myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Cape forecast for August 10
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wind.Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Cape forecast for August 10 Reply with quote

What's up with todays forecast for cape cod? It couldn't be off any more than it is - goes back to the thread about updates. Today, without question, there should have been an update.
cosmicharlie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothings doing on Cape Cod and this may continue for a while. I just bought another inflatable kayak and am going out now.
KiteBob

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really glad you've brought that up Wind.Man, I nearly got caught with this unrealistic high wind forecast... I hope the guy responsible for this joke has a good explanation.

I takes me nearly 7 hours to get to the east coast of Cape Cod but I really don't mind making this distance once in a while to catch some good winds and waves out in the Cape... specially when there's not much around my home spots.
I saw this forecast thursday night, I was cranked up and ready to leave. I though at that time the iW meteorolist had seen something before anyone else. I've check again at 7h15 friday morning before leaving, the updated forecast was still calling for NorthEasterlies reaching mid-tweenties by late afternoon friday and then moderate N/NE winds for all day saturday...

Can you imagine, NE winds 24 to 28 knots for Kalmus!!!
That's pretty akward and wild but it would certainly have been good at the Wellfleet beaches...

But still, all other marine forecasts were calling for only 5 to 10 knots!!! By looking at isobars maps I certainly could see why! And as the past days wind graphs shows, that's about what happended, only light winds for friday and saturday... Boy am I glad I didn't go!

Usually, iWindsurf meteorologists get it nailed pretty good for Cape Cod and they will specify when the systems evolution makes the forecasts unreliable. But to be that far on a less-than-12-hours forecast, that's really something!
If it would have been from Matt, David or Kate, I would have trust it a little more but this early weekend forecast was isued by a newcomer... who seems to be quite unexperienced...
cosmicharlie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>Usually, iWindsurf meteorologists get it nailed pretty good for Cape Cod << Depends on what you mean by pretty good. Yesterday late, we had some sea breezes which could have supported a big sail on the sound. The waves you post about, aren't real waves but very choppy conditions. If you like it, it was there, though. The new kayak was a big success. I also was able to gather some cherry stone clams and have an excellent supper. Never rely on one source for your New England weather forecasts. Besides, it changes all the time so you will be sorely disappointed if you repeatedly drive to the Cape because you see wind either on the meters or in the forecast.
beachdoser

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compare yesterday's archival chart at Black beach on Buzzards Bay
http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=102&siteID=80&days=1&Isection=Wind+Yesterday
with the one for Kalmus. The afternoon sea breezes occurred in Falmouth, but not at Kalmus. Just shows you how on any given day the winds can differ from one end of Cape Cod to the other.
KiteBob

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I know that the usual around-15-knots sea breeze surge is not likely to happen at every beaches every day, there's few factors needed for that and it can be very localized.
But it wasn't much question of a sea breeze on the friday forecast but of a "frontal low pressure system approching" developping mid-tweenties winds on the Cape...
And the forecast was putting emphasis on the fact that it would mostly affect the outward regions: "Strongest winds across the eastern and southern portions of the Cape, slightly lighter at Duxbury and Buzzard's Bay"...

Anyway, I'm glad that all other marine forecasters wrote that there was not much hope of more than 5 to 10 knots on friday and saturday, it saved me 175$ of gaz!...
Wind.Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note sure about this guy posting with all the different names, but that's besides the point. I'm really confused on how a forecast can be that far off when every other source seemed to get it right. To me, the worst part is that the 6pm and 6am forecast were the same (what a joke), but there was NO "special update".

There have been complaintes here before about doing away with the 11am update, and iwindsurf has stated that they will always do special updates as needed. Was there ever more of a need than on this day? What are we all paying for. It's one thing to be a little off, but this forecast was an absolute joke.

Dear iwindsurf - thanks for raising your prices and giving us a joke of a forecast on Friday.
rationalnational

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

umm yeah. you know these guys do a really good job of providing us withforecasts and one thing I have learned (from 16 years of being out on the other island) is that if systems are coming from the west they come later.
Well Friday filled in around 4-5pm with 20-25 kts from the NE. Very similar to what the forecast was. If I only looked at the airport reading I wouldn't have gone but by being able to look all around and west we were able to have a rough idea of when and if the winds would come.

They came just not to everyone. The same thing happened on Wednesday. Big forecast but a reminder from iwindsurf that the rain could foul things. It did but also gave us 2-3 hrs of 25-35 kts which was fantastic. Once again the bouy and sensor readings helped us make an educated decision.

I know it is tough to live that far away from the ocean and the spots you want to go to but that is a consequence of your locale and certainly not iwindsurfs fault.

and yes bruce is a freakazoid
Wind.Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rationalnational-

first things first - I live on Cape Cod. I don't travel hours to get to the beach based on a forecast. I can be there is 5 minutes.

However, I am paying for a service, and that service was TERRIBLE on Friday. I was at the beach, and there was NO wind - not even close to the forecast.

For you to even come close to saying the forecast was right is complete bs.
rationalnational

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have to go change my nappies otherwise i might cry all weekend long...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: