myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
This sat, good place for advanced and beginner ??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bradj

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: This sat, good place for advanced and beginner ?? Reply with quote

Hi,

I will be going up to the Portland area for the first time this weekend. I would like to sail saturday if possible. I also have two beginners (50'something who has sailed a few times in the past, and a 20's something with no experience)
older, 1 younger) that would like to get a lesson. We will have a vehicle that is large enough to carry some gear but would prefer to minimize distance between shop and sailing sites. Any recommendations? I would prefer big swell, etc, but can compromise on a more beginner-friendly place since they are driving me around!

thanks,
brad
bobgatpdx1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hook is the best place - it is the westmost launch that you can get to from exit 63 in Hood River. Inside of the hook is where lessons are held - BigWinds or ABK are both good. Outside of The Hook is a good place to work on waterstarts, etc - it is out of the river current. For experienced sailors, you can sail out past Wells Island to the main river channel and sail upwind all the way to The Hatchery if you like.
bobg
bradj

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should I bring a wetsuit and/or harness? I only have a 5/3....
boardsportsrule4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to hood river. get them a lesson at the hook from bigwinds, brians, or isthmuth, and then you launch and sail up to the hatchery..perfect! the water isnt too cold. i usually dont wear a wetsuit, but occasionaly wear a shorty, bring something just in case, or you can borrow one from the lesson place if nessesary. if you're riding big swell, you're gonna be good, in which case you would want your harness..right? bigwinds can rent you gear down at the beach too, so driving is minimal. i think ismuth(ABK) can aswell, but i am not sure.
andymc4610

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bradj wrote:
Should I bring a wetsuit and/or harness? I only have a 5/3....

The water is 68-70, it is warm but you should bring the wersuit for anyone spending a length of time in the water. And yeah the harness i doubt it takes up too much room in your car Wink
bradj

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am flying.. that is why I asked about the wetsuit and harness availability onsite instead of bringing my own. Thanks for all the information.
bobgatpdx1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5/3 suit is a bit much for August in the Gorge. This time of year, most experienced sailors use a shorty. I sometimes use my short sleeve 3mm suit on cooler days. You can rent gear at Isthmus or BigWinds, but I always like to bring my own wetsuit/harness if I can swing it.
good luck,
bobg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: