myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Visit to San Fran in September
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jp5

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Visit to San Fran in September Reply with quote

Is there an equipmental rental facility at Crissy field? I will be staying at the Hyatt Embarcadero the weekend of the 8th and 9th of September. I'd like to try sailing at Crissy if the wind is right.
vadler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the huge downsides of sailing SF is that it is not guest-sailing friendly. AFAIK, there is no shorefront site. Your best bet is Cityfront Boardsports that is a few blocks away. Go to sfba.org for the local association. However, if you are female, there is a guy named Larry who loans his stuff out and gives lessons.

Your timing is also not great. The wind winds down toward the end of August. The best bet is Treasure Island, but it is closed this year Sad . However, you might get lucky at Crissy. The only beachfront rental is at 3rd ave. (weekends only), and soon to be Coyote Point (new owners) which might have wind at the time of year.

Also, don't forget to check the tides for the Golden Gate that weekend. Stay away from floods and super ebbs late in the day, or carry some emergency equipment with you.

Vic
mogunn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vadler wrote:
Your best bet is Cityfront Boardsports that is a few blocks away. Go to sfba.org for the local association.Vic

Don't think Cityfront Boardsports exists anymore. There can be good days at 3rd and Coyote in September but the wind tends to favor spots further north at that time.

shitan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vadler wrote:
Your timing is also not great. The wind winds down toward the end of August

We get over 20days of wind in September and about 12 days in October then we start hunting for storms/clearings.
aaron1234

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup Cityfront is no more. I was over there a few months ago looking for a new harness and the store is gone Sad
shitan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpbassking,

You got a few options:

-Rent a car and head to Berkeley Boardsports (Berkeley) or Helm of Sunnyvale ( between coyote poit and 3rd ave) where you can rent gear then go look for wind around the bay.
-Rent a car and head to the Delta (Sherman Island) the local shop also got gear for rent, you may hit some good wind and swell there.

Good luck
pshaw

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Windsurfing rental in bay area Reply with quote

I think the store is Helm of Sun Valley. I had a United Airlines Pilot friend who arranged with them to meet him at the airport and drive him to either Coyote or Third Ave. and supply him with rental gear. That was several years ago. Contact them and see what they can do.

http://www.helmsports.com/directions
jp5

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the tips. I am not hard pressed to sail but if it was windy and some equipment available then it would be worth it since I will have all day to kill. My wife is attending a conference that weekend. I visited Coyote point in may of '06 and was going to rent gear from ASD but the very low tide wasn't very appealing and we had a long drive ahead of us to Lake Tahoe so I passed on it.
vadler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shitan wrote:
vadler wrote:
Your timing is also not great. The wind winds down toward the end of August

We get over 20days of wind in September and about 12 days in October then we start hunting for storms/clearings.

I know you sail a lot, but where are you sailing and what are you sailing on in Sept (what's your weight, too?). TI is the go-to place in late season, and it's not available this year. If you're here for just a weekend, it might be more hassle than it's worth to try and line up equipment, car, and time to get a mediocre session in. Lots of other stuff to do in the Bay Area. However, the tides are somewhat favorable that weekend.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, shitan and I sail a lot at TI in September... and although access is limited this year, there are accessable launch spots that we've used several times this year already. we also hear SFO gets wind later in the year when a lot of other places shut down, so it's off to haskins or a long slog from oyster. hopefully we get some good TOW in Sept this year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: