myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
drysuits vs wetsuits
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JRuffus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh yes i have triend that method dishwashing glove all sorts of special rubber gloves with insualtion underneath....i am not a big fan becuase the inner glves slips on the rubber glove...meaning you have to grip tighter which seems to limit blood flow and make the hands cold...the glacier glove has super sticky rubber, so you dont have to grip as hard, relaxing the hand and allowing good blood fow, but its all bout what works for each person, heck if the dishwashing glove trick works run with it baby
nchanaca

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: drysuit vs wetsuit Reply with quote

I stumbled on this thread while checking the tides. I am not a windsurfer, but I have dived with both wetsuits and drysuits in water temps as low as 38F. I've talked about cold water to divers who have done research in Antartica. Thought I'd put in my opinion for what it's worth.
Drysuits are for colder waters, once water temps go into the 40's and lower, wetsuits become extremely limited as to how much time can be spent in the water. Hypothermia is not a matter of will power. A drysuit can prolong survival for many more hours. Providing a drysuit doesn't have a catastrophic leak a little wetness is not going to be a bother.
You should take frequent breaks and not urinate in your drysuit (it's gross!) however, almost all drysuits (for diving) will get you damp or slightly wet, either thru small leaks, air purging out thru seals, or simply condensation or sweat...it is really not a problem, dry is a relative term. You are still much better off in a functioning drysuit and have a much longer survival time. It wouldn't surprise me if drysuited survivor with neoprene hood and gloves made it thru a cold night floating in the water, a person in a wetsuit probably wouldn't make it.
Although diving has different requirements ( I would dive dry below 50F water temps, and use a 6 or 7mm full wetsuit with hood and gloves for 50 to 70F) the concept is the same. If your going to spend more than an hour or so in sub 50 water you chances are better with a drysuit, even if you get a little wet.
enjoy your sport safely!
Nick
speedysailor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JRuffus, I used glacier gloves when younger. I have a very used and worn pair which remains beyond repair. Now, however, I am content with thinner gloves or the Dakine Mitts. As a matter of fact, I have been quiting the North Atlantic waters earlier in the season the more I age. You can pack your vehicle and drive to Fla. in three days with stop-overs. As to the debate in the thread, you can pack your wetsuits, fly to Miami, piss on Oneup/Pueno, keep a return trip ticket in your pocket and have enough for a room in a South Beach hotel with the price of a dry suit. Think about it.
bigairhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="speedysailor"]JRuffus, I used glacier gloves when younger. I have a very used and worn pair which remains beyond repair. =quote }

You waiting for new technology to bring those gloves back to repairable ? Rolling Eyes
clarencephil

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the urinating guy, just wear a diaper in your drysuit. Astronaut Nowak can teach you !
marccoe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been an interesting thread to follow.

I'm in NJ and been sailing (now kiting) year round for a while now. I have a kokatat gore tex drysuit and it's great. The sweat gets out and I stay warm. And their customer service is unbeatable. It's pricey, but worth it.

Marc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: