myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Chesapeake Bay launch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aslinde

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Chesapeake Bay launch Reply with quote

Had a fun day at Queen Ann's Marina on the Eatern Shore of the Bay. The Harbor Master, Patrick, would be excited to have windsurfers return and use his beach to launch. All he asks is that we check in when we get there at the marina office, and buy a soda or something at his store.

In case you do not know this place - It is a grassy knoll at the waters edge with a 20' sandy beach - it looks good for any wind with some west in it all the way to due north. At about 20-300 yds out I touched something with my foot while I was waterstarting and I freaked a bit because it was big and a little smooshy (first thought - giant man eating Sturgeon) until I realised it was the bottom - sandy, muckish typical bay bottom....and, of course, watch out for the crab pots.

As a final thought, when using this place we should keep our gear stowed and be mindfull that a few years ago they didnt want windsurfers there - lets try and enjoy this under their radar..........

a
wazenski

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: How was the conditions at Queen Anne's Reply with quote

Good to know that Queen Anne's is inviting windsurfers back. How's the parking and rigging situation. A while back, they put up some fences that prevented entry.

BTW, I'm interested in comparing conditions. When did you sail and what equipment were you on on Saturday?

I sailed at the mouth of the Severn River near Tolly Point. I was on my 6.4 with a 96 liter wave board. The water was very chippy due to the many boats out. I was powered most of the time with 1 or 2 well powered gusts and about a half dozen lulls. I sailed from 9:00 to 11:30, when the bottom dropped out of the wind.

Thanks,
Mike
aslinde

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parking was fine - rigging was grassy - dont know about what it will be like when the harbor's busy...... didnt go out Saturday.

Friday the wind came up at exactly 100pm - sailed a 7.5ezzy on a 150l tiga(2003?, old), winds were gusty from 15-20, moderate chop not a boat in sight,

My new 102l board came on saturday while i was coaching soccer........next windy day will be.......
Joshjmi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Wind last weekend Reply with quote

I was down in Oxford Friday evening and then Saturday. There were two of us out friday 8.5 ish and then 6 Saturday morning on 6.5 powered up 80% of the time. I'm new to the eastern shore and wasn't sure were else to go Oxford was nice grass to rig but there are some wind holes. Where is Queen Anne's Marina?

Thanks,
Josh
wazenski

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Launch Reply with quote

Here is a map link:

TomL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Another option... Reply with quote

Glad to hear that there are people sailing on the shore!
Great launch S all the way to NNW at the Rock Hall Beach
Grass rigging, Beach sailing, park right there.
WNW fronts are the best
Two three people out when 20+

Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: