myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Baja- San Quintin, San Carlos, La Ventana
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coolmtnbiker048

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: Baja- San Quintin, San Carlos, La Ventana Reply with quote

So, now that the wind is dying down, and I have a 3 week winter break, how is the sailing in Baja. What exactly is the season for the above spots? What are the conditions like in San Quintin and La Ventana?
D-wo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a little early for La Ventana. They just had a hurricane there. I know some people kite at San Quentin but I don't think there is enough wind to sail, and, even if there was, it would be completely flat water. San Carlos has light wind and a lot of flies in the fall...and don't get me started on the banditos, the crooked police and the bad water. No, you don't want to go there. Try go going to Leo Carillo. Bring your slalom gear, a big sail and be sure to wave hop a few of the locals...they'll love you to death.
loopless

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually there are almost no flies at Carlos at the moment, and it can be cranking down there in the fall ( just watch for Santa Anas). It was epic surf there over the Labor Day weekend, but light winds and infested with kiters and paddle boarders. Still I sailed every day.

Problems in Mexico are way overrated. In 10 years of trips to San Carlos the worst that has happened to me is a couple of $20 bribes. Keep a low profile and don't travel at weird times.
Epenrose

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PSC can be great now.

What a gringo talking about banditos.

Foreign country, show respect, try the language and don't drive a SUV with gold insignias and you'll be fine.

Some of the most lovely people you'll meet.

Banditos, eerr $11 for a glass of wine in SF, that's a bandit.
pacspeed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that post is known as a "red herring". DWO wants it all to hisself. Understandable, since PSC is soooooo friggin awesome.

So, a couple of points of clarification: Bad water, no doubt, you don't drink from the tap in Mexico. Even the Mexicans dont drink from the tap in Mexico, its the reason there are "agua purificada" dispensers at every grocery store. But hell, most Americans dont drink from the tap anymore either, and having tasted the algae/chlorine swill coming from the pipe in SoCal, I wouldnt either.

Crooked cops: look at this as an opportunity. Get busted for speeding? You just got out of it for 20 bucks, instead of 120 bucks, a mandatory court date, and 8 hours in traffic school back in Cali. Granted, getting busted with weed in Mexico is going to be a huge pain, and will empty your bank account, but not everywhere is like CA. Get busted in Oklahoma, and its 5 YEARS in prison. MANDATORY. OUCH!!!!

Banditos? Never heard of em. I have, however, been robbed, beaten, drugged, vandalized, burgled, and threatened at gunpoint in the good ol' US of A, by good ol' Americans. Granted, the threatened at gunpoint actually was by some dudes of Mexican descent, but that was on I-10 in East LA.

Absolutely nothing to worry about in Baja.
coolmtnbiker048

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja- San Quintin, San Carlos, La Ventana Reply with quote

coolmtnbiker048 wrote:
So, now that the wind is dying down, and I have a 3 week winter break, how is the sailing in Baja. What exactly is the season for the above spots? What are the conditions like in San Quintin and La Ventana?

I take back what I said about the wind dying down......today was the windiest day of the whole summer (for me). Sunset Beach was amazing--good wind AND waves.

Is the wind light at San Quintin??? I hear it blows 18 everyday (this is coming from baja fishermen though).

Is the season at San Carlos and San Quintin different than La Ventana?

Thanks for the Information.
Alex
D-wo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got me Pacspeed. I've never seen any banditos aside from Frito Bandito. I've also had to pay the"surf tax" a few times to the Rosarito and Tijuana police. They are always very cordial when accepting bribes- I've even been told it is legal (as long as I wrapped up the money in a piece of paper when handing it over).

I also really love the flies - moscas south of the border - they add a bit of protein to my, otherwise pedestrian, pasta sauce.

ReallycoolMountainbiker - I have a book on mountain biking coming out next month. You should check it out, it's called Mountain Bike! Orange County. The publisher picked the title, not me. My title, "A tick on my penis and other adventures in Orange County," was rejected by the publisher.

coolmtnbiker048

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-wo wrote:
\

ReallycoolMountainbiker - I have a book on mountain biking coming out next month. You should check it out, it's called Mountain Bike! Orange County. The publisher picked the title, not me. My title, "A tick on my penis and other adventures in Orange County," was rejected by the publisher.

HAHA cool can you get it online?
coolmtnbiker048

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-wo wrote:
\

HAHA cool can you get it online?
D-wo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it will be available in all the usual outlets, Amazon et al.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: