myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Port Monmouth, New Jersey, better than Sandy Hook

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scargo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Port Monmouth, New Jersey, better than Sandy Hook Reply with quote

Why don't more people sail here? I've been a half-dozen times, and no one is ever there. In many conditions, it's better than Sandy Hook. Parking is free, and it has a nice grassy rigging area, protected from the wind. It faces NNE, so is good in almost any direction except S. On a NW wind, like yesterday, it gets some nice rolling chop from across the bay, increasing as you go out. And the wind isn't blocked, like Sandy Hook. Also, the water is plenty deep, even in low tide.
The place to park is about 200 yards east of the Spy Glass museum. Rig in the grass, then carry your stuff to the beach.
rswabsin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great question that I've wondered about also. Port Monmouth is great on an east to northeast wind but I've also sailed there a few times this past spring on northwesterly's; great rolling swells can set up for some big jumps and short wave rides. I actually stopped by there yesterday around 11:30 but the wind was a little offshore (westerly) and a little too light near shore so I drove out to the Hook. The Hook was packed and generally sucked with a few gusts to about 20 knots dropping down for the most part to about 10 -15 knots. Sounds like it got much better at Port Monmouth.

I've also sailed from the Marina located about 1 mile further west down the road when the wind was straight onshore (NNEast). I sailed from down there so I could clear the fishing pier while trying to work my way upwind and further offshore. This was actually great sailing as there were huge swells just beyond the pier that made for great psuedo wave sailing. Anyway, I'll look for you during the next good sailing day or drop me an email outside this forum.

Rob
scargo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hit the water about 1:00, using a 7.0 strung tight. Definitely could have gone smaller. Wind stayed up all afternoon, quite steady, gradually clocking around to the north. By 4:30, I was beat & packed it in, with the wind still going strong.

I've never had a problem with the fishing pier -- I start from the little park a couple hundred yards to the east, giving me plenty of space to work upwind.

Anyway, not that I ever want to see Port Monmouth crowded like the Hook, but in the fall and spring, it's nice to have the added safety of some other people around.
dim27

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we sail here also, usually on E and NE, been there on Oct 8 and 11. We also rig at that little park that scargo mentioned.
tedbiczak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Directions to Port Monmouth Reply with quote

Can someone provide me with directions to this location. I tend to sail Sheltered Cove in Toms River on a NE which has great flatwater sailing past the channel but if a breakdown occurs there is nothing between you and a lot of bulkhead. I would love to try this place.

Thanks,
Twisted Evil
scargo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take 36 East from the Parkway, like you're going toward Sandy Hook. After Dosil's Sporting Goods make a jughandle at the light and head north on Main Street, Port Monmouth. Take a left on Wilson Avenue, when you get to the T in the road, you'll see the historic Spy House on the left (usually several cars there and people fishing). But go right about 100 yards, and turn left into the gravel lot with a split-rail fence. You can rig under the big trees or in a grassy median in the lot.
dim27

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, if you don't take a left on Wilson Avenue, just follow the Main Street, and you'll get exactly at the same spot (gravel lot) after crossing the Port Monmouth Rd. look here: Google map
USAM1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounding like the word is getting out about the spy house. I have had some epic days there. A word of warning, there are some old pilings a couple of hundred yards out, say at 1:00 -1:30 , standing on the beach looking out, that have claimed at least one fin box that i know of. they are only an issue at low tide on a full or new moon, (points of lowest water in the tide cycle), or when it blows like stink out of the west and the water gets pushed out of raritan bay. If you look at a nautical chart, the old pilings are listed. I think they were part of the old fish factory that used to be where the new condos are to the east of the launch. Stop in at the hot dog guy (Jersey Mike's ? i think ) right down the street. He serves up a pretty mean italian hot dog.
andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: