myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
LeCounts Hollow versus the Cut
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gt007

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: LeCounts Hollow versus the Cut Reply with quote

Given that a decent NE is forecasted for Sunday, any thoughts on whether LeCounts Hollow or the Cut are worth the trip or is it better to stick with Mayflower and Chapin?
KiteBob

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends of your level and your preferences, freeride/freestyle or waveriding?

LeCount or White Crest are real great spots for big waves surfing/waveriding on fairly good winds (20 knots and above) but you could also have a very hard time passing the shorebreaks if the wind tends to shift close to on-shore (ENE or ESE).

At The Cut, you can choose between freestyling inside the bay on a rather flatwater or small chops, or you can go ride on the outside to play in the ocean waves. Since the outside shores of the cut form a V shape, you often can get big waves moving perpendicular to the wind on a NE or SE for premium frontside surfing, Maui style! Quite a great thrill...
Beware though of the strong tide current and avoid going out on a outgoing tide.

Chapin and Mayflower are much safer and easier spots and with warmer water. But you won't find big waves there unless it's blowing real hard. You just really don't want to get there around low tide, unless you like taking long walks while dragging up your equipment.
Skaket Beach is also an option to consider but with mostly the same advantages and drawbacks.

On the north shore, I would definitly suggest you Corporation Beach. The parking's very close to the launch, no steep hills to walk up and down and, most of all, very nice and well spaced waves on good NE winds. Also the low tide doesn't set back very far. Just beware of the rocks near the shore and closeby the rocky point.

Have a great one!

Bob
gt007

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like wavesailing, but I am definitely not used to onshore wavesailing (in Rio whenever we got any wavesailing it was definitely always side-off)and I guess I probably do not want to deal with the type of tidal currents that could be a possible problem at the Cut. So, I will definitely give Corporation Beach a try on Sunday.

Thanks for the information, it was quite helpful.
Number-nine

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gt007

send me a note off the forum and I can steer you to some good wave sailing venues. I think you can use the iwindsurf message center and i will email you from there
speedysailor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly from reading these forum messages, I must be the only guy that had to drag his gear a long way back to the parking Corporation lot at at a low tide. My deduction would be that since no one thinks that is a long haul, the other Dennis north shore beaches must be a nightmare. The best wave sailing in a N.E. in New England would be Long Sands in York, Me. However, I've heard that it's become rather popular with surfers lately.
Number-nine

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to post here.

Cape wave locations:

Background:
I think I have over 200 sessions at the cut in the last 4 years in all seasons and all conditions.
I live in Dennis and have sailed the north side beaches for over 15 years

Here is a general outline of wave spots:
There are no south side wave locations on the cape.
There may be waves that you can jump and sort of ride but they are minor.

Corporation.
Best direction wnw-nw. nnw and N are dead onshore and sailable but not really fun
Waves are really wind swells. with a short period
Can be knee high to over head high
Work for all tides although out going tide gives good pitch to the wave
Port out starboard riding
Very little current

Chapin/Mayflower
Best direction ene-ne
Similar to Corporation with wind waves
Big walk at low tide.
I think that barnstable-Brewster N beaches are all similar to Chapin/Mayflower

The cut or Chatham light:

A bunch of ground rules
You must be comfortable in all of the following conditions: Sometimes all on one tack
If you are not you will suffer until you are good in all of the following
Most windsurfers do not come often enough to get there
Sailing over powered mandatory
Sailing with nearly no wind
There are strong currents
Current due to the tidal flow
Current due to the wind and wave flow
These currents can makke it seem likke there is no wind or too much
Be aware of the tides. It is sailable at all tides but the flow is important.
The tide can makke the wave shape or hurt it, help you out by pulling you upp wind or be your worst nightmare sending you to the rocks or out to sea
There can be insane chop
Be able to launch in shore break
The wind can die very quickly, And you will get a good swim
Fog can come and blind you. You must be aware of your location at all times
Sea life: At least 1000 seals and the critters (sharks) that eat them are around. some times whales
Stay away from the seals if they are on the beach. Go near them and you will have hundreds in the water around you
Parking: There is a small parking lot. You can not park there in the summer season June-labor day.
Always go with a sailing buddy.
Always check your gear. A break down can be a long swim and or walk
The best waves are far away from the launch and can be very isolated.
North wave locations are now off an island
South wave locations are at least a 1 mile walk.
Right in front sucks

Wind direction:
It works clock wise for N-SW
There are no wind meters to tell you it is good or not. Only faith and experience works
Do not go if it is WSW to NNW. The wind is off shore and with an out going tide it could be a one way trip. Also there is a high bluff that blocks the wind.

Waves every thing from true ground swell waves to wind chop
Waves can be knee high to over mast high depending on conditions.
The waves are best on a variety of sand bars.
These bars move all of the time.
The conditions change with the tides

Best conditions
SW with a ground swell ie off shore storm (happens maybe once a year)
N-NE drive by off shore storms.
In SW go south
In N go north
ENE-S can be good but very onshore for the wind. Some of the biggest waves though.

Recommended gear
A board with volume – to half you weight in lbs. 150 lbs= 75 liters etc
Rig bigger than you think you need. I use a 5.3 or 4.7 and the JP FSW85.
The best wave riding is up wind and up current. So be prepared to travel

Other outer cape locations
All of the cut conditions apply to the beaches from Chatham to Ptown.
The change is the wind directions that work.
All have strong currents and rip tide when the waves have any size.
Most will not work for side off winds as the high coastal bank blocks the wind where the waves are.
Go only if it is side shore at that location and with a good swell and you may get lucky. Side off is no wind, side on is broken gear in the shore break
Most locations are beach breaks
Number-nine

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to say why to go
If you have watched the windsurfing movie and the wave sailing in that
The outer cape can deliver that kiind of wave condition.
Not always. But when is does it is so worth it
speedysailor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good synopsis, Peter. Let me add something which has been discussed here. Chapin when the wind blows out of the N.E. and the tide is rising has very strong currents going into Barnstable Harbor. You can be taken beyond the point there, it is nearly impossible to return to the parking lot launch. I talked to a kiter who I believe was sailing the cut or thereabouts the other day. He told me he found himself in a colony of seals and was rather un-nerved about being a meal for a shark.
amarie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also wondered if the influx of seals affected the windsurfing. I saw and heard a bunch of them a little ways down from the lighthouse (but it never got windy enough to rig, so I have yet to sail there). I wondered if you might even bump into them sailing like you do sometimes with fish or jellyfish elsewhere. But it seems a little more problematic to bump into something which is large enough to really jostle you and is possibly being stalked by great whites (I was reading the shark reports over the summer).
sollner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: LeCounts Hollow versus the Cut Reply with quote

Nice summary, Peter. Thanks for the advice on the cut. I've only sailed there a couple of time over 20 years, once it was friendly, another time it was challenging.

Note on Corporation: as of last weekend, the town still had a line of swimming buoys just where you would want to launch. When the tide is right, you can launch by squeezing by them on their west end near the rocks, but they are a major impediment to sailing the waves when the tide comes in. If you go to their east end to avoid them, it's a long beat or walk back to the launch. Hopefully the town will retreive them soon.

PS: Where is LeCount's?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: