myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
So-Cal windsurfing community mourns the loss of Ron Azoff
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
traig

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what a bummer... Ron and Barb were two of my favorite people to clown with at the stairs back in the day before and after a good wave sailing session. They were very regular local riders and would often take the chance of the drive out on those "maybe it will blow" days. Ron was always quick to loan a downhaul tool or help you lay some monofilm tape to get back on the water. He will be out ther with us in the wind. .Good winds and waves for eternity bud!!! Best wishes to Barb and family. RIP Ron.
Sander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Ron Azoff Reply with quote

I'm so sorry to hear that. We had some amazing times. I 1st met Ron and Barb over on Maui in the 80's and we spent many subsequent days at Leo, hanging on the top of the stairs. I remember racing Ron through the Kelp beds and out as far as we could go. There was one particular time on the outside when I hit a particularly high jump and I looked down and there was Ron slightly upwind of me looking up with a big smile on his face. I'm sorry that we all lost touch over the years, but I think of their family fondly and will seriously miss knowing that he is around somewhere. I'm sure it's 20-25 and sunny with warm water wherever he is!!!

Sander
Billyptres

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: ronnie Reply with quote

Fortunately he was around long enough to raise his kids and he comes from a solid family but it was way too soon to lose him! He was a real soul sailor who was probably happiest blasting around around Leo being in the mix, and watching everyone have fun...We are very sorry for Barb and his kids. .javascript:emoticon('Crying or Very sad')

When we moved here 17 years ago with our babies and became Leo regulars Ron and Barbara befriended us right away. He always made me and everyone around him laugh, he was a tortured soul and his sharp humor was his mechanism to get through his world. I would kid him about how a chubby little wise ass could end up with someone as beautiful (and a great sailor) as Barbara. He loved her like crazy and knew she was the best thing that ever happened to him. One of the only guys who had a wife who sailed he always made sure she was set with her rig. Her skills on the waves were far above most (including the guys) and ron loved watching her rip.
He also loved to race and play chicken on who would sail the longest reach before turning. I remember and I am sure Traig does the time we were all breaking down at the top of the stairs and Barbara came up to us and said Ron was missing. We found him with binoculars about 1.5 miles out clinging to his board -it had shut off and there was no way he was swimming that far. Traig who had been wavesailing all day walked to his old blue truck grabbed his fins and life guard buoy and started down the stairs (sans wet suit) to bring him in. A quick conference amongst us regulars concluded Traig needed a plan B We all thought that even Traig (this was when he was superman pre the surgeries and kite injuries ) would have trouble towing a tired Ron and his gear from that far out .We rounded up a sea kayak from the campground, I paddled out to them. Traig's teeth were chattering and Ron was ebullient to see me, making wise ass comments right away We were laughing on the paddle in trying to keep the kayak from swamping kidding Ron about what a morsel he would have been for the men in the grey suits out there.... I am glad he found sailing because I think it was where he was at his best.
bad_dolphin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Barbara Reply with quote

Barbara-

Janice, Casey and I are very sorry for your loss.

--Cliff
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always discouraging to learn that someone falls victum to an untimely end. Being from Santa Barbara, I have been an occasional Summer visitor to Leo for many years. Yet, from Billyptres' comments, I was able to finally center in with some clarity and remember Ron. As I recollect, he was a fellow Windwing sailor that was a regular fixture at Leo. Although I was an outsider of sorts, Ron and his wife were always very open and friendly. My sincere condolences to family.
jdmalibu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barb,

Very sorry for your loss. You and Ron have always been a very positive part of the staircase scene, not to mention great sailors on the water.

Much love,

JD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: