myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
think about a lid
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gorgekite

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: think about a lid Reply with quote

The windsurfer that died at Mosier died of blunt tramma to the head.
WMP

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Ahhh yes... the helmet thing. Reply with quote

Don't want to burst your bubble here, but the worst injury I've had in the last 5 years happened as a result of wearing a helmet. My eye was nearly cut by my fin because of the buoyancy of my helmet. I was thrown in front of the board and the helmet didn't allow my head to sink into the water fast enough to avoid an injury. The cut happened on my eye lid, just a fraction of an inch away from my eye.

No more helmet. I've been sailing 20+ years without one.... no problem, honest. Less complicated, less weight, less risky. No helmet for me anymore.
advgeek

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Ahhh yes... the helmet thing. Reply with quote

WMP wrote:
Don't want to burst your bubble here, but the worst injury I've had in the last 5 years happened as a result of wearing a helmet. My eye was nearly cut by my fin because of the buoyancy of my helmet. I was thrown in front of the board and the helmet didn't allow my head to sink into the water fast enough to avoid an injury. The cut happened on my eye lid, just a fraction of an inch away from my eye.

No more helmet. I've been sailing 20+ years without one.... no problem, honest. Less complicated, less weight, less risky. No helmet for me anymore.

You know you shouldn't wear a seatbelt either because I once knew a guy who's cousin's wife worked with a guy that got thrown from a car just before it plunged off a cliff. If he'd been wearing a seatbelt he's be dead.

Your using the same kind of logic for not wearing a helmet. What if you unhelmeted head happened to be just a little lower and the nose of your board ran into your skull at full speed. I'm sorry but not wearing a helmet windsurfing (or skiing, biking or motorcycling) is really dumb idea. I have a use for all that soft grey matter up there and worrying about where my skull is relative to my board during a crash isn't really practical. However it doesn't sound like you have much use for that thing at the end of your neck, so carry on.
advgeek

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who wear helmets are there any that don't drain into your eyes. My Protec has been fine, except after going under it tends to drain out into my eyes, which can be a pain with contact lens.
gorgekite

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kayak shops have the best helmets.
WMP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever floats your boat.... full body armor would be even better. Why don't you insecure folks wear neck braces too.... THAT's the most vulnerable area of the body.... a hit to the neck could kill ya!! Hey, if it makes you feel more secure... why not?
gorgekite

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WMP are you really making fun of a windsurfer that just died. (a hit to the neck could kill you) you need to show a little respect in case her familly or friends read this.
angus44

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to each their own.... re. helmets, PFD's & safety equipment on the water.
andymc4610

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The article about her stated she would wear a helmet on those 'really' windy days as I do, out of control 3.5 day.

Just a sad freak accident, as is often the case in life.

I am more likey to forget my helmet at a sailing site than any other peice of equipment. If anyone is looking for one you can pick up an adult skate helemt at 'big 5' for $12.00 and works as good as my old pro-tech, just not so large in combersome.
WMP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gorgekite wrote:
WMP are you really making fun of a windsurfer that just died. (a hit to the neck could kill you) you need to show a little respect in case her family or friends read this.

Hey... you are the one who is using this tragic death to push your helmet agenda down folks throat... and this (IMO) is very disrespectful to the victim here. All I'm saying is that if a helmet makes you feel more safe & secure.... you should wear a helmet. I've just had a bad experience with it.

Should be noted that I had a near death experience with someone who was sailing out of control (dude with a helmet on) near Cheap Beach many years ago. I was knocked out when the idiot let go of his rig.... tip of his mast hit me in my neck.... just below the ear. There's not a helmet made that would have prevented this knock-out injury.

I think sailing in control is the most important thing... if you can't sail in control, you shouldn't be on the water even wearing a helmet. You are a threat to the safety of others. Staying away from folks who are sailing out of control is even more important. Other than that... when it's your time to go, it's your time to go. If you have a problem with fear of death or injury.... there's plenty of shrinks and meds out there that can deal with that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: