myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where to sail on LBI in NJ this week?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cstaylor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Where to sail on LBI in NJ this week? Reply with quote

I'll be on Long Beach Island (north end, High Bar Harbor) this week (Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, Aug 14-16, 2007). I haven't been there before, and I'd love to go windsurfing. I moved to western NJ from San Francisco 4 years ago, and haven't sailed since! I know, it was a lousy move, windsurfing-wise. I sailed a lot (12 years) on SF Bay, and sometimes in the ocean there. I'm packing my stuff; where should I go?

Thanks!

Chuck
bred2shred

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck-

Don't put down NJ sailing until you've tried it! It can actually be quite good, and we have a variety of of conditions for all levels. Spring and fall are typically the windiest seasons, but the summer thermals are usually quite good, fairly dependable, and all you need to wear is board shorts and maybe a rash guard (and that's what they're predicting for Wed & Thurs of this week).

I'm fairly certain there are bayside launches on the north end of LBI, but I've never sailed them. The most popular spot on the island is 68th street in the town of Brant Beach. There is a small park there with plenty of parking, a wooden deck for rigging and an easy launch. Once you sail beyond the boat channel, there is plenty of room for sailing (it's probably around 3 miles across). The water depth ranges from knee deep to slightly overhead depending on tide (it's shallow near the big island) chop gets to a max of 3ft. Power boat traffic is minimal. One note, you NEED a weed fin.

On the ocean side, you can sail anywhere you want before and after the guards are on the beach. At the north end, the only place I've sailed was all the way at the top of the island. There were no guards, and the beach was basically vacant. The water condition was quite disturbed though due to the inlet being right there. At the south end (which is where I almost always sail) is a small park in the town of Holgate. There is a good little launch, with no guards, so you can sail there any time. To get there, drive South until you can drive no farther.

There are a lot of good places to sail in Jersey, so load up your gear and hit it!

If you need more info, you might check out Ebb Tide Windsurfing, they're located just outside of Philadelphia, PA.

Steve
cstaylor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Thanks, Steve! Reply with quote

Steve,

Thanks so much for your detailed reply. I really appreciate it.

My problem with sailing here is mostly that I live in Hunterdon, near Stockton, pretty far from the good sites. And I don't get away from home much. I didn't mean to disparage NJ windsurfing. I watched some sailors at Sandy Hook once, and it looked great!

Today I'll probably try Brant's Beach, and maybe the ocean at 27th street late in the day.

Thanks again,

Chuck
cstaylor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Actually, I may go down to Holgate. Reply with quote

Actually, I may go down to Holgate. Maybe I'll see you there...
rswabsin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you're back at home, keep an eye on the iwindsurf forecasts for Sandy Hook (it's probably only an hour drive for you). It gets considerably less crowded after Labor Day and there is good sailing from both the bayside and on the ocean (not much in the way of wavesailing but fun swells). There is almost always someone to sail with there pretty much year round. If you check a map, there is also real fun open water type sailing with big ocean sized swells on Raritan Bay/Sandy Hook Bay. Access is several miles west of Sandy Hook.

Rob
USAM1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: NJ sailing Reply with quote

chuck, come on down to the jersey shore and give it a try. we could always use some new blood. seems the windsurfing crowd dwindles a bit each year. i make the drive from hunterdon cty. when it blows, but i'm a bit closer than you (whitehouse station).. my favorite place is sandy hook, but it hasn't been hitting much this summer. usually drive south to brant beach, seaside, trixies, or island beach state park. usually the farther south you go, the better the wind with the summer southerlies. brant beach can be 25+ while seaside is just 20. a difference of maybe 1/2 hour driving. but in the spring and fall, when a fresh high builds in, the nw at the hook can be epic. sw doesn't work at the hook. and for those noreasters, the spy house, aka bayshore waterfront park, near belford in monmouth cty, can be a blast. and its the closest for me, 1hr 10 min.
if you want the ocean, there are many places you can squeeze in a session. island beach state park is an ocean launch, one area is permitted, check at the gatehouse when you go in. sandy hook is ok in the ocean from the south. hope your stay on lbi gives you some wind.
andy
andy.
cstaylor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Wednesday in Holgate Reply with quote

I ended up in Holgate Wednesday. It was very windy, with good sized waves as well. I was all by myself, which surprised me, and made me nervous. A 4.7 was plenty, and I wore myself out in just a few runs. Being alone, at an unfamiliar site, and four years from my last windsurf session, I was pretty intimidated. The conditions were awesome though, and I wished I could be there enough to get used to it. Not tame!

Thank you all for your help and encouragement. I really appreciate it! Maybe I'll meet you at some of the NJ sites.

Chuck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: