myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
best way to store 6 boards in garage?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterbelden

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: best way to store 6 boards in garage? Reply with quote

I'm looking for a way to store about 6 boards vertically (on their noses or tails) in my garage. Can anyone recommend either a premade rack system or even better a simple design for one that I could build myself? I'm not that handy so I'm hoping to use a design someone has already tested and doesn't for example require a drill press to make holes in wood in which to insert dowls. I don't have a drill press. I have only basic tools so the easier to build the better. The racks I've seen for purchase are about $80 plus shipping so homemade seems cheaper.

Thanks!
Peter
coachg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Home Depot and get 2" wide, 3' long gas pipe with the orange cap. They also sell the wall mounts for the pipe. Screw the mounts into the 2x4 stud in your garage wall, then screw the pipe into the mount. Slip pipe insullation over the pipe and cap the end with the supplied orange cap. I store mine horizontally so I can place sails on the boards and hang the booms outside the boards.

Coachg
rperkins

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bungee cords from the rafters works for me.
USAM1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: 6 boards in garage Reply with quote

sounds like you are trying to store them like some shops display them. how about putting a couple of pieces of carpet on the floor and leaning them in the corner? about the cheapest way to go. I have a rack in my garage i built. I used two vertical 4 x 4s floor to ceiling, each bolted into a wall stud. Make sure the 4 x 4 sits on the floor so the majority of the load is on the floor, not the wall bolts. i skipped two studs so i have 48" spacing between uprights. i have drilled a series of through holes 1" dia. at 6" interval spacing , floor to ceiling. Insert pieces of 1" wood dowels at desired locations. I cut my dowels to 24" long, these work fine. I had to sand ends of dowels a bit to get a easy fit. I actually only use every other hole, 12" spacing. This gives bays for 6 boards within easy reach plus room for all other gear. Can put pieces of foam pipe insulation over dowels if desired. built the rack 12+ years ago, no idea as to current costs.
Windlover

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Garage rack Reply with quote

I used some extra 2 X 4's to build a rack from my ceiling. Mounted a 6" piece to the ceiling joists (3" deck screws), then used 12" verticals down to about a 9' 2X4 mounted horizontally, narrow side up (2.5" deck screws). Used a staple gun to tack pipe insulation on the horizontals. Built two of these, one over each of my two garage doors. I've got 6 boards, 3 masts, 5 booms, and all my sails above 6.0 on the racks. I can access all the gear with the doors open and a 3 step step ladder. All my smaller sails are on a small shelf on the wall.
Total cost if I had bought all the materials new would have been under $30.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether you use dowels or pipes or whatever, forget the studs except as a place to mount one horizontal 2X4 flat against them maybe 6-7 feet off the floor. NOW (actually, before you mount the 2X4 to the wall) you have a big flat surface to accommodate any board spacing you choose. Then you can use dowels or plastic or metal pipe or surface-mount railing feet or whatever suits you for pipe-insulation-covered board separators.

Or mount boards flat (belly) against the wall with a bungee cord holding each board in place, if you can spare the wall space.

\m/ [/i]
wyndryder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have something specifically made for this. All you need are 2 strong hooks from OSH or Home Depot and my, now obsolete, "soft ladder" which will hold 5-6 boards. I'll be at the Helm swap meet Sept 15 and I'm asking $25 for it.
RickCronk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Garage Racks Reply with quote

I just built a rack on wheels to store my gear. I got tired of carrying it from the car rack to the wall racks in the back of the garage. So, I built a horizontal rack system on large rubber casters with storage on one side for 3 boards resting on their edges, and masts, other side has sails laid out and booms hanging above. A shelf across the top holds gear bag, kayak paddles and other random stuff. Wet suits hang on the end to dry. Now, I roll it out to the car, load directly to car and reverse when necessary. Takes a few minutes out of the process and I can easily roll it out of my way when working in garage or cover with a tarp and roll it under the deck for winter. The wall is now clear for other junk to accumulate. RCronk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: