myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Accidents at the Hatch?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WMP

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Accidents at the Hatch? Reply with quote

There's been some talk about a couple accidents at the Hatch in the last couple weeks. Someone told me today they heard over the emergency radio that there was a collision on the river yesterday with a very serious injury. Also, a couple weeks ago there was a collision of two windsurfers resulting in a death.... from what I heard, the dead woman windsurfer was a doctor?

Any validity to these stories?
ericandholly

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

collision yes, he went to ER, but walked himself into ambulance. Death, no.
WMP

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericandholly wrote:
collision yes, he went to ER, but walked himself into ambulance. Death, no.

Must have been the collision that happened yesterday?

What about another collision that happened a couple weeks ago... my friend said there was a windsurfing fatality at the Hatch on the river involving a doctor. Anyone hear about this?
anhkancook

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: accidents at the hatch Reply with quote

hey, its me, the doctor.. and yes, i was hit while sailing at the hatch.. i was hit by a swell sailor who obviously didnt see me... death, no... but it really put a damper on my season, as i ended up with a bone contusion and an open cut to my other ankle from the fin and couldnt sail for three weeks... not to mention the damage it did to my gear... total bummer..... but hey, im still alive and kickin...
WMP

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you're alright, doc!! Sorry to hear about the damage... did the swell rider stop and help, or just keep going? Nothing worse than a hit-and-run jerk.
jimoakes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WMP wrote:
Glad to hear you're alright, doc!! Sorry to hear about the damage... did the swell rider stop and help, or just keep going? Nothing worse than a hit-and-run jerk.

Who are the sailors who ran into these people? Please speak up and identify them if they hit-and-ran. We need to get this out in the open for the safety of all on the water.

Accidents can happen ,but I for one would want to watch out and stay away from anyone who is know to hit and run.

If you have an accident on the water you need to help that person in and pay for all the damages if you are obviously at fault. I'm not a legal or insurance expert, but I think most homeowners or renters insurance will cover sports accidents.
If you hit and run you may have legal trouble.

My board was hit while waterstarting in July at the Hatch. The damage was a deep fin slice into the board. The sailor offered to pay for the board right on the spot, without me having to ask. It is the right way to handle an accident, in my opinion.
WaveSlayer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's okay to hit-and-run Canadians and Euros!
Some actually encourage it.
advgeek

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jimoak"]
WMP wrote:

My board was hit while waterstarting in July at the Hatch. The damage was a deep fin slice into the board. The sailor offered to pay for the board right on the spot, without me having to ask. It is the right way to handle an accident, in my opinion.

Back in my kook days I sliced off the top 1/4 of a guys mast with my fin. Went down to the shop with him and bought him a new one right then and there. No hard feeling either way after that. Although later that day my mast snapped off at the ferrule while just sailing along. How's that for karma. After that I learned to give a wide wide berth to everyone, especially those in the water.
WMP

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

advgeek wrote:
Went down to the shop with him and bought him a new one right then and there

Dang..... I could use a new mast !! Next time I have a collision, I hope it's with you and that it's your fault.

Last time I had a collision it was few years ago with a hit & run dude (his fault) who inflicted $150 of carnage to my board and nearly killed me (honest).... NEVER even got a "sorry dude" from him!!
anhkancook

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

didnt recognize the guy.. definitely not one of the regulars at the hatch. he stopped briefly as we were both knocked well off the boards.. he asked if i was ok, and then was off... luckily, i was helped onto shore by several of my buddies and someone else retrieved my gear.. ankles arent quite the same...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: