myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kiters at Leo, continued...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jp5

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I was bumped by our resident seal last week.."

huh? Shocked
theq

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Now that's funny. Reply with quote

"Bus stop Brd". Now that IS funny.

The presence of "Mr. Whitey" might be enough to get BSB up out of the water and off the bench. Not only is he clogging up "the lane", but he might also be blocking a realtor's ad. Shameful. Shocked
theq

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Damn the potatoes, full speed ahead. Reply with quote

Damn the potatoes, full speed ahead!

Hey, I have an idea. Shocked Shocked

What if instead of chumming for Mr. Whitey, or firing spuds at BSB, why doesn't everyone just join him on "the bench" one day? That would become crowded very quickly, and make it likely that everyone would miss the bus when it finally came through. It might send a clear message though, that everyone can play that same game, and that it'll be bad for all if they do.

I don't think that it's laziness, but rather an internalized ideology that says "All's fair if I get the lion's share". Some people believe that they have unique, brilliant ideas that will serve to get them ahead, and that others are just too dumb to figure it out. Stupid earthlings! The reality, of course, is that most people are too courteous, and understand that to implement this "idea", would end up bad for their group. Think about safety, think about others. All can be good. PAX
jp5

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"why doesn't everyone just join him on "the bench" one day? "

kind of like a sit in? when a set wave comes we all go for it?
Laughing
ABrailsford

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: LA Kiting Reply with quote

This is such an old story. It's been going on for years. Kiting banned here, kiting banned there. No kiting except when it's dark and there's no wind. Kiters "hitting and running". Bottom line is that there are just too many people in LA and just not enough space and wind to go around. It's a recipe for disaster. Don't get me going on the "Lifesavers". Not enough manpower to enforce the "laws" they make. Problem is that they can't drive down to the launch spot to enforce the rules.
Have fun down there.
Adam
jp5

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been some very positive posts on my Leo Carillo Kitsurfing post in the iKitesurf forum. It looks like a lot of the folks there want to be proactive and keep things safe. Check them out.
traig

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Adam. You have the crowding issues of LA down but you are way off on the guard issue. Try no budget and huge areas of responsibility for State Guards.. Not talking the County guard issue here. During the winter, you have ten miles of Coast with one patrol unit guard here for State.. The County practially has guys out on the beach building snowmen during the winter and getting bank for it to not have a budget surplus... Just crazy.. Lobby power goes a long, long, way.. Good guys but just a business thing.... The advantage for being merged with LACO fire.. Budget. My hat goes off the the great job the state guiys do for peanuts. Highest rescue beach in Ca is Huntington, which is a State patroled beach, south of peer. If the "lifesavers" wanted to just be by the book you would see a closure order for us period. Count your lucky stars for rules and not closure.. Kitesurfing is not a constitutional right. The guards are helping us out.. Ca, government general thinking is that if it can endanger the public, (hard hull speeding through surf with bathers/surfers present, then keep it away from the public.. They don't want to create more jobs for the highest lawyer per capita place in the world in suits against the state. If one lifeguard organization adopts a stand, it then is a message to all other lifeguard agencies. This goes for windsurf and kitesurfing. When we were building our sign for windsurfing, Cabrillo was considering a closure as well for windsurfing. Too many lawyers looking for work around here.. PI BS cases everywhere. Saw it in my other job non stop.. . Don't get me started....No offense to you ethical lawyers out there....
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Traig,

With all due respect, I've seen the local State Park Rangers giving tickets on Hwy 1 for parking in "No Parking" zones. While I've had a State Park pass for over 15 years and park across the highway in the lot, so I don't worry about getting a ticket, I wonder how funds and directions are implemented. However, I have to admit that I'm light on a change in possible change of directives with respect to enforcement over the last two years.
jp5

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks ozzy but judging from your post, you are probably not the type of kiter we windsurfers are complaining about.
traig

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the State Park Rangers and State Park Lifeguards are two different entities. They sometimes use a permanent guard in piece officer mode back up when a ranger is not available but the general parking violation stuff, though under a guards domain as well, is generally being done by rangers and FAR more frequently by the local sheriffs. One lady sheriff had the local record for parking tickets and would spend a lot of time around the stairs at Leo. Remember that blond? I got a ticket once there from her and there was a large lifeguard sticker in the back of my cars window that she was familiar with. I was running stuff to tower one in my reds.. Said she would not show up at court if I fought it... Still paid it as to avoid the hassel.....Money goes to the Schwartz and his support the paving of all CA fund to appease his developer buds most likely.... Who knows? Maybe really convert his Hummer fleet to high mileage cars...yeah right...ha, ha.. ha... The guards sure don't get the money. You would choke if you saw what they were paid, or not paid that is with the rediculous hours they put in.. The State Parks are not a money making machine. I think you will find barely breaking even or far, far less is the norm. Add maintenance workers, rangers, lifeguards, facilities, keiosk personel... you get the picture.. Murdoch ain't buying the State Parks and Trump isn't making offers either.. Ticket Tron is getting camp site profit share....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: