myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where did the wind go?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bates

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Where did the wind go? Reply with quote

Anyone else going a bit crazy in MA. Any suggestions to keep sane with these light winds that have been here all week and are forecast? Its not even August yet!! Mad Crying or Very sad
dcharlton

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely feeling the pain. All you can really do is try and be as flexible with a spot vacation day here or there to better hit the windy days.

I was able to get out Monday afternoon at Pt Judith, RI and hit the window right on. It was a great session with some nice swell/waves but it I could only hit it for the 1 hour before doing more work stuff.

In the meantime, I'm doing all the yard work/projects, family functions I can do right now to earn the good graces of my wife so that when it does in fact pick up (and I believe it will pick up) you can go.

I'm also thinking about learning how to surf to pass the time or just have the surf board in my truck in case I get skunked with the wind but have some waves I can play in.

DC
cosmicharlie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to expect these conditions in the summer. Last year we had three weeks of it on Cape Cod. I bought a 9.6 and 160 liter board in the off season. They have been coming in handy these days. Saturday, I went out and actually had a lot of fun and the winds weren't registering more than 10 m.p.h. Work on your gybes, tacks, clew first sailing and perhaps try some other freestyle moves. My favorite move would be swatting the green biting flies on my legs while sailing. It's a good way to become a better sailor.
npiankov

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just have to have some flexibility in the schedule. Friday night was actually pretty good. I was on a 6.5/100L in South Boston and was planing much of the time until about 7pm. After that, it dropped off but one could still plane consistently on an 8.0 or so.

This Thursday and Friday can turn out pretty good, especially on the Cape.
peterk123

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I feel your pain. Heck I have a 9.0 and a 145 liter board and I am still getting skunked on weekends. I thought it would be impossible with that type of gear. It seems like we are getting a lot of northerlies lately.

Thank god for mountain biking, otherwise I would have gone completely nuts by now.
rationalnational

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nate,

you should get a kiteboard and a cool pair of shorts and you will be all sorted out. hehe.

It's August. We'll get some breeze soon. Hopefully a T.S.

Thursday/Friday hold hope

cya out there.

new big board just showed up
fishrising

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunday afternoon is looking better and better from West Dennis all the way to Ninigret. Take a look at the wind forecasts.

EDIT---sorry meant to say, starting Sunday afternoon, calling for 25 by Mon on the Cape, 20s for Ninigret on Mon, and both in mid to upper 20s on Tue.
cosmicharlie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishrising wrote:
Sunday afternoon is looking better and better from West Dennis all the way to Ninigret. Take a look at the wind forecasts.

EDIT---sorry meant to say, starting Sunday afternoon, calling for 25 by Mon on the Cape, 20s for Ninigret on Mon, and both in mid to upper 20s on Tue.
You won't do very well in the summer waiting for days that see winds in the mid-twenties.
bates

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no we wont, but we can hope
rationalnational

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually we should tell how well we do in between the days of mid twenties. I don't know about you Bates but the week off has been helpful to get some work done. We'll see mid twenties and higher within the next week, god willing, and thats doesn't refer to you Bruce.

Some of us enjoy the fact we dont own a sail bigger than a 6.0 (215 lbs) and still get out 60 + days a year May-October.

Hang in there nate. It'll be here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: