myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What's with the price of sails these days??!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jam-1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simmers have treated me well for the last 8 years. They have a full line of sails (made from monofilm or x-ply) that can accommodate just about anyone. They are very durable sails with excellent stitching and shaping. Adding to the appeal, you can purchase them directly from Kai, the distributor for them--you can usually get new, same model year sails for a pretty good deal.
www.flykatcher.com
sdepree

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently hit it a plastic bag at the stick while doing 30knts. Talk about about hitting the brakes! I blew out two panels in my Ezzy x-ply way on the other side. Somehow the sail still held togther and I could sail it in. I priced a similar Ezzy and they are running around $650....ouch!!! I found a new Hot Sail Muai Speed XP in all X-ply for almost half the price. I like Ezzy; great customer service but the pricing is way out of control. I'm happy my research paid off.
atomich

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

How do you like the Hot Sails Speed XP? What size is it? Are you able to tune it for marginal conditions, and have it perform well, or is it more of a crank on the downhaul, and sail very powered up type of sail? In other words, how does it work for you in the light part of its range?

I ask because I am looking at the 7.5 as my biggest sail and a replacement for my NP 6.9.
sdepree

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey atomich--
So far, I'm really impressed with the Speed XP. I replaced my blown out Ezzy Infinity 5.4 with the Speed 5.5. It's a sweet looking sail and the construction is at a whole 'nother level than the Ezzy. It's all x-ply which really cuts down on UV damage not to mention strength. The outside of the mast sleeve has a strip of "strap like" material right where the the seam likes to give out. The sail tip and batton pocket ends have leather patches; another spot where my ezzy was wearing out. The sail is lighter feeling than the Ezzy with a little less low end. That's to be expected since the Ezzy had two cams. The XP will bag out nicely for some good grunt. Jibing the XP is much smoother and the speed is scary fast when I put the peddle down. I used to go cams on everything and I'm getting sick of them. Hot delivered the sail from Maui in two days which was kick ass. I even got to talk to the designer when I asked some questions whic is always nice since you know he knows what he's talking about. I got an '06 right from the Hot website for $300 less than an Ezzy. I think the '07's are in the low $500 range. If you are looking for a go fast, bombproof, RAF at a great price I'd pull the trigger on one too before they sell out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: