myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Larger wave boards 100 litre plus
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DonORiordan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good reason for US box is that if you hit something (quite a common occurrence when wavesailing), the fin breaks out of the box without destroyig the box. Sometimes, all that gets lost is the nut + screw holding in the fin, and the fin remains hanging in the fin box on the little pivot thingy....happened to me recently in Sprecks/Maui, when I hit the reef or a turtle or something at low tide....The fin remained loosely in the box and I wa s able to nurse myself back to shore on a semi-plane...

Replaced the fin screw, and I was back out there...

With a powerbox, hit the reef and the fin will get smashed up for sure, maybe the finbox also, leading to expensive repairs and time off the water.

As for wanting to sail on a bigger fin, my advise would be go learn how to sail on a small one. It takes some time and commitment, but it can be done. You may have to adjust your stance somewhat, don't push against the fin so much. A good practice is to try and sail fin-first i.e. you stand on the nose, or just remove your fin and go play around in the shorebreak. Try to sail out thru it without any fin at all, as an exercise. That'll teach you quick.

Best to sail on the smallest fin you can get away with, the board will be looser and more manoevreable that way also.

For staying upwind, you'll have to learn to sail with most of the windward rail in the water to provide you some lateral resistance. Again, it'll probably come automatically after a few days of practice.

D
lizardhill

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: NSM Reply with quote

If you are willing to look into the used market I don't think you can do better than the North Shore Maui wave boards of about four or five years ago. I have the 270 wave (105 ltr) and know several others who have the same board in other sizes. Everyone who owns one cherishes it and I always see them kept in great shape. Sandy Point Sports (Aerotech) had quite a few when I bought mine from them. I weigh 260 and sail this board with 5.2 to 7.2 at ,Chrissy, Rio, Leo Carillo and the Gorge and will keep it until it falls to shreds ( or I do ).US box BTW.
Tabou3S107

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Tabou3s107 Reply with quote

I,ve picked up a 3s 107 just for light wind wave riding,, The board works great in the surf but as a cross-over board it sucks for speed,,the fin it came with is trash,,I went with a thicker,fatter fin and when pushed hard it still breaks lose but on a wave the board smokes,,kicks ass,,no problems,,I,m 210lbs and need a LWWB for Jalama
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Tabou3s107 Reply with quote

Tabou3S107 wrote:
I,ve picked up a 3s 107 just for light wind wave riding,, The board works great in the surf but as a cross-over board it sucks for speed,,the fin it came with is trash,,I went with a thicker,fatter fin and when pushed hard it still breaks lose but on a wave the board smokes,,kicks ass,,no problems,,I,m 210lbs and need a LWWB for Jalama

What fin did you find that you liked ?
I actually like the Tabou on the 3S, but course there may be better.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Terryg11

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starboard Aero 117. Great board.
feuser

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewc wrote:

You can have the Wave Cult 90+L with US fin box and a max sail size of say 6.0m2, or you can go for Free Style Wave, 102L/109L with power box, 7.0+sails, and flatter rocker. If you look at the specs the Wave Cult is really short. Depends on what is important to you. The FSW RRD's can hold big sails , and plane off in light winds while being not bad to wave ride. The Wave Cults can' t hold the big sails, and do not plane off as well, but are rippable on waves. The Wave cult probably suits the heavy wave rider with good winds, more than FSW which works great in light winds.

I have the 2006 99l WaveCult and can sail it no problem with a 6.4m although it's happier under my 5.7. It's as full-on as a wave board of that size as I can imagine.

The Exo Wave 95 is definitively much more freeride-oriented and sails much bigger in comparison.
just my €0.02.

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: