myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Daily and extended discussions gone with Santa Ana ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnycrash

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Daily and extended discussions gone with Santa Ana ? Reply with quote

I guess that officially ends the season - and Godsey et al's
scientific predictions - it would'a been nice to see that it would RIP @ Leo yesterday- is there a cut-off date for the meterological reports? when do we get'em back? It's bad enough that the sensor was down for a long period during "Prime Time"
Just cathartic exercise... Confused
gregorvass

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I predict mostly crappy conditions with occasional possibility of marginal conditions. A mild chance for occasionally mostly shitty.

There is a strong chance of unexciting condition, with a possibility for shlogable wind.

Further there seems to no correlation between the meter and actual wind.
Sometimes it will read 10 and be 4.0 weather., and vice versa.

Wellcome to "CUTSIE TOWN", USA

Good Luck
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the scheme of things, windsurfing is perceived to be a seasonal sport, and for many it truly is. While it would be great to get year round windsurfing focused forecasts, I feel that it's very unlikely.

In reality, I kind of look at the discussion type forecasts as an extra bit of input, but not much more. Really, there still are a lot of great options in the computer generated forecasts. Beyond these great tools, I think that being aware of the weather, and by noticing certain kinds of changes that can occur, makes you more focused overall.

I say this, because even during the prime time when discussion forecasts are available, there are many windsurfing sites that lack sensors. On top of that, one must be aware that wind conditions can differ greatly over relatively short distances (8-10 miles). Being a bit more independent, focused, and adventurous in your view of things is only a good thing.
flynbri

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: We are on our own! Reply with quote

Yes I was equally frustrated that no "human" prediction is available again. It has been sailable at Sunset everyday but it's been completely unpredictable. I usually look at this satelite map for clues everyday. If there is more than 15 MB difference between High and Low pressures in your area it will be sailable.

http://virga.sfsu.edu/gif/sathts_pac_snd_00.gif

Otherwise we will be waiting until March of next year to get the old best bet predictions back....that ain't right! Sad
sharkasm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: here today, gone tomorrow Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by sharkasm on Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
johnnycrash

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mitch,

and as I look now Topanga is 16 -- f**k LEO IS DOWN AGAIN
I WANNA A REFUND OR A COUPON FROM SOLO SPORTS FOR A SAN CARLOS TRIP-- I'LL SEND MY CELL TO YOU ON THE OTHER SERVICE
Unfortuantely I have to bring my stuff to work - if I wanna sail after- leaving at 3:15
(I need a van model of the Zenn car (to leave my stuff in) that goes at least 45+mph and can travel 100 miles between charges - When they get that one, I'll be buying it - then I'll have to watch out for those does, fawns and bucks).
Camping at McGrath this weekend - I'll have every toy I own with me!
C-Street?

Later
JO
sharkasm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by sharkasm on Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
jp5

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregor's prediction pretty well covers it for the rest of the year. We'll just have to rely on Mitch for on-site reports from now on. Smile
windfind

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Southern California forecast sign off. Reply with quote

You guys are right, iwindsurf.com/ikitesurf.com should posted a notice in advance of the date forecasts ended for the season. I will make sure something gets posted next year.

Normally I post a personal sign-off the last day I forecast for Southern California but I simply forgot this year.

So here it is:
Thanks for all your support this forecast season, especially those of you who took the time to send in local knowledge and wind reports. Southern California has complex topography and none of the super computer models can begin to resolve all the details that determine what the wind is going to to each day. So though I spend hours each day looking at all the computer data the bottom line is that it takes years to learn how that data is shaped by very local conditions at each site. With your continued help the forecasts will continue to slowly improve.

Have a great winter and I will see you next spring!

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com/ikitesurf.com
Baja Guide
mike@iwindsurf.com

LaVentana.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  206.83 KB
 Viewed:  13475 Time(s)

LaVentana.jpg

sharkasm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by sharkasm on Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: