myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Pt. Isabel sensor back on line.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madspaniard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From 4 to 6, launched from Marina Bay, 178 lbs on 106-liter and 5.4 sail. Well powered up, overpowered at times. Could have been on my 5.0 so I agree it seems to read a bit low.
johnl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey IWindsurf,

If you start "tweaking" the gauge, can you post it? Cause right now, we know 17 mph means about 20, so if it's 14 - 15 I would head there and probably sail on my 5.7 where normally 15 mph wouldn't get me to the water. So if you adjust it, it would be good to know Smile

And thanks again for getting it fixed. I live 4 minutes from the Marina Bay Launch, so it's nice not having to measure how much the trees leaves are shaking to go out Smile
windfind

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Sensor location Reply with quote

Mike,

FYI, Pt. Isabel uses the same instrumentation as the “old” station. The mast was erected 6 feet from it’s previous location, and about 2 feet lower than it’s previous location. There should be no difference in the readings. I’ll send you some pics when I get back from the field.

Jeff, iwindsurf.com

To those who have asked: We have not plans to tweak the sensor reading. However the the sensor will probably read differently when the wind is more SW vs. WSW vs. W due to local wind shadows. So it will take a while for us to all to relearn the correction factors. Right now the consensus is that in the present conditions it reads a bit low.

Mike Godsey
kevinkan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification, Mike. Even though the sensor reads a little low, I think it has always read a little low. I remember a few years ago when I used to sail there all the time, the sensor would be reading 18, and I'd be on my 4.8 no problemo. Of course, I was a little lighter back then, too, but basically the new sensor readings seems to be consistent w/ the previous sensor readings. Berkeley on the other hand... the readings from that sensor used to be more in line w/ the actual wind, and now it seems like it reads wildly high (by 4mph or so) and is not consistent w/ the other sensors around the bay.

kev
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're all wacked! A lot of details and jibberish, the sensor is back up, go back to work.
Boggsie

PS I was on my 600 ltr board with a 14.0 and was really overpowered, maybe it was my 6 foot fin, but Im 348 lbs, so maybe that is the issue.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
You're all wacked! A lot of details and jibberish, the sensor is back up, go back to work.
Boggsie

PS I was on my 600 ltr board with a 14.0 and was really overpowered, maybe it was my 6 foot fin, but Im 348 lbs, so maybe that is the issue.

dude! mike asked for feedback, so we're giving it to him. if you can't handle that, then don't read this thread. and my friends and i have been sailing point isabel almost every day for the last week or so... pre and post sensor fix, so we're excited to get the sensor back and want to do whatever we can to make sure it's working optimally. is there really anything wrong w/ that? i think not... and i work in windsurfing, so this is work Very Happy

go sailing!

kev
johnl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I don't know what happened, but yesterday it seems the sensor was low. A couple of us launched from Marina Bay. It looked pretty light, but seemed it was coming up so we went out. The sensor was showing 17 mph average with gusts in the 22 mph range. So this was pretty much what it was a few days ago when we were out on 5.2 sails. Rigged 5.7 this time. Couldn't even water start at the launch. Finally slogged outside and managed to get on a plane, but it was real touch and go the entire time. There were about 4 or 5 of us out there and we were all fighting to get/stay on a plane. It finally dropped off suddenly (just like the meter shows).

Looking at the two graphs, it shows more of a south twist into the wind yesterday than Tuesday so maybe that had an effect on the meter.

But in summary I would say it read about a tad high, but more accurate in general than Tuesday.

And no, I'm not bragging about what gear I was on just sharing the difference in the sensor so others don't get fooled into driving down there for a 17 mph reading.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey kevin... Im just kidding, I get a real kick out of the what board what weight what sail what fin size what what what converstaion that some sailors get obsessed about, its funny, thats all.
jse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
Hey kevin... Im just kidding, I get a real kick out of the what board what weight what sail what fin size what what what converstaion that some sailors get obsessed about, its funny, thats all.

It's true, he doesn't waste any time on the beach obsessing over gear. Just hit's the water planing.

Chris, nice day yesterday. I made it above the "experiment" on three tacks on a 5.0, 93 liter board, 27" fin and I weigh 178. Also I had my 4/3 wetsuit, DaKine T3 harness, SPF 30 sunscreen, with my car keys on a string around my neck. Hee hee.

Steve
kevinkan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jse wrote:
boggsman1 wrote:

It's true, he doesn't waste any time on the beach obsessing over gear. Just hit's the water planing.

Chris, nice day yesterday. I made it above the "experiment" on three tacks on a 5.0, 93 liter board, 27" fin and I weigh 178. Also I had my 4/3 wetsuit, DaKine T3 harness, SPF 30 sunscreen, with my car keys on a string around my neck. Hee hee.

Steve

lol... well i guess boggsman and i have something in common then. when i go to marina bay, i just rig 5.0 no matter what... unless it's really nuking... then i hesitate for half a second, and then rig 5.0... on a 400cm mast w/ 18cm of extension and booms set at 167cm... and i only use that good white spectra line, too Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: