myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Ventura Sailing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MCDORO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Ventura Sailing Reply with quote

Where is the windsurfing? Thought it was, "C Street" but can't find it on the map. Other spots?

Thanks...

McDoro
kerplunk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: C Steet is California Street Reply with quote

"C Street" is actually California Street. Get off the 101 freeway at the California St. exit and go down to the Surfer's Point parking lot (behind the fair grounds). Decent surfing at C Street, but the wind is pretty lousy, usually very light or no wind. About the only time of year that there is wind is in the Spring. If you surf, there should be a good NW swell this Thursday.
sharkasm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: C-Street Info Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by sharkasm on Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MCDORO,

Sometimes I wonder why some folks (like our 2nd poster above) present a misleading view of potential windsurfing/kiting sites. Just doesn't make sense to me. Of course, Southern Califiornia windsurfing is generally a hit or miss scenario, as it's not super dependable like the SF Bay, Gorge or Maui can be during their prime times.

C Street can be one of the best locales along the South Coast when the conditions are right. October 5th was certainly excellent (I was on a 4.2), and the wind on October 7th and 9th wasn't too shabby (I was on 5.6 both these days). A lot of the game is just watching and waiting for the right signs to materialize.

One point of note is that the C Street sensor tends to read low for the last year or so. Because of this, it's better to use the high side of the wind range as a more suitable guide to conditions. More recently the sensor's direction indicator has been down, so it's best to review the Oxnard site for wind direction. Also, it's best to stay high on the point for the best wind. However, the top of the point by the river mouth is the favored launch for kiters, and there is usually a strong contingent present if conditions are sailable. But the great thing about C Street is that there's tons of room to move about.

Another nearby site is the Emma Wood State Beach Group site just west of C Street (about a 1/2 mile away). This spot is also favored by kiters when the sand beach is present, which can be about half the year, especially during the summer months. However, if you don't have a California State Park pass, the parking is very pricey ($8 a day). Emma can be a great alternative when large events are held at the Ventura County Fairgrounds, like during the 2 weeks in the summer when the County Fair is scheduled.
EddyBreffitt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"C"St. used to regularly blow 5.0 to 5.5 almost everyday, and until dark...it was great for the workingman. But now, it is much lighter, thus kiting there has taken over. I suspect that short of Jalama, "C" st gets the most surf of most any spot...it is amenable to most all swell directions.
However, there are some great days there like Steve says...I too was on a 4.0 by the end of day that day, with a huge swell...it does not get much better around here.
If the sensor starts hitting 17, time to windsurf, unless it is flat and then time to blow up the 9 or 6 kite!
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 years ago c street was regularly epic. There have been progressively more sailable days over the last 2 years in the spring and fall. Lets hope the trend continues. wnw 20+ forecasts and it's a go. I've sailed there at way over mast high when I was a young'un. Have seen gear washed into the pier. You know you're having fun when that happens. Twisted Evil
kerplunk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I was probably too harsh on C Street. I've spent a lot of days waiting for the wind to come up at C Street. But I've also spent a lot of days sailing there in super conditions. It has an excellent point break, and the wave can just keep peeling forever. And the wind is perfect side shore. If you can catch it on a day with wind and waves, it is definetly world class. Maybe this week it will all come together.
MCDORO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Ventura Reply with quote

Thanks all! Mkrasnoff....great tip, been a subscriber for years and never noticed the service, "Local Info" provides so well.
sharkasm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by sharkasm on Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
filipus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any rentals near the C Street?

I am from Europe and I don`t have the equipment here in US.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: