myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
this crazy sport...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windwiner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: this crazy sport... Reply with quote

After kicking myself for not making the journey to Sherman Island on Sunday, because I didn't have enough time, I decided to cut out of work early today and go looking for wind. Based on the iwindsurf report Sherman was looking like the best option. "Better than Monday" said the forcast and since yesterday had solid 20's all afternoon I was up for the drive even though I had to be back in the city to releive the baby sitter by 7pm. Well, round trip time from Dogpatch SF to Sherman and back to Noe valley was roughly 3 hours of driving and sitting in traffic for what turned out to be about 50 minutes of mediocre (5.7 on a 110 lt board) sailing. So much for the forecast, it didn't kick into the 20's until 6pm (the forecast had the wind dropping by that time) but to be honest those 50 minutes were totally worth it. I love this crazy sport. I can't wait to get back in the car, er I mean on the water.
beallmd

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think about what is a good or at least acceptable windsurfing session? It is an addiction for sure; so what quells that addiction? and how far am I willing to go for what? I have driven 3 hours when I used to live in redding for a 2 hour session at Rio-I then drove home very happy. I think a 45 minute session is satisfying. Of course I would want more but 45 minutes works for me. If it is just local sailing at Washoe lake; 20 minutes will suffice but 45 is really much better in quelling the addiction. The biggest gear I use is a 6-8 sail on a 129 liter board and I weigh 225. If that doesn't work, count me out. More often I rig a 6-0 and go with whatever board works. The 6-0 is my GO TO sail. What about You?
2bluehawaiins

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: windsurfing rio Reply with quote

Yes it's just like surfing ,If you don't go for the drive you wil never surf . I drove out to rio friday am , just as the wind shut down . From what I could see there were 10 to 15 other poeple who did the same . I drove an hour and fourty five minutes and was back home by 130 pm . Maybe next time !
2bluehawaiins

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: windsurfing rio Reply with quote

Yes it's just like surfing ,If you don't go for the drive you wil never surf . I drove out to rio friday am , just as the wind shut down . From what I could see there were 10 to 15 other poeple who did the same . I drove an hour and fourty five minutes and was back home by 130 pm . Maybe next time !
shitan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windwiner wrote:
Based on the iwindsurf report Sherman was looking like the best option

Me and Two other buddies we sailed san Pablo bay today, it was solid 4.7 on the outside there is a small slogging area but just like Third sometimes when you must rig for the channel.

All my friends are wind addicts so i don't really feel bad skipping work or family business to go sailing. I believe windsurfing has some special priority and controlling my life so far. May be i'll be unable to pay my rent next month, SO what? The buzz is big that i keep forgetting that i'm in trouble.

Oh well, no much left in this beautiful season that started way earlier than usual, most of us will soon go to hibernation mode and catch up with life, LOL...
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Windwiner.....do not, I repeat do not go to Sherman unless you have decent heating inland. The last few days have been mild, producing little pressure gradient. Sunday had frigid wet nasty coastal weather combined with decent weather in SAC.
jse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shitan wrote:
Me and Two other buddies we sailed san Pablo bay today, it was solid 4.7 on the outside there is a small slogging area but just like Third sometimes when you must rig for the channel.

What launch for San Pablo bay? I see good wind to the west of Richmond Parkway sometimes, and I've been tempted to go explore.

shitan wrote:
Oh well, no much left in this beautiful season that started way earlier than usual, most of us will soon go to hibernation mode and catch up with life, LOL...

Hibernate??? You don't sail storms?

Steve
carl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shitan wrote:

"Season" ??? "Hibernate" ???? Surely Shitan was talking about other folks
who fade away after Sept 15th and hibernate till May.
The "season" for us starts Jan 1st and doesn't end until Dec 31st Exclamation Exclamation
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this argument has been had before on this forum but Ill spark it anyway. I am an obsessed windsurfer, I admit it.. but I am also an obsessed road bike/MTBiker, and obsessed skier. The gear goes in the rafters in Mid September , which is the start of the prime MTB season, then when daylight savings time ends, the prime Squaw Valley season starts. Then around March after a great ski season, which is still ripping, the Tomales/Waddel 3.5-4.0 sessions begin. Its the California Dream, being lived by an idiot from upstate NY.

Boggsie
windoggi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, boggsman...is your first name peat?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: