myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Spot Tips California

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beachboy_ffm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:47 am    Post subject: Spot Tips California Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I am going to have 3 weeks of vacation in CAL, but here in Germany I don't get any good information about nice windsurfspots in the area that you can see here:

http://maps.google.de/maps?f=d&hl=de&geocode=&saddr=los+angeles,+usa&daddr=Santa+Barbara,+Santa+Barbara,+Kalifornien,+Vereinigte+Staaten+to:cambria,+usa+to:monterey,+usa+to:fresno,+usa+to:Pinehurst,+Uninc+Fresno+County,+Fresno,+Kalifornien,+Vereinigte+Staaten+to:Ponderosa,+Kalifornien,+Vereinigte+Staaten+to:bakersfield,+usa+to:joshua+tree,+usa+to:palm+springs,+usa+to:Anza-Borrego+Desert+State+Park,+Vereinigte+Staaten+to:san+diego,+usa+to:oceanside,+usa+to:lax&mrcr=1,2&mra=ps&sll=34.908995,-118.87914&sspn=8.410554,14.941406&ie=UTF8&om=1&z=6

Our trip covers the LA area, up to north to Monterey and later from San Diego back to LA.
Are there any good websites to check? How about renting equipment?
Any info would be great.
Mahalo from Germany,

Dirk
Epenrose

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk:

What level of sailor are you? Do you surf as well?

If you camp as well that helps.

regards
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a car, a computer and of course gear. Your all set!

Windsurfing in the Bay Area goes off. Its the best way to meet people and score epic conditions. Even this late in the season its still fairly windy. Better hurry!

Welcome
kurtmagness

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm well by your google map the bay area is bypassed. Nobody really rents windsurfer stuff in California that I know of anymore. San Deigo generally is not very windy. When you get up to LA you could go to Seal Beach, Cabrillo Beach, but things are kinda "urban" until you get to Leo Carillo up around Malibu. But having no equiptment will just torture you. Up towards Santa Barbara winds are light again but Ventura C st, Jalama Beach Park is nice but out of the way or up further at Pismo Beach or San Simeon (Hearst Castle). Big Sur is to knarly, don't know to much about Montery. Then you head inland. You will see more kiters than windsurfers. I'd switch to kiting then you could carry all your gear in a golf type bag or google some kite board shops in SD, LA, SB, cen cal, etc. and take a lesson or 2. At least you get in the water.
beachboy_ffm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I windsurfed last year on Hawaii and I think I can sail nearly every condition, except that I am not very used to conditions with waves higher than 3m (9ft?)

how about getting some surf lessons at the coast, I wanted to try it last year on Maui but the wind was too good Wink that I stayed on my windsurfboard.
grich15

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: So Cal windsurfing Reply with quote

You maybe able to get used gear or rentals from www Southwest boardsports in San Diego In Southern Calif Captain Kirks wwwcaptainkirks.com and sail Cabrillo beach in San Pedro (watch you stuff this is LA).....surf and stay in Ventura near C st (stay at the Clock tower hotel) There is a swap and barbe Q at Lopez lake near pismo beach Sept 8 check with www.crowesails .com Then check the bay area and loop back down. I think it would be better to just buy used gear good luck
dogalone

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you coming to lake isabella/kern river valley? the trail of 100 giants is a pretty nifty piece of work that attracts visitors from all over the world
geohaye

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should list all of the shops that anyone knows of that rents windsurf gear. Captain Kirk's probably does -- that will cover the best windsurf spots in So Cal. And, Boardsports School definitely does -- Naish, Hot Sails, HiFly, etc. -- that covers you for the SF Bay Area if you have roof racks.

Of course you don't even need to drive with the gear: Boardsports School has on-the-water windsurf rentals right at Coyote Point and Alameda, which is pretty unique in California: Boardsports School 415.385.1224.

Any other shops with windsurf rentals you all can think of, list away.
3-phase

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Renting stuff for sailing in California Reply with quote

Hallo Dirk,

schau mal bei uns rein wir haben alles was Du brauchts zum mieten. Wenn Du campen gehst auch ein 3er Zelt.

Viel spass und bis bald

get in contact with www.windsurfdeal.com they rent gear from 70 to 120 liter boards and sail from 3.3 to 9.0, Ryan or Erika can help you there.
Or you can call me 408-394-9695
Jurg

KA sail Dude

3-phase@cox.net

www.kasail.com
www.windsurfdeal.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: