myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
07 JP Freestyle Wave 85L vs. 07 Real World Wave 83L

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skiandsurf420

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: 07 JP Freestyle Wave 85L vs. 07 Real World Wave 83L Reply with quote

I am looking for a second board to add to my 104L Jp Super X board. I have narrowed it down to one of these two boards - 07 JP Freestyle Wave 85L or 07 JP Real World wave 83L. Can anyone give me some suggestions on pros/cons of each of these two boards? Which one would be a better compliment to my 104L Super X?
mwilly

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW here's my view:
I got a JP 06 FSW 93L as my biggest board for northeast US onshore wavesailing and 5.5M-6.0M flatwater sailing. The FSW is too freestyle oriented for me, I probably should have gotten something like the RWW. I am not into any new school moves and don't go backwards at all (too old I guess to go after these new moves). The width and the nose chines are not an advantage for me. My take is that this is most likely a great board if you are more freestyle oriented (the smaller FSW could be different though I suspect). The 93L FSW planes up quick like crazy which is good but it feels too wide and unruly at speed and in the air for me (I'm 5'8" and 155 lb). It also doesn't slash and jibe like I'm used to. I am a bit biased because I'm used to narrower shapes that are quicker edge to edge for slashing, and more directionally stable at high speed. I do enjoy it though in less than well powered conditions (i.e. flatwater, not sailing superfast or jumping) when I can't plane as well on a trad wave shape.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strongly disagree...are you talking about the FSW or the JP Freestyle? (I own both) The Freestyle Wave is not freestyle oriented at all, in my opinion. It's really a bump and jump board. The name "freestyle wave" is a misnomer across the industry, IMO. When comparing freestyle wave boards to pure wave boards, I think you get a little more early planing and straightline speed from the FSW's vs a little more slashability from the wave boards.

mwilly wrote:
FWIW here's my view:
I got a JP 06 FSW 93L as my biggest board for northeast US onshore wavesailing and 5.5M-6.0M flatwater sailing. The FSW is too freestyle oriented for me, I probably should have gotten something like the RWW. I am not into any new school moves and don't go backwards at all (too old I guess to go after these new moves). The width and the nose chines are not an advantage for me. My take is that this is most likely a great board if you are more freestyle oriented (the smaller FSW could be different though I suspect). The 93L FSW planes up quick like crazy which is good but it feels too wide and unruly at speed and in the air for me (I'm 5'8" and 155 lb). It also doesn't slash and jibe like I'm used to. I am a bit biased because I'm used to narrower shapes that are quicker edge to edge for slashing, and more directionally stable at high speed. I do enjoy it though in less than well powered conditions (i.e. flatwater, not sailing superfast or jumping) when I can't plane as well on a trad wave shape.

farabi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 07 JP Freestyle Wave 85L vs. 07 Real World Wave 83L Reply with quote

i would advise against 07 FSW 85. iit was totaly redesigned for 07 and is purely freeride board. it does not feel loose as it used to feel. i own fsw 77 from 05 and it is way more fun to sail.

as far as rww goes, 83 felt a bit too big for a wave board. it would not be significant enough jump in size from 104. you should really go with 76 instead. that is rww has quite wide tail, so it really feels quite a bit bigger. 83 feels like 90 and 76 feels around 85. RWW does not handle well in the chop . It is a wave board. Don't buy it unless you plan for the waves. Ride in the chop is too bumpy!

skiandsurf420 wrote:
I am looking for a second board to add to my 104L Jp Super X board. I have narrowed it down to one of these two boards - 07 JP Freestyle Wave 85L or 07 JP Real World wave 83L. Can anyone give me some suggestions on pros/cons of each of these two boards? Which one would be a better compliment to my 104L Super X?
mwilly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, everythings relative, that's why I tried to explain my preferences to show where I'm coming from. I am talking about the Freestyle Wave (FSW). I have the 93L and have also sailed the 85L FSW. For my taste they are too wide and less quick edge to edge, and unruly for me on big jumps compared to a more traditional design, that's all I'm trying to say. With my limited background in freestyle I was equating wider as better for freestyle, maybe that's wrong. Just thought I'd mention my POV.....we all know rating this stuff is very subjective. Anyway it is a very nice board for me for the tamer conditons I mentioned in the original post.

PeconicPuffin wrote:
I strongly disagree...are you talking about the FSW or the JP Freestyle? (I own both) The Freestyle Wave is not freestyle oriented at all, in my opinion. It's really a bump and jump board. The name "freestyle wave" is a misnomer across the industry, IMO. When comparing freestyle wave boards to pure wave boards, I think you get a little more early planing and straightline speed from the FSW's vs a little more slashability from the wave boards.

mwilly wrote:
FWIW here's my view:
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That all makes sense. I think the JP Freestyle Waves and the Fanatic Freewaves are great boards, but the word "freestyle" or suggestion of it is really a bit misleading. They're bump/wave boards, not freestyle wave.

mwilly wrote:
Well, everythings relative, that's why I tried to explain my preferences to show where I'm coming from. I am talking about the Freestyle Wave (FSW). I have the 93L and have also sailed the 85L FSW. For my taste they are too wide and less quick edge to edge, and unruly for me on big jumps compared to a more traditional design, that's all I'm trying to say. With my limited background in freestyle I was equating wider as better for freestyle, maybe that's wrong. Just thought I'd mention my POV.....we all know rating this stuff is very subjective. Anyway it is a very nice board for me for the tamer conditons I mentioned in the original post.

PeconicPuffin wrote:

mwilly wrote:
FWIW here's my view:

eliot10

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much do you weigh SKIANDSURF? I own a 83 RWW 2005 . From my experience and some of my friends who have ridden my board, the RWW suits heavier sailors due to its width ( 60 CM ). I have sailed the board at la ventana, san carlos, and sunset beach in LA. It feels pretty stiff to me ( 150 lbs. ) It also feels very slugish in open ocean sailing but the bouncing never bothered me. I jumps well with wind 18-20 knts beyond the wind there is no need to be on that board. I hope you get an opinion from someone of around 180 to 190 lbs. I also own a 78 JP FW pro which I use with wind between 22-24 knts average. A bit of a slalom oriented board with lots of jumping abilities, very controlalble in the air, it also planes very quickly due to its light construction ( 11 lbs ). Unlike bigger JP boards , you don't have to rail the board very hard as you enter your jibes and once through the corner of your jibe , you can flatten the board and it'll just keep planing.
My favorite board and almost everyday board is my rrd 85 FW 2006. It really feels like 85 liters whera as the 85 JP feels a bit bigger. I mean this board has range. At my weight I can go from 15 knts to 22 averg. gusting no more than 28. and if I didn't bring a smaller board I just throw a smaller fin with either a 5.8 or 5.5 sail.
Try to demo a few boards before you commit to something expensive. Myself, a have based my choice of board by reading reviews from diffrent windsurfing magazines. I do regret buying the 83 RWW, I can not even give it away.
Best, eliot
jordanwd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My impressions are just like yours mwilly...
I got the FSW93 (2007) as a replacement for my light wind wave board when the fin box blew out, for me its a pig on the water- doesn't turn worth a crap, and feels to big for evan 5.2 conditions (bounces all over the place on big chop or in the impact zone) (i weigh 200#).. it was a total waste of money (for me at least).. I just ordered a Evo80 & am sure that it will meet my needs much better than the JP FSW93.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: