myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The Cape this weekend
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davideg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: The Cape this weekend Reply with quote

Hi all!!!

I just got back to college after a long summer...
This weekendI'm looking to continue the great sailing I had this
summer, so..how does the Cape look this weekend? Whats gonna be the
top spot to be at? I'll be there from friday. I have to show you guys
some brand new italian sails, POINT-7 rules!

Cheers!!!

Davide
www.point-7.com
davideg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...uhm by cape i mean cape cod!
scooper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know, I was hoping for a nice strong morning NE on Saturday, but now IWindsurf is downplaying it a little. The computer model still looks good though, who knows. There are so many great places in a NE- Mayflower, Chatham, Duxbury-oceanside, Plymouth. Chapin low tide around 9:00 so that's out. Also, I have Nantasket on my list of places to try in a NE. Parking will be a problem on the Cape unless it's early enough in the day, which was my plan. Where are you likely to sail?
davideg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anywhere thats looking good!!! Freestyle if its flat, wavesailing if its good enough! I'm staying in Rhode Island but I'm driving up to Cape Cod and will be there the whole weekend depending on the wind...
jpw1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Cape Kiting Reply with quote

Looks like some breeze this evening and Saturday. Would like to kite on the Ocean side and find some breaks. Where will the kiters be hanging out?

Thanks.
dcharlton

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're in RI, you should give PT Judith a shot for NE winds. Probably can't launch from Scarborough yet but down the road by Bon Vue/Lighthouse area there's a launch. It's one of my favorite NE places as the winds are pretty good from that direction and the swell/wave action is pretty friendly and a fun ride.

I wouldn't mind hitting Chapin in a NE, but if I can get away with a 7.0/104 litre combo with a 25 minute drive, I'll take it over a 5.5 day with a 2 hr drive.

Anyone know if Neds point is doable in a NE?

DC
flaregybe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Good in a NE Reply with quote

Hi,

Two possibilites in a N/NE are Pleasant Bay in Harwich and the virtually unknown Rock Harbor in Orleans. Dennis Corporation beach is OK, but If I remember correctly you have to drag your equipment a long way away from the swimers to launch. Skaket beach might also be a possibility. As is Chatham, with a similar long drag and far less parking.

High tide on the bay side is early afternoon, so you should be able to get a good 5-6 hours either side of the high tide. (Carry a screwdriver so you can remove your fin when you need to drag the board back across a mile of 6" deep water over the sand flats.)

Pleasant bay is the large enclosed bay back of the Nauset national seashore. Remains sailable at low tides. There's a small public beach with no facilities, so mostly kayakers and the occasional boardsailor. In a good NE you can get some good flatwater runs. It's right off Rte. 28, East Harwich, a sharp turn down a steep unpaved road. The road is not shown on any maps, but it's between Bay and Foxhill Rds, on the right as you drive south from Rte 6.

Rock Harbor is in the crook of the elbow of the cape on the bay side. has Portapotties, I htink there might be a shop, but nothing else. It;s off the big rotary in Orleans, where 6 and 28 converge.

Both places have limited but free parking. Get there early.
ron.c

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take on the outer Cape is that CC bay will not be the spot for an AM session. High tide is 2:40pm, i.e. no water at all in the morning.

Rock Harbor does have limited free parking and is the same stretch as Skaket. It sucks for non sailing significant others. In 25+ years of sailing, I've only tried it once there. Skaket costs $15 for the last couple of summer days.

If it's up as forecasted, with a little "NE" component, the Chatham / Harwich side of Pleasant Bay is my goal for first thing tomorrow.

RC
davideg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be driving there tonight to catch the first gusts...any good spots for the night in the cape area? i might then hit pleasant bay
scooper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to check the wind and forecast again in the morning before I leave but I'll probably go to Mayflower if the forecast holds. It's good in NW, N, NE. The non-sailing crowds there will be a pain but I like the waves. The parking will probably fill up by 10:00, so I'll leave early. If the wind lasts through the morning and I have the right gear I may upwind it to Chapin when the tide comes in a little.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: