myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Incidents of a windsurfer being reckless or dangerous to oth
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mik377

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I witnessed the same. I bet most of the parents are tourists on vacation and non WSers. Look, these people dont know any better. The tourist crowd used to swim off the marina park but its high and dry now, so they are using the event site which is an extremely dangerous place to swim in high winds. You would think the park would either ban swimming or cordon off an area with floats. The scariest is when they swim underwater.
As a side note. Anyone else think that they could clean up the launch area a bit. I mean remove the jagged rocks and put in some round river gravel that wont slice up your feet. Just seems like common sense. Am I asking too much?
jesusjones

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mentioned in post above "having to out point the other guy no matter what" well again yesterday was a great example. We all were sailing, at times, in a heavy SW cant. As most locals know, the farther downwind from the point you go, the lighter the wind. I was trying to sail farther up wind and with that SW cant my progress was bet made up on my port reach. So, this guy and I basically are sailing directly for each other. Every move I made he mirrored. So I pointed hard upwind and he did the same. We both came to a screeching halt feet from each other. He just looked at me and said starboard man. Here's a guy who new better, but had an excuse.
ascott72

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Event Site is always an accident wating to happen on windy days. I think it might be a little better now because of the sand bar you don't have everybody coming in to the beach to hero gybe. (I admit I am guilty of that in the past too.)

Rowena 1 - I am on port, another person is on starboard, both pinching up. my fin cavitates so I am sliding sideways. He keeps pointing straight at me, finally bears off, shaking his fist and yelling at me that he had right of way. Frankly, I think people make too big of a deal about right of way. It is just common sense to avoid other sailors, you either bear off or head up well in advance. Only racers and jerks "force" their right of way on others.

Rowena 2 - Two months ago. I am on a beam reach in very windy conditions. A sailor going the same direction bears down from above and behind me, passing several feet in front of my board. I didn't even see him until he passed me. He proceeds to catapult/blow up another 10 feet past me. If his body/mastboard had catapulted into me, there could have been some serious damage. As a general rule, we all need to stay at least one mast length away from each other. Always!

Stevenson - coming across on a beam reach, I decided to surf some swell, carve downwind and then back to beam. Almost hit another sailor who was behind and a short distance downwind of me. Not sure who was at fault here. Me for next checking. (I try now) Or him for following too closely - this was a very open body of water with lots of room. Riding swells while the slalom sailors are blasting by requires extra attention.

Haven't had any incidents with kiters, although I did witness one take a jump and hit a windsurfer's mast coming down at the Hatch a couple of years ago.
GarryW

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, I think people make too big of a deal about right of way. It is just common sense to avoid other sailors, you either bear off or head up well in advance. Only racers and jerks "force" their right of way on others.

Are you serious? Without rules such as starboard has right of way, you have chaos.
vikingsail

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to look this up in my Sailing Journal.
August 21st 2005, wind 30 to 40. My last day at the Gorge sailing half way between the Hook and the Hatch.

There was only myself and another person sailing that portion of the river, no one around for 1/2 mile. He was about 40 board lengths ahead and about 100 ft to windward, we are both on starboard and he just jibs onto port without looking and we end up head to head with about 15 board lengths between us. I dumped right in front of him as I was already pointing as high as possible to get up to the Hatch. He expected me to give way and point down so he could hold his course. If we had been closer he would have been eating fiberglass.
Terryg11

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GarryW wrote:
Are you serious? Without rules such as starboard has right of way, you have chaos.

yo, dude, you're messing wit my chill vibe.

Turn signals.

Stop signs.

Traffic lights.

Driving on the right side of the freeway barrier.

Who needs all that crazy stuff ?

F*ck all.

I just drive down I-84 on the left, and do crazy Ivans / doughnuts when I want too. Hell, some of my relatives are English; left side works OK for them- its'll good.

'Cause I feel the vibe of the wave, man.

I mean road.

Whatever.

Anyway, I just turn.

Those crazy drivers that 'insist on their starboard rights' --Jeez. What nerves. Messin' wit my buzz n all. I just turn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: