myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Long Boarding in So. Cal, need advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madmax7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Long Boarding in So. Cal, need advice Reply with quote

Well this is the time of year when I start to wonder how many sailing days are left... I start planning a Thanksgiving get away (San Felipe), December or Jan (La Ventana), then I hold my breath and spring is here...

But wait... I live in So. Cal, there's almost always a breeze in our ocean spots , thus my interest in a long board.

Some of you are paddling boards out there, any wsurfers using these to sail?

I'm considering the Konas and if anyone has any experience with these or other brands it would be helpful. I am not too sure I want make paddling one of the main reasons to have, though it would be nice to paddle when I get desperate and its glass (since these boards are too wide to to take out wo a stand up paddle).

Im 175 lbs and the advice is that if your primary issue is lite wind sail (2knts plus) get the 10.5, but to do any paddling 11.5 is the one to get. If any of you have the 10.5 how does it do in SUP? (I wonder if the 11.5 is too darn big?).

Thanks, Max.
PS, I have plenty of high wind "stuff" for when the wind shows up...Also if it is really glass I have a 9ft surfboard (but not crazy bout surfing, too much down time on water)... Confused
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Max,

Most of the guys using SUPs with sails in the surf are using relatively small sails in the 5.7-6.2 range. Really, just enough to catch waves and motor out through the break. The thing about SUPs is that they have considerable rocker so that they can effectively ride waves. Because of this, the value of a large sail is kind of meaningless. If you don't intend to ride waves, I think that the Starboard Serenity or a more traditional raceboard would give you more speed relative to the wind in super light conditions.
madmax7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Hey swchandler Reply with quote

My intent is to ride waves, I have slalom boards, and wanted to play in 2 to 10Knots of wind. Which we seem to have plenty of those days at the beach.

Its just that so many times the wind is barely hitting 10 to 15 and Im sitting waiting and dont feel like going out and holding up the sail. Would Like to get out and play in the surf.

Take today for example, Sunset, Seal, Leo Carrillo... so many places to have fun but have subpar winds...

Max.

PS I appreciate you comment about sail size, thats coming up with my next set of questions for those with experience with these boards.
mikecole

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Max,

I paddle and sail an SOS big blue. I also own an SOS big green but I've not sailed it yet. I use a 4.7m or a 5.8m sail. As Steve points out, you don't need or want a lot of sail power, just enough to get out through the break and catch waves. Having a SUP board with a mast track takes you from zero wind (use a paddle) to about 12 knots (use a small sail). Above 12 knots and your using a big wave board.

You should look seriously at the SUP boards from Starboard. They we're developed with input from Jeff Hederson who's got more expierience sailing SUP sized boards than pretty much anyone.

Hope this helps. Mike
laci

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmax, check out the Hot Sails longboard forum; it seems to be the world headquarters for longboard surf sailing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: