myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
No more rentals on Maui north shore?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeff_bennett64

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a letter to the editor in the Maui News from the county planning director explaining some background and current status. Just came out in yesterday's news:

http://www.mauinews.com/story.aspx?id=32904
aaron1234

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post Jeff, thanks for that. I had one of my best windsurfing vacations renting out Club Paradise with some of my buddies. The place itself wasn't that great but the property and sailing was second to none. We stayed for twelve days and had some Pro's come over and sail with us. Just a non stop party it was truly unforgettable. I hope that this doesn't put an end to North Shore windsurfing rentals, that would be a huge loss.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My letter to the Mayor and Maui news

Honorable Mayor Charmaine Tavares,

Your proposed ban on North Shore vacation rentals will have significant repercussions for all homeowners on the North Shore. Most of the homes in my neighborhood are vacation rentals, mine is not. Most of the homes are rented to windsurfers who only want to stay on the North Shore. I do not want to see a ban on vacation rentals for the following reasons.

1) Values are already falling and this will lead to more homes being sold as a result. Homeowners cannot and will not continue to own vacant homes that most of them bought to rent and use as vacation rentals.

2) Windsurfers will stop coming to Maui if they cannot stay on the North Shore. This will have island wide economic ramifications.

3) Vacation renters are usually affluent and expect properties to be maintained, Month to month tenants don't expect the same amenities and gardens.

4) There will be panic among property owners on the North Shore. I am considering selling my house as a result of this enforcement. It is easy to see the outcome of your enforcement actions. Lower home values, and run down neighborhoods.

In conclusion, my home is located at 56 Lana, Paia. Go take a drive by and look at my neighbors. Most are vacation rentals and look far nicer than my house that is not. The homes that are not vacation rentals have old cars, dry lawns, dogs, cats, roosters, and chipping paint. The vacation rentals have beautiful lawns, nice furniture, nice decks and window coverings and proffesional gardeners. This entire neighborhood will decline as a result of your unwise decision to enforce an antiquated law that nobody thought would ever be enforced.

Steven Bard
nealpar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maui used to be a "second home" for me a few years back, and after a couple of stays on the south shore, it became crystal clear that the North Shore was the place to be. For years, I rented bungalows or rooms in private homes on the North Shore, and have some of the MOST FOND MEMORIES OF MY LIFE staying on the lush and cozy North Shore, where you can see the shooting stars at night and really "feel" Maui, I mean, in feel it in a metaphysical way...., instead of the sterile, over-developed, dry and touristy Lahaina, Kihei, etc.., other parts of the island. I'll be truly bummed if this law reduces natural competition for tourist dollars on the island....

I am a Los Angeles resident. Not too long ago, some wealthy hispanic businesswoman thought it would be a good idea to start a 60 child day-care facility smack across the street from me in a strictly residential neighborhood. As L.A. has a shortage of daycares, (due to the ever-increasing immigration population who like to have 3-4 kids when they arrive), it was a HUGE POLITICAL OBSTACLE to oppose her APPLICATION for such a facility. However, I, along with my neighbors got together, got UNIFIED, and after being repeatedly DENIED by the local planning commission, we took our APPEAL ALL THE WAY TO THE LOS ANGELES CITY COUNCIL. (Now mayor) Villaraigosa was still a member then. Anyway, we got the local newspapers involved, put pressure on our District Council member, and eventually, we prevailed! NO f'n daycare. No traffic nightmare, no noise, no pollution from such a business across from my bedroom!!!

Message to this topic: PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, ALL OF YOU IN MAUI WHO HAVE LEGAL STANDING TO CHALLENGE THIS, PLEASE GET TOGETHER, GET YOURSELVES ORGANIZED, AND PUT PRESSURE ON YOUR LOCAL POLITICIANS TO OPPOSE THIS, OR TO RUSH NEW LEGISLATION TO OPPOSE THIS! THERE ARE LOTS OF KNUCKLEHEADS SERVING ON THE PLANNING COMMISSIONS IN MANY CITIES, AND DON'T LET THEM DICTATE YOUR LIVES. I'M TOTALLY SERIOUS. YOU HAVE THE POWER, IF YOU ORGANIZE, TO DICTATE TO THEM!!!
actionsportsmaui

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are still legal vacation rentals on the North Shore of Maui. Check out our condo at www.vrbo/61250. We have a 2 bed 2 bath right next to Ho'okipa.
actionsportsmaui

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct link to legal vacation rental on the North Shore, Maui. http://www.vrbo.com/61250
theq

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In reality, it probably has to do their income stream (bed tax or something of the sort) and successful lobbists paid by the big hotel folks.

This is kind of what I was thinking was going on. It's probably a combination of the resorts being overdeveloped, and fallout from the concentration of wealth that's occurring in the U.S., and perhaps the world. There are some people, like neilpar, who are unwilling to stay in the resort areas, and there are others who just can't afford to stay in the resort areas. I'm obviously talking about the 4-Seasons and Ritz sort of places. Since Maui Land and Pineapple owns the land that the Ritz is on, and has been renovating another large hotel near Kapalua ( I think?), they're very interested in keeping rooms filled. I believe that this shows a rather simple-minded, and ultimately rather meaningless to them, approach to keeping rooms filled by eliminating minor competition.
How many rooms will end up being filled at each hotel/resort, once tourists get divided up between them? Ultimately, this action will end up looking rather punitive than substantive. That's never a good thing politically, IMHO.
If the income gap widens further, the resorts' key to survival will be to raise their prices on the rooms that are occupied, as many of those people "burp" up hundred dollar bills that may have once trickled down to the disappearing middle-class. They shouldn't make the small businessperson pay to subsidize those who have so much and just don't want to pay more. They'll pay. The local government should let them, and leave the small vacation rental owner alone.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A letter from a friend on Maui

Aloha Steven,

You made the news! Saw your letter to the editor today. I am sure you will get a few calls from Realtors after stating that you are considering selling.

The vacation rental issue is going to turn into a pretty big fight. There are a lot of people and businesses that will suffer. We saw our first real estate casualty due to the vacation rental enforcement on Thursday. Tropo House, which was an illegal B&B on East Kuiaha went on the market. The owner says she can’t pay her mortgage without vacation rentals. To say that Charmaine Tavares didn’t think this one through would be an understatement.

Let me know if you are seriously considering selling. Obviously I’d be happy to help.

Hope life is treating you well. It’s been the windiest summer that I can remember on Maui. I know the windsurfers and kite surfers have been all smiles.
WindSapien

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:54 am    Post subject: N.Shore Rentals Reply with quote

I was just checking availability for my next trip to Maui and the site said that the farm has closed down. I won't be specific but I was surprised and saddened. I haven't called them yet but now it makes sense. I try not to have knee-jerk reactions to problems that present themselves but this sucks. I can tell you that I have not done the "Touristy " thing since my first visit twenty tears ago. That is to say I go to windsurf and live in the country on beautiful Maui. I have a beautiful home right next to the lake and river in the mtns here on the mainland and I can't see spending all the money it costs just to get there so I can be around thousands of people and sniffing smog. There is some kind of diobolical scheme behind this and it smells green. It's the whole expierience not just one thing. I have all the wind I want just a mile away. If I have to stay in a condo in Kihei ........I think not....WS
DrWind

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about the problems on the North shore. When I was sailing the surf at Camp 1, I was imagining how nice it would to be to stay there and to be able to hit the surf whenever I wanted too (after 11 AM of course). Staying down in Kihei is not that bad however, as the winds there are typically stronger than Kanaha. Stayed at Maui Sunset for a week and sailed there most of the time. No problems with the reef even at low tide. I worried more about hitting sea turtles. Was within a foot of them twice. Just got back to the mainland yesterday, bummer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: