myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Washoe Lake
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimmchugh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Washoe Lake Reply with quote

Question Is Washoe deep enough to sail this year?

Thanks,
Jim
beallmd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Washoe is definetly deep enough. It is near full and is about 15 feet deep in the middle. with this, it should be fine for 2-3 years of drought. It has been a banner year for wind at washoe this year.
aaron1234

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any place with good info about sailing at washoe?
beallmd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwndsurf has all the info at washoe lake site info-look at eastern cal-nv map. the north boat ramp is the access. there is a kite launch and windsurf launch that are separate. Water now is warm enough for bathing suit or at worst a shorty. The sailing usually ends abruptly in mid-sept, although there are a few days sporadically after that at washoe or Lahonton (use beach 6 for launch-need a 4 wheel drive for getting thru sand)
ronm41

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its definitely been one of the better windsurfing/kiting seasons in recent years at Washoe Lake with wind just about every afternoon in the twenties and the 1-2' close chop that Washoe is known for. Shocked Interestingly it has also been the hottest season on record as well and lately we have had solid wind and temps near and over 100 so the water is Maui warm and sun screen is a must. Anyway, typical gear is a Bay area type shortboard and sub 6m sails. Kiters are using 9 and 12 m kites and everybody is well powered all the time. WTBS, I would not consider Washoe Lake to be any kind of destination windsurfing area but it is a good afternoon diversion if you come up and play in Reno or want to get some great Mt. Biking in. Wind at Washoe is always a afternoon event usually starting at 2:00 or so and there is a 90% chance you will sail your shortboard and sub 6m sails till mid Sept. Anyway, we have a wind talker 775 849 7648 and the wind on the lake is about 5mph better than the report.
jp5

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown Maui is back! I was there 4 years ago and my fin got stuck in the mud because the lake was only a foot or so deep. Rolling Eyes
coolmtnbiker048

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im going up to Tahoe next week. I'm thinking of a day trip down to Reno......Whitewater park in the morning, and then Washoe afternoon. What weather do u watch for if it's going to blow?
aaron1234

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great info guys. Very Happy I'm heading up to Tahoe for a mountain biking trip and I'll definitely bring my gear. How many guys are out sailing on an average windy day?
ronm41

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much Voodoo in predicting wind at Washoe Lake, first thing to do is look at the NOAA or local forecast as well as the Iwindsurf forecast. The prediction should be West or SW wind for the area including Lake Tahoe and that is the usual prevailing wind. The predictions will go out a couple of days, then the day you plan to sail you look at the wind speeds on top of Slide Mt. and you can get that from a weather radio or computer as the wind will start up there first before it down slopes to Washoe Valley, if that wind is over 25 then great chance it will shortly arrive at the lake as well. Thunder storms kill the wind typically unless the storms form to the east of Washoe Valley then it can enhance the wind and turn a 6m day into a 5m day or if the storms are westerly then maybe shut the wind off. Any wind that is not West or SW is not good and don't bother coming out if that is the direction by calling the wind talker. Sometimes the wind will be westerly at Washoe and east or other directions everywhere else due to down sloping wind flow that the area is known for. Like I said above you have a strong chance there is shortboard wind most everyday.
Windsurfing wise we don't get much of a turnout anymore so a good weekday we will get less than ten and a few more on the weekends if the wind is there. Kiteboarding is probably double that and on Monday I counted 23 kites out which is typical.
Anyway, sailable wind is a afternoon/late afternoon event. All the windsurfing/kiting it at the North Park off Lakeshore Drive in Washoe Valley.
vadler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always wanted to sail up there, but can you elaborate on short-boardable? Does that mean 120l or less? 150l? 165? I thought shortboard meant no centerboard, but almost nothing has a c-board these days. My biggest is 103l and 6.7 which I haven't used on the bay in 4 years, but I might lug it to Tahoe if I could use it.

Thanks,
Vic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: