myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
SF Bay area fall winter sailing?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tsokat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are all very lucky to be living in an area, which, even conservatively speaking, has an 8 month long season. For those who don't mind storm chasing, we have year round sailing. We also have year round mountain biking on great trails and have the option of skiing or snowboarding 3-4 hours away during the winter and direct flights to Maui and Baja during their seasons. This is, indeed, as one poster put it, "a sportsman's paradise."
carl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergem wrote:

So November is the time when one's old wetsuit definitely is no going to cut it Smile

Sergey,
Looking at September vs Jan water readings for Pt Reyes, even the warmest is only about 57-58 (if you take a moving average). Winter average about 50. That old wetsuit doesn't cut it in the warmest month in the ocean either. So you'll probably wear the same (thick) suit in summer or winter maybe adding a hood cause it's only about 7 or 8 deg difference (which was my point).
(OTOH the ocean water temp does change more than I thought though)

In contrast Alameda, the average summer temp goes up to 68 (shorty weather) and the winter drops 18 deg to around 50.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tsokat...agree 100% and i believe I was the poster. Each season rolls into the next like an endless rollercoaster ride. Freakin beeeeeeeeeeutiful.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Fall Winter windsurfers>>>>> today is a Fall day. What should I do If want to windsurf today.

Boggsy
jse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
Hey Fall Winter windsurfers>>>>> today is a Fall day. What should I do If want to windsurf today.

Boggsy

Boggsy,

Turn around and go back to Maui Smile Nothin on the horizon as far as I can see. BTW, you missed a good one last week. 3.5 everywhere in the bay. (I'd take Maui over that anyway)

Steve
boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve.

Even though Ive mentally packed it in, Im on the lookout for a crazy little stretch of NW goodness.

Boggsy
carl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:

Boggsy

Get out the "picnic table" board and a big ol' sail, looks like fall season is here!!

Actually Coyote looks like it may have been about 6.0/6.5 yesterday after 3pm.
JoeT

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys new to windsurfing but long term surfer...

regarding 'what to do in winter', IMHO, pick up surfing. nobody is asking you to be one of the crazies out @ mavs/HMB, but try a longboard in an overhead day@ one of the SC breaks (steamer, 38th, pleasure pt, cowells, 41st, etc.) and you're bound to be hooked. There will be double to triple overhead days every winter @ the lane, guaranteed. Mind you I stick to the 6-8' days myself (or just let the monsters roll through if I'm out in the bigger stuff), but if you're a windsurfer, you've got some pretty highly complementary skills to conventional surfing. December through Feb. can be absolute paradise for a norcal surfer. It doesn't get any better in CA then we get it here.

If you think the SF Bay area is good for wind all summer long... try Central California in the winter for surfing. You are living in a surfers paradise and possibly don't even know it. Summer sucks for surfing (well, unless you're used to east coast/FL conditions), 1-3' all summer long. Rideable, but yawnable.

anyways my $0.01 with what to do in winter

also, regarding mtbing (somebody posted it earlier) it has been my experience that most of the better trails that I like in the santa cruz mountains/south bay area get 'washed out' and are closed seasonally beginning not long after the first rain or two in decemeber... not opening again until march or so. This includes places like soquel/demo forest and most of the stuff off of highway 17/9. Maybe not in your area, but we get killed in the southbay/peninsula. At least the last several years that I've been riding here anyways.

And as mentioned earlier: you've got to get at least a few days skiing/boarding in. If Tahoe gets you down, IMHO Utah is actually cheaper and quicker to the slopes then Tahoe for somebody in the bay. Work it out yourselves (I have) car rental vs. driving (+depreciation), lift ticket vs. lift ticket, shuttle to hotel (free in UT) + lift ticket is free at Park City and many other Utah locations if you show them a plane ticket from the current day (aka just off the plane) and hotels/lodging are cheaper too. You won't need to rent a car. And by the time you get to highway 50 or so from the Bay you'll be putting your boots on in UT. :p
mogunn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl wrote:
Get out the "picnic table" board and a big ol' sail

Or perhaps a longboard and a not-so-big sail. Wink

carl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coyotewindsurf wrote:
carl wrote:
Get out the "picnic table" board and a big ol' sail

Or perhaps a longboard and a not-so-big sail. Wink

Mo, did you set sail with that aircraft carrier yet? Laughing

Seriously, it looks like it could be fun, especially in small surf.
Too bad it's too long for the space in my garage or inside the minivan, damn.
Too bad full size vans suckup so much gas, and drive like Greyhound buses. It could be like a rolling garage, doubledamn.
Who would have though longies would come back!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: