 mph. max, but the
real fun was outside in Buzzard's Bay.

5.5 Nitro 5 and my 95 ltr Carbon Art.
Glad to hear you guys got out and enjoyed it. Laughing

Dean
fanatik

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Kalmus the 23rd Reply with quote

Phew, I thought for a minute I was the old guy on the starboard, but it was Gerda's Husband.
I had to resort to the starboard 99 liter board too, but it was fun to ride a smaller sail than usual on it. 5.0 all day on a solid 20 knots, never really got the little board powered.
The Southerly content was putting up some Port side jumps at the channel that I need all the practice I can get, since it's my weak side.
I saw a guy come closer to getting run over by the high speed ferry than ever before. He didn't realize it accelerates at the end of the break water.
I planned to turn broadside, and he was coming across right in front of the jet boat.
I think the sailers were distributed all over. i haven't heard, but think RI was lighter than 20 knots.
MikeLaRonde

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

West Dennis was totally on all afternoon. SSW winds about 25 mph, getting stronger late, low tide, making some nice waves on the outside.
about 15 sailors and 5 kites out at any time. a great day to be sure.. right about when the rain was supposed to come, the sun came out instead!

Mike L
speedysailor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Monday and Tuesday I windsurfed in the afternoon. Tuesday had more wind and was much gustier, but with the right sized sail, Monday was superb. My wind meter read an average of 20 and gusts to 30 when I started rigging around 1:30 on Tuesday. After I put up, I took another reading at sunset and saw an average of 24 with gusts to 38. All that had been the 12 o'clock Noaa prediction. Nevertheless, I'ld like to see posts before the action rather than reports after the fact. If we put our heads together, we can come up with good forecasts. You shouldn't be writing so much in the heat of excitement, but more contemplatively.
ron.c wrote:
I must admit that when it comes to technolgy like a hand held wind meter, I've got limited use for them.
I find mine indispensible, especially since I have to rig so much bigger than most windsurfers and often find myself the only windsurfer at the launch. Monday, one sailor was on the water when I arrived at the beach. After reading the meter which was showing an average in the low teens with strong periods up to 17, I set about rigging my 9.6. The lone sailor came ashore and told me that he had seen me rigging and wanted to meet another sailor since the body of water we were sailing was new to him. He also told me he had been sailing upwind because he was over-powered with his 6.0 and tightened his leech. This made me a little nervous, but he was much smaller than I. In addition this '06 Loft O2 has a huge capacity for increasing the downhaul and loosening the leech when I put it on a 490 cm mast, all of which has the approval of Monty Spindler, the designer. When the other sailor asked me what I was rigging, I told him. It raised his eyebrows.

ron.c wrote:
Now a GPS, I'll get one someday if the price comes down a little more.
He had a Garmin foretrex 201 on his wrist and we talked about it. They look rather interesting and easy to use. He said his top speed had been 24 m.p.h. After that I launched. The waters were exceptionally flat. I proceeded to blast all over on both port and starboard tacks and could have easily beat him in a race. What a rush!!! My gybing was difficult, however, mostly because of the awkward size and weight of the sail combined with my lack of practice and conditioning recently. The lulls and gusts never help either. Nevertheless, it was the right sail for me. I really didn't care how fast I was going as it was fast enough, especially since I had the big lightening fast Naish Icon for a board!!!!

Last edited by speedysailor on Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:44 am; edited 1 time in total
chrissim

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great to read about the sessions. I haven't been on the water for about a month because of broken gear and a lack of $$$ for new stuff. Could have sailed Tues with the 4.6 and 230 mast (only size in my quiver that I can currently rig), but I had to work. Let's all hope for mid to high 20s this weekend, and a Red Sox sweep of the WS.

Get it when you can, for all of us that are watching from the sidelines.
Dunoyer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I scored a sesh at Horseneck on windy Tuesday -- purrrrr-fect. Side on shore, moderate waves stacking up ever higher as you got out, plenty of juice for the 5.0. The shoals near the harbor entrance were nice, I skirted some logo high swells. I was pretty much the only poleboarder, 3 kiters. Our sport is on the wane... Fuck if I care, I like having the beach to myself...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: