myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
MONDAY GOOD -TUESDAY EPIC - GODSEY PROXY
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently the wind is cranking at about a solid 25 knots at my house right now, and it's not even 9:00AM. However, I'm situated below the San Marcos Pass where the winds can kick up early, especially when the clouds are positioned along the ridge of the mountains behind Santa Barbara like they are right now.

It's too early to tell for sure, but it sure looks like another stellar day on tap. If it doesn't go off at the far western end of Goleta like it did yesterday, it's a pretty good bet for Jalama.
mikecole

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Steve,

Did you sail Haskells yesterday? I ended up sailing the J yesterday, pretty darn good 4.7m session. Looked like it got windy in town. Not sure I can get out today but If I can It'll be local... IV if we have any swell or Haskells if it's B&J.

Mike
nealpar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo Traig,

Careful with the identifying people by name thing....'cause what if someone, somewhere, somehow thinks I'm NOT AT THE BEACH ON A TUESDAY AFTERNOON....

NaImeeen? Wink

Thanks.
nealpar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capetonian, you didn't miss anything. While the windswell made for playful conditions, the wind itself was ridiculously gusty. At times virtually 0, followed by 25+ gusts. Kind of like sailing Castaic lake. You could "see" the wind coming. It got steadier after 5pm, but only for about 30 minutes. Not really worth blowing off a productive work day for it.
johnnycrash

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink I had fun. probably only sailed 45 min. total. but, the "playful" waves were nice and crumbly. Even though there was 20+ kites about ~ 8 sailors out, there were waves breaking everywhere. Lots of room, smiles, courtesy... kiters left, sailors middle&right, surfers right - even saw nealpar help land a kiter - you'd think "what conflict"?
Hope you guys get a go-out today,

JO
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

You must have missed my earlier post here last night. Yeah, I sailed Bacara yesterday. It was like the classic "Spring" clearing wind we all love so much.

I ran into a young kiter last night after he came back to pick up his kite bag after an earlier downwinder to IV, and he said that he kited Jalama earlier in the day. From our discussion, I learned that Will ventured up to Jalama with another sailor. I figured that it must have been you.

I thought about possibly making the run to the J, but finding Bacara really ripping instantly vaporized the idea of a further drive. It's so sweet to drive just 6-7 miles up the road and get a great session. I had a hard time wondering why nobody else was there. Of course, life has its mysteries.
jp5

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nealpar wrote:
Yo Traig,

Careful with the identifying people by name thing....'cause what if someone, somewhere, somehow thinks I'm NOT AT THE BEACH ON A TUESDAY AFTERNOON....

NaImeeen? Wink

Thanks.

So how much is it worth to you that they don't find out? Twisted Evil
gregorvass

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BROWN WINGS!
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like the last sailor (or even kiter) on the South Coast.

Another literally awesome day at Bacara, with conditions blistering in the highest 5.0 range. Frankly, it was even much better than yesterday evening, because it was a bit more onshore for simply stellar B&J conditions. Again, the conditions raged until sunset, without the offshore influence that can sometimes plague a later session.

Unbelievably, nobody there. I know that there are SB windsurfers around that could leverage the scene, but they didn't show. Maybe they chose to play in the kelp in the hopes of minimal waves at IV. However, there was no swell to speak of to really make IV the spot. Still, maybe the kiters found a better day overall. Nevertheless, IV wasn't my idea of the ideal for windsurfing. The kelp, tar and oil kind of makes the scene less than optimum.

Of course, I could be considered a bit prejuduced in that respect. Admittedly, the outside game at IV can be the best open ocean swell around. Yet overall, I didn't have to think about motoring back through the kelp to get home.
mikecole

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arggg! Wish I could have joined you today Steve but I had to sit in my office and watch the trees bend in 20knots of breeze. Worse yet, using binoculars from my patio I can see the off-shore platform that we reach towards on starboard tack from the Haskells launch and all I could see we're huge white-caps. Looked good today for sure.

Two solid days of westerlys are pretty sweet! Looks like wind through Sunday... At least NW wind. Booked again tomorrow Sad Maybe Friday in town or up to the J for some big'ol one hit mackers.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: