myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kiter death at Belmont
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rowena

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to go off-topic, but check out Fradge's afro!

It rivals Wilt Chamberlain in the 80s. I expect to hear "Earth, Wind and Fire" on the 8-track tape deck...
jsalow

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: confirmation Reply with quote

http://www.presstelegram.com/ci_6847394
rowena

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve often thought about taking up kiting, when I see the guys having so much fun, ripping across the water, carving turns, and on 10-12 knot days. Not many newbies lately to windsurfing, at least in our area, so I’ve been thinking maybe we’re the dinosaurs, the “soft-bellied 50 year olds” who cling to windsurfing, when the way to go is kiting. I know a lot of you have felt the same way.

But hearing about the beaches closed to kiters, injuries, and deaths. And now the poor guy in Belmont Shore, so close to home. Drowning is a horrible death. Now we’re arming ourselves with knives, to save a kiter we see entangled in lines, or ourselves, if we get tangled, as DaBull’s post illustrated. Billy bought a big knife months ago to carry while windsurfing. It looked like he and Apocalypto were about to hack their way through the Amazon jungle.

I still believe river kayaking is one of the most dangerous sports on the planet. After 3 friends and I survived a 10-day river trip down the Desolation and Gray canyons in Utah during spring run-off, 70-plus monster rapids, massive waves, almost died numerous times, ran out of food, scared witless. After that I said I’d never again be in a craft that you couldn’t exit easily from. River kayaks used to be only made of fiberglass, which would break up when pinned against submerged rocks in big water. Then came rubber boats, indestructible and cheaper. Problem is, kayakers became pinned and drowned. In kayaking you have to master the roll to get out of a tight spot. I did, but then when you’re racing down the river, upside down, toward a boulder as big as a Volkswagen, your instinct for survival takes over, and you pull the spray skirt and bail.

Maybe it’s a touch of claustrophobia on my part, but I love windsurfing because if I’m in trouble I can jump off my board and I’m clear of the whole mess.

Sorry for this long rant, friends, but I’d hate to see any of you, my brothers and sisters, wind up in the obituaries. Let’s be careful out there.
johnb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Hook knives Reply with quote

I thought hook knives came standard in all Dakine kite harnesses? Look in your back pocket - both of mine have one. They do not appear to be too dangerous and would seem to do exactly what they are supposed to do.
johnnycrash

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MY CONDOLENCES TO MR. CHUA'S FAMILY & FRIENDS.
I PROBABLY LOOK LIKE A KOOK WITH MY HYDRATION PAK BUT, AFTER SPENDING ALMOST 2 HOURS SELF RESCUING AT LEO LAST FEB. - I DECIDED TO RETIRE MY OLD (MOUNTAIN BIKING) CAMEL BAK AND USE IT ON THE WATER.
1) WATER
2) INFLATABLE BLADDER
3) *WATER-PROOF CELLPHONE COVER ($13 AT REI)
4) 15' OF NYLON STRAP
5) SPECTRA LINE
6) WHISTLE
7) SIGNAL FLASHER
Cool OUTSIDE MOUNTED DIVE KNIFE
9) SHARK REPELLANT -(KIDDING)
I KNOW ONE SHOULD NOT GO IT ALONE IN THE WATER - BUT SOMETIMES I FIND MYSELF COMPELLED OR ABANDONED - AND I'D LIKE TO HAVE BETTER CHANCES.
MOST KITERS I SEE, ARE NEVER SOLO, BUT TRAVEL IN TWOS OR PACKS AND REGULARLY ASSIST EACH OTHER IN LAUNCH/LAND
" A BUDDY SYS. IS BEST"
ALOHA
alexw

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My condolences to the family and freinds of Yam Poh Chua.

-Alex
clem

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windsurfdewd wrote:
...,the last thing we need is an arena to start carrying knives,,,,we are all wind brothers...

Sorry, but I think you are misunderstanding this. The point of carrying a cutting device, is so you can cut somebody free from the lines if that person is hopelessly tangled up.

There's actually a cutting device that has the blade recessed, so that you can't hurt yourself (or anyone else.) The benefit would be that you could also cut the lines one handed without having to unfold a blade.

I'm going to get one of those.
coolmtnbiker048

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Color ad removed Reply with quote

Color ad for riverboarding removed from forum devoted the tragic death of Belmont kiter.
nealpar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexK, maybe I'll e-mail your boss at Face level, and let him know how unf'n inappropriate you are! What unbelievable gall, to promote yourself at a topic such as this one. Rowena, you're no better. You're just one big walking nonsequitur. Both soooo uncouth and inappropriate.
dabull1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:16 am    Post subject: A Phenomenon? Reply with quote

I know that this may reveal the snag [sensitive new-age guy] in me , but has anyone noticed that W/S and kiters are posting together in this thread united by sadness and new found concern for safety without the usual hostility? Maybe Mr Poh's passing is healing the rift between us? Death tends to focus one on the important issues in life. Enough Dr Phil for this evening... Bull PS, echo Nealpar on the the Facelevel BS. If you go Facelevel over a falls in the Kern Canyon you'll be counted on that" lives lost this year" sign you see entering the canyon from the Bakersfield side on the way to Isabella: rocks and skulls, bad combination!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: