myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Cape forecast for August 10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KiteBob

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rationalnational wrote:

Well Friday filled in around 4-5pm with 20-25 kts from the NE. Very similar to what the forecast was.

Gee rationalnational, where did you get this information??? Were you on the Cape last friday?
Except for the remote Buzzard's Bay Buoy that shows a surprising surge in the middle of the afternoon, all stations near the shores reported very little wind, if any at all...
And since Wind.Man was actually there and confirms there was no wind, we can be a little sceptical about your statement.

Stay tuned folks, there might be more to come on this autopsy of a dead wind and investigation on a phoney forecast...
Wind.Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright, so, please enlighten us all and let us know exactly where the wind "filled in"....the we can check the graphs to see how full of crap you are. Not sure why you're being so insistant that it wasn't a bad forecast - you work for iwindsurf?

Can't stand when people don't just admit the obvious - bad forecast, plain and simple. Not sure why we're all fighting about it. I actually posted this to see if I got a response from an iwindsurf employee.

I didn't - or did I (national)?
rationalnational

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok little cry babies. We who live out onNantucket get wind too.

Check the Horseshoe shoal bouy (8/10/07) as it is the indicator for wind in "The Cord of the Bay" which is where many of us sail. This is in Nantucket Sound for any who aren't aware. Looking at the Horseshoe indicator it will verify it filling in nicely at around 1pm. we usually see it a little later as the indicator there is 60 odd feet above the water. The Nantucket land indicator is located at the airport and has never been an accurate meter for wind speeds on the sea.

All of us who sail here know that the Cape almost always gets a stronger Sw'er but Nantucket is only 0-5 kts kts less. Northerlies are always stronger as they have more fetch to get down on the surface.

never worked for iwindsurf but greatly appreciate their efforts. And one thing that has always happened every year is getting skunked when the forecast calls for wind.
My apologies for bursting anyones bubble who thinks this is "crap". Why would we bother in making up a story to inflame a cry baby ?

The truth causes offense again.....
cosmicharlie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horseshoe shoal always reads higher than the winds at the shore. In fact, it can be radically higher. No one windsurfs there. For once I have read a series of intelligent posts here by Wind.Man and windnwebsurfer, I do hope you post more and drown out the immature, uneducated and inexperienced. Knowledge of the weather takes a background in a number of academic disciplines like physics and chemistry. Knowledge like this often eludes forecasters.
pueno

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmicharlie wrote:
....and drown out the immature, uneducated and inexperienced....

I'll be glad to post my list again, Brucie. The name "cosmicharlie" is at the top.Wink
outcast

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At last, a solution!
Since knowledge of chemistry and physics eludes the forecasters, i propose that mr Swift opens his own web page, and does his own forecasts.....
Think of it....no need to glom up the forums for an entire sport, and turn off hundreds of new windsurfing prospects every year....the entire industry would appreciate it if you got your own web site....you could have links to all of your buddies, a weather page, a used gear page etc.
I'm being serious....please consider it, start up costs are minimal
Wind.Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey rationalnational - thanks for letting us all know to check the horseshoeshoal al buoy - I'm sure none of us ever do that. Very realistic to expect us all to go sailing out there. If that is your "rational" foa good forecast on the day in question, youre even more full of crap than I thought.

Bottom line - we all paid for a ridiculous forecast on the 10th - hope iwindsurf does better in the future.
mogunn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

outcast wrote:
At last, a solution!
Since knowledge of chemistry and physics eludes the forecasters, i propose that mr Swift opens his own web page, and does his own forecasts.....
Think of it....no need to glom up the forums for an entire sport, and turn off hundreds of new windsurfing prospects every year....the entire industry would appreciate it if you got your own web site....you could have links to all of your buddies, a weather page, a used gear page etc.
I'm being serious....please consider it, start up costs are minimal

Ah! But our dear friend already has his own site. http://capecodsports.blogspot.com/
He calls it Cape Cod Sporting Life...daily journal of sportsmen in Massachusetts.
Trouble is...it's very private. He doesn't want anyone to read it. Crying or Very sad

Rolling Eyes

outcast

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just don't have the courage to look inside......
rationalnational

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windman, etc.

I have nothing "against" you guys. All I was doing was laughing about all the whining and explaining that some of us got wind.

How many times the Sw'er doesn't fill in ehough for a good sesh here compared to Dennis, Kalmus, etc. would drive youc razy.

Concerning Horshoe. No matter what the idiot Bruce says... We live here and it accurately represents the wind speed for nantucket sound and the wind speeds we receive. There is currently funding being approved for a mid channel weather bouy for the Hyannis/Nantucket ferry route. That will be only 8 - 9 miles off the beach.

Hope that the forecasts don't fail in the future and we have a good remainder to the summer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: