myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
think about a lid
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gorgekite

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not trying to push anything on anyone. Notice I titled the thread think about a lid not wear one. I could careless if other people wear them. But I do think that anytime someone dies in a sport respectful discusion is waranted
WMP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure thing, but if we are talking safety issues here, I find the most unsafe behavior is sailing out of control. I also find that most out of control sailors wear helmets. Maybe it's just me who notices this... but the attitude seems to be that as long as these folks wear helmets, they think they can be as careless and wreckless without any risk to themselves..... that's all that matters. They feel no responsibility to the harm they can cause to others on the water.

Important note... I'm not saying here that all folks who wear helmets are this way. It just can be an attitude and I've seen it especially in folks who wear helmets.
gorgekite

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that out of control sailers are a danger. That is why I never sail or kite in a crowd. But mostly kiteing solo I try to always wear my helmet.
gorgekite

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that out of control sailers are a danger. That is why I never sail or kite in a crowd. But mostly kiteing solo I try to always wear my helmet.
andymc4610

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the out of control sailors, who are more likely to helmet wearing, are more the beginning types. Which is also the reason a lot of people do not want to wear the 'brain bucket', they look like a gaper....that being said mines on on that 3.7-3.5 day, getting hucked or overrotating on a jump. No ones always in control sailing unless your just slalom sailing.
WMP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="gorgekite" But mostly kiteing solo I try to always wear my helmet.[/quote]

This is a really big mystery to me, please explain this. When you know what you're doing (unless you do something really stupid), biggest danger on the water (by far) is other folks on the water who don't know what THEY are doing. So.... why wear a helmet if you're all by yourself and you're efficient at what you do?

Course, there's always the unexpected surprise packages that come along with the game (guaranteed).... but experience teaches us lessons on what to avoid. When you've been around long enough, you know the danger and hopefully heed the warnings.

Just a thought... sandbars can be very wonderful places to go if the conditons are just right. But if the tide isn't just right.... they can kill.
gorgekite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of I have a nice kevlar kayak helmet so wearing it has no effect on me. When I am alone the bigest concern is the board just like the lady that passed away. If you just cruise back and forth their is less risk but jumping somtimes stuff goes bad. Also launching and landing kites the bigest danger is hitting somthing on land solo launching and landing always adds a danger factor over having help. It is all about determing the risk in each situation for you self.
ducks007

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: second post troll Reply with quote

>the last 5 years happened as a result of wearing a helmet. My eye was
>nearly cut by my fin because of the buoyancy of my helmet. I was

Nearly is the key word.

Last edited by ducks007 on Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WMP wrote:
why wear a helmet if you're all by yourself and you're efficient at what you do?

I was alone the two times my face guard definitely saved my right eye ball and socket from destruction, the one time I was stunned by a blow to my temple through my helmet (did it save my life?), and the dozens of times I've whacked my skull or face against my own gear over the years. Every sunny day my helmet's visor protects my head and forehead from skin cancer, helps protect my eyes from cataracts, and helps my vision real time by keeping the sun out of my eyes and from glaring off any drops or river slime on my shades. When hailstorms make others run for cover, I just tip my visor into the wind and keep on keepin' on; sorta fun sailing in big winds and hard hail.

And the really really big reason for wearing a helmet? The many, many people who got hurt, permanently injured, or even killed by blows helmets and face guards would have mitigated. I hope many will learn and benefit from these experiences.

\m/
tweeky

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
When hailstorms make others run for cover, I just tip my visor into the wind and keep on keepin' on; sorta fun sailing in big winds and hard hail.
\m/

If you're sailing in hail, you're an idiot. Hail forms in thunderstorms, and one day you'll find out just how good a lightning rod your mast is. Just goes to show that while wearing a helmet might protect your brains, doesn't mean people have brains because they are wearing a helmet! Laughing

Last edited by tweeky on Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: