myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Alternate Treasure Island Launch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinkan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Alternate Treasure Island Launch Reply with quote

FYI, there is a small group of sailors who have been sailing Treasure Island from an alternate launch at the end of 13th St.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1543+48th+ave,+94122&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=37.829718,-122.368641&spn=0.010525,0.023518&t=h&z=16&om=1

The good news is that this site has limited but adequate parking, a grass rigging area, and lets us sail TI despite the cleanup.

The bad news is that it is in a huge wind shadow, and getting in and out of the water is definitely harder than the old launch off the boat ramp.

The wind here blows pretty much straight offshore, so there is absolutely no wind for a 20 foot zone in the lee of the island. There is no ramp, but there is a small flat concrete platform housing for a drain pipe that you can launch from. Most people stand on the platform (it's a few feet above the water level) and throw their gear in, and then work themselves into the water. Just a word of caution, one sailor threw his rig and inadvertantly caught his uphaul around his harness hook and got pulled into the water and onto the rocks. He luckily escaped serious injury, but the potential is there. Also, I would advise against jumping from the platform into the water, especially at lower water levels, as there are some rocks below the pipe... found out the hard way, although I was lucky there was a lot of water that day. Most sailors who launch here will swim their gear downwind away from the island and toward the wind and try to uphaul or waterstart to get to the windline. This works pretty well if you have a floaty board, but probably will be a waste of energy if you're riding a small sinker. The last time I launched, I just sat on my board and let the ebb carry me to the windline. The current runs parallel to the shore at the launch... which is great for getting to the wind on an ebb. This also means that this launch is probably off limits if you're launching on a flood, as the current will suck you away from the wind. Once you sail or float your way around the corner, you'll be able to see the old launch and cove, and the wind will start filling in, and you'll be good to go.

Coming in is a bit tricky, especially on an ebb. You have to slog toward the landing in very light wind, and the current will be taking you back out. Get as much speed as possible in the cove and really try to carry as much momentum into the dead wind zone and see if you can make it close to the landing zone. My tip is not to get too far upwind (and out of the wind). I try to keep 30-40 feet downwind of the island. This lets me stay in the wind and slog until i'm perpendicular to the landing, then I can slog and head up until I'm dead in the water, and then I can swim my gear back to the pipe. Once you do fall in the water, try to swim to the rocks ASAP, or the current will erase all the progress you made earlier slogging. You can then walk your in the water along the rocks and back to the pipe.

Hope to see some more sailors here. It's still a great place to sail, but TI is like a ghost town these days, and sometimes I worry about my van getting broken into. The more sailors we have here, the more comfortable I'll be. It's not for everyone, but it's certainly doable... and much easier than I imagined the first time I saw it.

kev
tkalkows

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kev,

Thanks for sharing this. I think that more people will show up there (including myself) if the other places stop working.
Looking at this google map I am thinking if enyone tried lunching from the NW or even SW side of the island (look for example at the end of Mason Ct). It looks like a lot rocks everywhere but I was using the rocks at the normal launch site as well. Is it parking, rigging issue ?

Tom
buestad

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,
You are my main man!!! every thing you discribed is right on. I sailed 13th street last week, my main concern was being the only one on the water. I don't and won't sail there by myself. Hoping to see others sailing off 13th strret soon, September is the month to sail at T.I.
Good Winds,
john
kevinkan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey John,

Glad the info was of some use to somebody... TI is such a great place to sail, and although our access has been affected by the cleanup, we are by no means banished from the place. Look forward to sailing there later in the week when the tides are right... just got back from the gorge, and i need some strong wind and good swell.

kev
bdolin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin,
thanks for all the info. was thinking of heading to t.i. soon, as there's an evening ebb (and looks like it's been windy there lately). just wanted to make sure this alternate launch hasn't been fenced off or anything... any recent sessions there?
thanks so much!
jse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of a few weeks ago, the launch is still open. I doubt they could even fence off the launch. It's a dead end public street that runs to the edge of the island. Only a posted guard could prevent anyone from launching.

Also, keep in mind this weekend is the Treasure Island Music Festival:

http://www.treasureislandfestival.com/home.php

Could be fun, could be not fun.

Steve
bob1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
there is a small flat concrete platform housing for a drain pipe that you can launch from. Most people stand on the platform (it's a few feet above the water level) and throw their gear in,

Is this the same pipe/platform that is just south of the chain link fence that was at the southern end of the old launch's parking lot? Behind (to east) of the building there?

If so, that isn't too far of a schlog. In past, on days the wind's died, I've had to get out down there. Gotta check it out . . . Is there a spot you sight the TI to AI reach to visually check wind/swell?

Quote:
I sailed 13th street last week, my main concern was being the only one on the water. I don't and won't sail there by myself.

With or without fellow sailors, if you haven't done so already, you should invest in a small, quality water-proof radio w/ direct CG channel -- Aquapak makes a durable, 3-strap sport harness that fits out of way in small of your upper back . . . I wouldn't even think about sailing TI or esp 3rd w/o one . . . great peace of mind and makes things safer for those "other sailors/would-be-rescuers" too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: