myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
drysuits vs wetsuits
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
speedysailor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you, ce3141592654, get your information about that kiter? I find your insinuation that any argument that fits the heading of this thread childish, a rather arrogant and counter productive one. Dry suits are dry until you have to urinate. If you are fully hydrated before putting one on, you are going to have to urinate eventually. If you suffer the effects of prolonged exposure and hypothermia like a kiter who has spent a full night in the long Island sound, you will be urinating more than normal (at least until you expire). In actuality, I did go into InlandSea to try a dry suit on recently. Phil, the owner who I've not only seen wearing a drysuit for kiting but also putting it on, convinced me that I didn't even have to do that. I left his shop with my Race suit, bought at considerably less than I would have paid for a dry. Futhermore, I'ld like to see a photo of a professional windsurfer in a dry suit. Most guys in dry suits are just trying to get their money's worth out of them in that they payed out big time.
ce3141592654

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the spring and fall I sail (well, they kite) very frequently with some very good friends of his that where there on that day.

I prefer to take a brake, unzip, and go rather than relieve myself in my dry suit but that's just me. You are correct about having to go but I find that when its so cold I dont' sail for more than 3 hours and can usually contain myself but sometimes breaks are needed.

You say, "I find your insinuation that any argument that fits the heading of this thread childish, a rather arrogant and counter productive one."

That is my exact point. I don't want to argue. Its a conversation but thanks for proving my point. I was only stating the fact that I like them and do not want to get into a debate. Someone asked people's opinion, I stated mine, and will not debate the issue past this as I really don't care. If you are trying to save a few bucks sure, stay with a wetsuit, but if spending an extra hundred or two won't break the bank then I feel its worth it. That's all. If you don't that's fine.

As far as the pros go... I think its a bit warm in Maui, Bonaire, or any other place most pros live for a dry suit. I really don't see your point. Nevertheless,
http://www.continentseven.com/windsurfmove518.html
http://www.continentseven.com/windsurfmove331.html

What do pros have to do with this anyway?
Frank4

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedy,

I never claimed the ability to spend the night in the water in winter.

Safe winter sailing requires caution, well maintained gear, careful location selection, warm suit, and expert ability. Even with all of that there are NO guarantees. One must be smart enough to pick and choose when to go out. I have sailed every month of the year the last three years, and have had many incredible sessions. (New York)

All of the winter windsurfers I know wear drysuits, all of them expert sailors. Winter windsurfing is not for the casual sailor, maybe you should go to Florida.
pueno

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedy Not-Too-Swift sailor wrote:
I find your insinuation that any argument that fits the heading of this thread childish, a rather arrogant and counter productive one.

Ahhh, Brucie, you never change do you? (As someone recently said, leopards, spots, etc., etc.)

Others here will have the pleasure of learning your ways and the joy of friendly banter with a Not-Too-Swift guy.
mogunn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank4 wrote:
All of the winter windsurfers I know wear drysuits, all of them expert sailors. Winter windsurfing is not for the casual sailor, maybe you should go to Florida.

Brucie doesn't wear a drysuit 'cuz it limits access to his weeder.

Embarassed

pueno

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coyotewindsurf wrote:
Brucie doesn't wear a drysuit 'cuz it limits access to his weeder.

Isn't that spelled "wiener"?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
spyder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysailor wrote:

Frank4 wrote:
The most important thing for me is safety. If you break down and have to spend any extended time in the water, the drysuit could save your life. It really is not difficult to get on and off. Also it keeps you much warmer standing around taking breaks ect. All the winter windsurfers around here wear drysuits. ( Long Island )
Don't delude yourself. A kiter that was lost in Long Island Sound a couple of winters ago was found fully soaked inside his dry suit because he couldn't hold his urine. Dry suits are warmer in the air, but not when you are immersed for a lengthy time in the water. Windsurfing in salt air and water dehydrates a body quickly. If you are prepared for a lengthy time on the water, you should be well hydrated before launching. That means you should be urinating in your suit. Otherwise you are prone to muscle cramps, cracked and bleeding lips and other rather nasty side effects. You shouldn't be standing around yakking in the wind either, but I've never had any complaint about shooting the breeze in frigid temps with my wetsuits on. I'm wearing a new stretchy O'Neil Psycho II this year. In addition , I've decided to start wearing an Impact Vest and think this will keep me warmer. A hood is a very important accessory as well. I've worn a tight vest inside with other suits. In addition you can use one of those neoprene trunks under the suit. I picked up one this summer. A long sleeve rash guard also might help. There very hard to find these days, but a full turtle neck makes the hood to neck connection work better than the mock turtles that are so common. I've been wearing a short sleeve one for years, but am thinking about finding a long one. My race suit (short sleeves) remains my warmest suit except for the chill factor on bare arms. The long sleeve wetsuit certainly does take more arm strength to use windsurfing. The stretchy one, although less tiring, has a chill factor due to the weave. It's my advise, though, that if you want to sail in the winter, go to Fla. That's what I've done and hope to do again. gt007, I never sail 40 degrees air or water temps and if you ask a professional windsurfer, he would not recommend it.

my..my..brucie you sure are full of information. quite a fixation on urinating. you know they have pills for that too. Shocked

as for the wetsuit you are wearing, it certainly fits "Psycho II". Laughing
pueno

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spyder wrote:
...as for the wetsuit you are wearing, it certainly fits "Psycho II".

Hmm. If Brucie was a kiter, then he could be a "psychokiter."

But, wait! He already IS "psychokiter" without even kiting. How did that happen?
JRuffus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you guys are totally missing the boat here. Its all about style right? That being said the best thing to do is lather your entire body with vaseline wear a Speedo slap on da harness and have at it. Now on a serious note I have sailed countless days in 35 degree water and 25 air snow flying and all that stuff. Living in new Hampshire on the ocean really no choice. A 5/4 q a hooded vest thick booties and glacier gloves the new pre curved ones are the set up. But also I do a 1 hour sesh get my jollies and go home. No dilly dally unless out of the suit. I have a bare polar dry suit as well and it is better overall but for the short duration the reward for hassle of that suit is not worth it. If I were going for a long sesh I may do the drysuit though. So there's that. I have even added the hooded vest over the drysuit for insane warmth. I think for under and hour wetsuit is fine over and hour drysuit tends to be better. The ice on the booms is usually more of a problem than the warmth for sure. But if its over 30 salt won't freeze. Huge key also is being wicked got before you hit the water. Best way no doubt is rig in winter clothes with too many layers on so you are sweating. Then crank the heat in your truck so got the atering wheel is mush out your suit and stuff on in there by that point you are seeing stray from being so hot you are about to pass out from heat frustration and the loud blaring music that you step outside into the frigid and it is a relief. That right there is the key. To be so friggin hot before you hit the water that you are almost angry from the heat. Then the cold is relief. Its a proven method try it you'll like it. When you get home you will have thought you were on the moon or something.
speedysailor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JRuffus, if you remember the thread about keeping your hands warm last year, I wanted to let you know about another method some guys have used successfully. They put a wool/polypro glove on underneath a good quality pair of dishwashing gloves. Then they tape the gloves shut with a waterproof duct tape.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: