myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
GW at GG
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
derekd

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: GW at GG Reply with quote

from coastside fishing club 9/1/07 7PM:
About an hour ago, Sean of El Dorado III was wire lining for halibut just west of the GG bridge in his little 17' boat. He hooked up to something really big and began to fight it. After 4 major runs, he began to see his hoochies come out of the water. And then....... The dorsal fin of a GW shark popped out of the water with one of the hooks firmly embedded in it. The shark was right next his boat. It was 15-17' in length and didn't seem to be all that upset that it had been steered towards the surface. Sean called out to his buddie Joe who was on a boat next to him. Just as Joe arrived, the shark went down for the 5th time and broke off the hook. As of about a half hour ago, Sean was still stuttering. If you know Sean, bring it up the next time you see him. He told me it was okay to post. He usually likes to keep stuff to himself. This occurred about 500 yards from where the sail surfers run.
gerritt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy hooked George Bush at the Golden Gate and let him get away. The sail surfers will be pissed!
nealpar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sail surfers???

Haven't heard that expression from anyone inside the sport. Hmmm. We're onto you.....you with the GW story.....
tsokat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nealpar wrote:
Sail surfers???

Haven't heard that expression from anyone inside the sport. Hmmm. We're onto you.....you with the GW story.....

Yeah, this post is a little (ahem) fishy. However, as discussed in the above linked news story, it is possible for GW's to visit the Bay. In fact if my somewhat compromised memory serves me correctly, one of the only or perhaps only fatal shark attack in SF was off Baker Beach, which is right around the corner from the gate. I would also venture to say that GW's have visited SF more that GWB. Smile
derekd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: like I said Reply with quote

Like I said, it's from Coastside Fishing Club, can't you f'ing read?
some of the replies:
"I surf and kayak fish. call me crazy if you like, but I've had more fun that most people alive on account of it.

One thing tho. These fish have been protected since 1994.

I think it's clear we have more than we need now.

sometimes it feels like going down to the local park and playing with grizzly bears. I was sticking rockfish off scott's creek from a kayak when that kayak got whacked at bean hollow.

In 1997 and 2000 a killer whale killed a shark and they all left for the rest of the seal season.

Clearly they respect predator hierarchy.

I think we should have maybe half a dozen shark kill permits annually, excluding the farallons and outer aNo-Nuevo island from the fishing.

Auction them to the highest bidder. money can go to DFG.

Put the fear of man back into these things, along with their fear of killer whales.

The black and white approach, all or nothing approach seems like we end up with sealions and great whites with behavioral issues. But if we don't want to extinct the GWS, then fine, leave them the farallons and outer aNo Nuevo.

if they need to shoot the equal number of sealions to equal the shark take, that would be reasonable too.

either that or train shamu to patrol the populated coasts,

Best,
J
derekd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Same GW Reply with quote

Here's another reply:
"interesting...we saw a 12-14 footer jump 3/4 of the way out of the water last week. we were fishing diablo cove and were wathcing a tug-in-tow head out the channel. He just happened to jump in our line of sight. we were perplexed what would have motivated him to clear the water that far out in the deep.

AndyG "
Epenrose

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The danger is that GW's favorite food is kook.

For some reason they are being lured near Crissy. They seem to avoid fort point, surfers, bad attitude - bad taste.

The highest delicacy is the board short wetsuit wearing aggressive dangler, what a tasty morsel, I can almost guarantee they all have pedicures, yum....
nealpar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tsokat, did you mean GW visit the Bay more than they would visit a GWB, or that GW visit the Bay more than a GWB would visit the Bay? I'm just so confused.

Also, I would venture to say that if you stuffed some limp cold stinky sea mollusk down your undies, that your bored "significant other" (sex=optional) wouldn't even notice any difference...in the dark...under the covers....the way you tend to do it.....

I'm just sayin'. Wink
VinceSF

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: when it comes to the "landlord"... Reply with quote

The pecking order of GW sharks food is as such:

- Seals, especially the cute ones, they're tastier
- surfers (not unlike seals)
- Kitesurfers (definitely unlike seals)
- silly fishermen who go overboard while trying to catch a "big one"
- "jumpers"
- Garbage drifting from Oakland
- and finally, yours truly, your local surf sailor

Smile
windwanker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: like I said Reply with quote

derekd wrote:
Like I said, it's from Coastside Fishing Club, can't you f'ing read?
some of the replies:
"I surf and kayak fish. call me crazy if you like, but I've had more fun that most people alive on account of it.

One thing tho. These fish have been protected since 1994.

I think it's clear we have more than we need now.

sometimes it feels like going down to the local park and playing with grizzly bears. I was sticking rockfish off scott's creek from a kayak when that kayak got whacked at bean hollow.

In 1997 and 2000 a killer whale killed a shark and they all left for the rest of the seal season.

Clearly they respect predator hierarchy.

I think we should have maybe half a dozen shark kill permits annually, excluding the farallons and outer aNo-Nuevo island from the fishing.

Auction them to the highest bidder. money can go to DFG.

Put the fear of man back into these things, along with their fear of killer whales.

The black and white approach, all or nothing approach seems like we end up with sealions and great whites with behavioral issues. But if we don't want to extinct the GWS, then fine, leave them the farallons and outer aNo Nuevo.

if they need to shoot the equal number of sealions to equal the shark take, that would be reasonable too.

either that or train shamu to patrol the populated coasts,

Best,
J

There has been an explosion of pinnipeds over the past few decades, and without "Whitey" things would be out of control. Natural selection, ever hear about it?

Recent news is the Feds are now considering ceasing seal rescue programs and issuing license to tak seals:

http://www.mercurynews.com/centralcoast/ci_6686163

[img]http://xs318.xs.to/xs318/07331/CALlogo3.jpg
[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: