myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Moving to L.A. (USC) from the Gorge... yah baby!...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lutehowland

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From 'SC you can be at Cabrillo in twenty minutes - straight down the 110!
The good thing is that 90% of the time you'll miss the traffic, since the way back is against the rush hour. Definitely not Gorge conditions though Sad
robby

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice picture Fred...why not just post nude pictures of all of the women in your family and put your address in as well
jp5

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HA! that picture is not typical by any means.
TheItalianJobber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
robby said: nice picture Fred...why not just post nude pictures of all of the women in your family and put your address in as well

Good suggestion, robby!
...unfortunately it doesn't work well: your Dad tried that idea before you, and see what we've got?!
Mad

Don't you see how everybody else is sharing and welcoming?
What's the need of being (poorly) funny?
I wish you to be "all alone ripping" the next time you break a mast...

STOP LOCALISM! Everybody should just know what you're doing and try being friendly!
Sad
geeeez...
robby

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry "bip bip"

I didn't know you were one of the women in Fred's family....I meant no disrespect to you girls....
nealpar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That picture is awesome, and it also reveals what happens on a "good day" like that one, which is that you'll be "sharing" or be "forced to share" the waves with surfers and kiters.

However, days like the one on the picture, with nice surf AND strong winds are about 5/year max!

If you'll be attending USC, you can forget about doing Leo Carrillo between classes. LA is huge, and getting from the USC part of town all the way to Malibu will take an hour, WITHOUT TRAFFIC. With traffic, you're looking at 1.5-2 hours, one way. Anyway, Leo usually doesn't get good until after 3 pm. Cabrillo is much more do-able, but make sure your immune system can handle the bacteria onslought there (all your shots current?), and be prepared for just slalom sailing.

San Carlos is not 5-6 hours, it's more like 10-11 hours drive from LA.

Another alternative: Just be a really good student for a few years! Smile
TheItalianJobber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...yeah, yeah, "robby": that was a quick way of showing everybody how smart you are.
Rolling Eyes

I'm gonna send you a pm (nothing 'pre-menstrual'), so that I won't annoy everybody else, like you are doing...

But more (better) comments are welcome...
robby

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"bip bip" you got me soo good !

I concede to your superior wit and intellect.

It doesnt take the super brain that only you possess to acknowledge that 99% of the posts about this windsurf location relate to how overcrowded it is and how dangerous it is to be a windsurfer there.

To suggest to someone who has never been here (through a picture of one of the best days in years) that this is what "Leo" is all about is misleading, irresponsble and just plain stoopid...oops! I cant evin spel!

Your IQ challenged friend,

Robby
TheItalianJobber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
robby said: ...how dangerous it is to be a windsurfer there.
To suggest to someone who has never been here (through a picture of one of the best days in years) that this is what "Leo" is all about is misleading, irresponsble...

...yeah, let's hide all the pictures!
The strangers are coming.... booooo!

You obviously haven't been sailing the Gorge (...how could you? You were busy watching your 'territory'...), so that's for you, my beach warden friend:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4IiOJhUQ7o

The conditions shown on the pic are pretty harmless (though beautiful), or do you wanna compare them to these?
http://www.u-ride.net/images/articles07/01/rbsc9.jpg
http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/7693/vignetteri5.jpg
http://windsurfesp.com/imagspots/8A_06SPO.JPG
http://www.u-ride.net/images/articles07/01/rbsc2.jpg
http://wwwf43.unblog.fr/files/2007/08/jojo18ans007.jpg

(omg! I posted pictures of the whole world: they are all gonna be calling me 'stoopid', as you did call poor Fred btw., the diabolic photographer...)

Also, if that's 'crowded' it means that at Hookipa they are soon gonna be towing away whoever isn't double looping.

Give us a break...
kpsounis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: robbynaish, read this too if you are really into wavesailing Reply with quote

Dude, since "you are mostly interested in places with good swell that you can hit before and after classes", here is all the info that you need (a few guys already gave you some of the info I am giving you one way or the other, but not the complete picture):

1) Welcome to LA and USC, drop by my office at USC (RTH 409) once on campus to give you more info if you want.

2) Sorry to disappoint you, but you should start kiting ASAP. (A controversial advice that is nevertheless 100% correct if you really do care about riding swell.) To make the long story short, there are two windy spots close to USC:
(i) Cabrillo (30 min from USC) that is the windiest, but it is always flat (unless a very wierd hurricane sends a very wierd swell, once per 10 years or so), so forget about it,
(ii) Leo Carrillo (50 min from USC) that is a bit less windy, occassionally gets some SW swell, (County line, 2 min drive north gets some NW swell too) and you will have good fun with both wind and waves about 5 times per year.
If you kite instead, you will ride waves about 50-100 times per year, since usually the wind is good enough to kite, but not enough to sail. So, start thinking along the lines "I can go to Leo and hit the swell with a surfbord and a KITE, after my classes since it gets windy in the afternoon". Finally, despite LA traffic, if you leave from USC before 3:30pm, you can easily be at Leo in less than an hour, the traffic is in the other direction.

3) You should nevertheless keep you windsurfing gear for a number of reasons:
(i) These 5 days per year, Leo Carillo/County line are indeed fun to wavesail,
(ii) C-street (1 hour 15 min from USC) does get NW swell with wind another 5 days per year,
(iii) Jalama (2 hours 30 min from USC) does get serious swell in the winter, so it is worth the daily trip if the buoys are reading large long period NW swell,
(iv) Arroyo Laguna (3 hours 30 min from USC, also know as Piedras Blancas) is nice on a SW swell, so if Leo is not looking good, it might worth the trip,
(v) Davenport (5 hours from USC, just north of Sant Cruz) is very consistent with wind, gets both NW and SW swells nicely, and gets mast high with enough wind to sail at least 10 days a year, and many more days logo high,
(vi) Last but not least, San Carlos (9 hours from USC, in Baja California), is super nice on a SW swell. It is worth to consider skipping lectures (watch them over the Internet at a later time, some departments at USC offer that option Smile for a really good SW swell at San Carlos.
So, start thinking along the lines "I am ready to drive north or south for a 2-3-4-5 days trip depending on lecture and exam schedule, if some serious swell is forecasted, and there are good chances of wind, in order to do some good wavesailing". After a couple of trips like that, you won't sail the Gorge again, you might hit the Oregon coast, but large river ramps won't mean much to you.

Of course, all these are valid if indeed what you want is to "hit the good swell". If you enjoy slalom sailing, you will have good time both at Cabrillo and Leo Carrillo a decent amount of days per year, with a large board, and large sails.

All in all, start kiting, and get a good car for the trips!!!

Welcome,
K.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: