myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sailing venues between Gorge and Cleveland?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Sailing venues between Gorge and Cleveland? Reply with quote

I'll be driving from the Gorge through Des Moines to Cleveland and back in a month or two with no timetable, no fixed route, and a pile of WSing gear (I seldom fly any more since getting into WSing).
What worthwhile sailing venues should I watch for when the trees start swaying or are forecast to do so?
When do the fall winds (and snow) start?

\m/
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Sailing venues between Gorge and Cleveland? Reply with quote

Oval Beach, in Saugatuck Michigan is supposed to be a nice spot. I don't know anything about the wind profile.

This guy has a blog that focuses on midwestern windsurfing...it might be worthwhile to send him a note

http://www.scotello.com/

isobars wrote:
I'll be driving from the Gorge through Des Moines to Cleveland and back in a month or two with no timetable, no fixed route, and a pile of WSing gear (I seldom fly any more since getting into WSing).
What worthwhile sailing venues should I watch for when the trees start swaying or are forecast to do so?
When do the fall winds (and snow) start?

\m/

lakesailir17

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not sure about in between but if cleveland has a solid northeast, edgewater park is a great spot - just west of the city. the side on conditions rival much of the gorge, except for the spots out east. the only drawback is that there are only about a half dozen quality northeasts each year.
wdsurf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike made that drive from erie,pa. 100 mi. east of cleveland 17 years straight back and forth to the gorge met you many years ago sailing at rosevelt,have sailed taking interstate 80 lake seminoe in whyoming about 30 miles off the road off the sinclair exit,lake mcnoughy,ogalla,neb.,lake mich. michigan city,ind.interstate 90 lake desmett,whyoming all sailed 4.7 or smaller on 75 ltr. board for a 200lber.when you get to clevland call me Very Happy i roam lake erie on the eastern end from coneaut to buffalo,n.y.that time of year is prime for n.e. wind like the guy said near cleveland whole crew of surfers there.
RickCronk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on your route, you will find resevoirs along the interstates. Look for the Buffalo Bill Res west of Cody Wy. for some high altitude sailing(bring a full wetsuit), any number of resevoirs in Colorado off I80, Lake McConaughy off of I80 @ Ogallala, Nebraska, Lake Mendota @ Madison Wi. off of I90. Then just haul it to the Great Lakes. That should keep wind in your sail all the way across. Good luck. RC
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my way to Yellowstone many moons ago, I dropped into the WSing shop in Cody (run by Steve & Pam if I recall correctly), bought a new Angulo, hurried down to Buffalo Bill, rigged my 3.8 as fast as I could (the sun was getting very low), got in a perfectly powered session, packed it all up, and continued on my way to the park.

Amazin' what schlepping one's gear to Hellenback can achieve, as wdsurf and RC have obviously learned. Slamming on the brakes and rigging has often provided me with some of -- even all of -- my sailing on some trips even to WSing destinations.

\m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: