myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Movin ON - Any Good reports from Cape Cod this Weekend

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ron.c

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Movin ON - Any Good reports from Cape Cod this Weekend Reply with quote

2 days in a row on my new '06 Naish Session 4.2.

Along with the setup, was a new 370 Fiberspar 40% carbon tidal wave and a new Chinnok alloy wave boom (which replaced by newly broken, tail piece, Fiberspar All Carbon Wave Boom)

Oh ya, of course, with my old favorite 1991 Haut. You all are sick and tired of my fettish with old boards, but I think it may be of interest to tell you how the old and new marry up.

I will admit that I can't point up wind really high, but it doesn't seem to diminish the fun factor. I still get to go where I want. In general, my simple mindedness doesn't seem to detect an "out of balance" issue. Yesterday during a short but good session at Kalmus and today at Skaket, the only thing that I would change is an upgrade to a RDM mast. The Tidal Wave is tight in the sleeve which mandates external inducing via my foot. Because I'm just a back and forth sailor, it's not that big a deal. Hopefully the sleeve will soften up in time, as most do.

Although the boom is a downgrade from carbon, the head locking mechanism is great. Noting that I've been lucky enough to ride in mainly 5 and 4M conditions this year, I don't think that flex will be an issue. Weight, I'm sure, is to my benefit. Genetic scrawniness at 138lb.

The core crowd at Kalmus was there. They're all good eggs. The people and conditions make it my only choice for "away from home" sailing.

Thanks for reading, RC

Last edited by ron.c on Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
OliverTwist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron,

I was at Kalmus yesterday too. What a great day. I've never seen the parking lot that full, but I don't go there in season. The ABK Clinic was there as well. I didn't stay overnight so I missed it today. The observations were in the 30's.

Oliver
ron.c

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scooper,

It was also my first day back at Kalmus since the Spring. If history repeats itself, there should be some good days right up to near Christmas.

Nothing against West Dennis, it's just that over the years, I've run into the same people and have it wired for my skill set.

At the risk of boring some, I'll continue to advertise the potential big NW days that come to the outer Cape. I recently got one convert. Lookin' for more!

My wife wants to go surfing tomorrow

RC
scooper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ron,

Do you mean Chapin/ Mayflower in a NW? I sail at West Dennis Beach occasionaly in a SW but it isn't really my favorite spot. I was at Kalmus today. I still want to try Skaket one of these days. It's a longer drive for me but sounds like it has a lot of variety depending on the tide.

The lot at Kalmus was almost completely full today, I guess it was yesterday too. I had to park down by the snack bar. The rumor I heard is that there was an event going on in town and the Kalmus lot was being used for overflow parking.
ron.c

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see that fatigue had the better of me yesterday. I got the wrong name on the reply, sorry to OT. But hey, it seems that you both got a day in.

Regarding time and distance for driving to NW conditions, my take, may or may not, be valid. When going to Chapin, the time off the highway versus the time off to Skaket may make it closer than you think. Also the parking lot at Skaket is pretty handy too. I've checked out Corporation Beach a ton of times, due to my 2 kids doing gynastics near by. I only made it there once. But the wind dried up during my rigging.

I use a similar half-a$$ed reasoning to justify going to Kalmus versus some of the other sound side beaches.

Another theory is that the weeds at Kalmus may not be as bad???

RC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: