myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
So-Cal windsurfing community mourns the loss of Ron Azoff
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robby

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: So-Cal windsurfing community mourns the loss of Ron Azoff Reply with quote

Ron Azoff who was a regular fixture for years at Leo Carillo passed away in his sleep this past week at the age of 50. All of those who remember Ron will recall how he and his windsurfing wife Barbara were regular fixtures at Leo from the mid 80'S until a few years ago. Ron was one of the happiest and most carefree sailors to ever grace our waters and will be missed by all who remember his free spirit and generousity of heart. Ron is survived by his wife Barbara and his sons Nick and Everett. A memorial service will be held in his honor on Tuesday August 7, 2007 at 2:30 PM at the Pacific View Memorial Park in Corona Del Mar Ca. Ron was a true soul sailor . I will miss him and all he stood for.
jp5

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry to hear of Ron's passing, my sincere condolences to his family.
robby

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Ron Azoff Reply with quote

Thanks JP...I will tell his family....Anyone else have memories of Ron?
theq

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Wow, that's really hard to believe. Ron was a good guy. Reply with quote

Wow, my heartfelt condolences to Barbara and her family. I met Barbara in a class at Pierce College back in the late eighties, early nineties. We recognized each other from Leo C. and became friends. It's true that Ron was always joking around. He was also a pretty decent sailor, as is Barbara, although I think she had a knee that was bothering her in the later windsurfing years. Heck, that was back that time when Leo people were still sailing up at Castaic. I remember seeing Ron there a time or two. It wasn't long after Ron and Barbara had a child that they weaned themselves off of windsurfing (At least at Leo. C.). A concurrent weaning? At least I don't recall having seen them in what must be over 5 years now. Ron's early departure is very sad news for me indeed. R.I.P. Ron.
johnnycrash

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Ronny Reply with quote

Robby,
Thanks for the post. I have many good memories of Ronny and Barb from many (over 20) years. I think I last saw Ronny sailing about 3 years ago at Leo. Always smiling and ready with a funny quip. Always good vibes from Ronny. I remember going over to their house (with Frank, their poolman - at the time) to buy a used board, and Ronny ending up - barganing for a couple months of service and then just giving Frank a couple of sails and then giving me a custom asymetrical that he said didn't work well for him. Well it worked well for me, (until I broke it in half - a couple seasons later). My condolences to Barb and family, he will be missed, - his soul and spirit live on, in those he touched.

John O
robby

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John...thanks for bringing back memories of the Frank/Trent/Dolly days...when the sport was about soul, agood session and a cold beer...
robby

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John...thanks for bringing back memories of the Frank/Trent/Dolly days...when the sport was uncrowded and about the soul experience with good friends...
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron was a great guy. I often looked for their motor home over the last few years wondering if they would ever show back up. Ron and Barb spent many a beautiful afternoon at Secos as it was called in the 80's.

The waves were larger then and the crowds were bigger, but the Sarcasm and comedy at the top of the stairs is the biggest thing missing since they haven't been sailing there.

Best wishes Barb and family.
dabull1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recieved the sad news this afternoon on arrival at Leo for a late afternoon session.Back in the day, Ron and Barb, in their old silver Toyota truck with the red driver's side door[the original had been knocked off while they were sailing the Sacto River Delta], and I would race down Encinal Canyon and arrive at Leo for that sunset cruise at about that same time. Sometimes while waiting for wind, Ron would entertain us with his stories about selling his T- shirts at rock concerts... Ronny could spin a tale Our favorite stories were of his antics at the Grateful Dead shows at Pauli Pavilion, since a number of us are Deadheads. When sailing , Ron,Barb and I would often prove Ron's rule... "he who milks the wind swims it in!" It's been maybe three or four years since I last saw Ron and Barb at Leo, and at that time we heard how their sons were getting into sports and how proud they were of them. Most of us were expecting to see the next generation of windsurfing Azoff's any day now at Leo. To that end, Barbara, I have been babysitting your Mistral Electron since Sports LTD left windsurfing. Ron was a great guy and will be sadly missed... now he's a great spirit who will sail with all who new him til' we meet again! 20 knots and sheet in for eternity good friend!!! Sincerely, Bill Kaser
traig

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what a bummer... Ron and Barb were two of my favorite people to clown with at the stairs back in the day before and after a good wave sailing session. They were very regular local riders and would often take the chance of the drive out on those "maybe it will blow" days. Ron was always quick to loan a downhaul tool or help you lay some monofilm tape to get back on the water. He will be out ther with us in the wind. .Good winds and waves for eternity bud!!! Best wishes to Barb and family. RIP Ron.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: