myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Manzanita beach party Tues PM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
winfreak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Manzanita beach party Tues PM Reply with quote

I would normally keep this place to myself but I miss all my Gorge friends. And Tuesday is looking like a classic session: warm water, small well formed surf, high tide in the afternoon, lots of great sailing with consistent wind, plenty of room for all (except maybe parking).
So come on down, lets have a record turnout , and get an old time beach party going on! Everyone's invited as long as fun is on the agenda: old geezers, the young, the good looking, and Darcy as well.....
I'll be the guy doing carefree duck jibes in the surf zone, maybe you will too! -P
pflash

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headed your way...... sounds to good to miss! Plus getting a little tired of The Gorge scene. Coasting your way Windfreak; Save some sand for me.
winfreak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Too windy?! Reply with quote

I hate to complain when high pressure builds in faster and stronger than predicted, but it does bump up the swell when the wind blows nonstop day and night, and usually ultimately will blow off the warm surface water and cause upwelling of the 38 degree water, with then hugely increases the thermal gradient, resulting in even more wind yet.
So the "just right" wind and swell and warm water becomes more of the classic Manzanita picture with the swell/surf blocking the wind in the surf zone, forcing you to overrig to be able to get outside, where it is nuking and wild, water is like ice, and the word "survival" comes to mind more than it should. Not for beginners or the faint at heart.
Just a word of caution re the conditions and forecast.
Usually the time of year would support continued mild conditions, but global warming seems to be extending our sailing season in both directions, so we may now be entering an early July type period, again!
Forecasters are often at a loss lately, as the computer models have little experience with the new variables and patterns....
So as my good friend kmf says " you just got to be there, and ready to sail what you get!" He has been having a great year so far.
See you out there! -P
kmf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IN OTHERWORDS BRING THE WINTER GEAR ALONG WITH THE NUKING STUFF. Shocked OK, COUNT ME IN.

KMF
bob1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

. . . but beer on the beach is colder too, right?
winfreak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: Preview Reply with quote

Some of us got Manzanita wet today.
Check out the chart, it was fairly accurate.
The surf/swell was doable but you had to pay attention, 3 to 5 foot mush with occ. 6 ft. barrel. BYOB,etc.. There will probably be wild antics not to be specified as yet, debriefing at Left Coast Siesta (good inexpensive Mexican) towards evening. Hope to see you there! -P
winfreak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:54 am    Post subject: Debriefing Reply with quote

A good time was had by all, especially Spruce (HR) who pulled off a great maiden voyage into Oregon's coastal waters, congrats!
FYI, tomorrow could very well be another day to talk about, we plan to be there yet again. -P
P.S. There were some surf antics, as one sailor had a kite flying from his mast until it turned into a sea anchor!

IMG_4141.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  67.7 KB
 Viewed:  18350 Time(s)

IMG_4141.JPG

winfreak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Wednesday nuclear session Reply with quote

The thermal gradient was incredible Wed. with the largest crowd and highest speeds, check out the chart!
When the wind kicked in with a vengence, only one lucky sailor was ready to take maximim advantage, and was able to make numerous speed runs in the surf zone parallel to the beach. We are talking TERMINAL VELOCITY IN THE SURF ZONE PARALLEL to the beach. Awesome jumps off the ramp of choice. Rarely does the wind and surf set up so well. Well, of course this show drew the rest ,of those lucky enough to be there, into the water ASAP and unknowingly set up a near disaster.
Speeds in the surf zone were so high that someone launched in the traditional manner and unknowingly headed directly out thru the surf and directly on a collision course into P's path (visualize pulling out onto a highway, only someone is coming at 95 instead of 55). This miscalulation was almost a fatal accident as the 2 sailors came within INCHES of an extremely high speed collision, neither sailor saw the other until just a few feet apart.

It would be interesting to hear from the launching sailor, could it be they were somehow unaware of the sailor making these repeated blasts down the beach!? Lessons were certainly learned on both sides, with a much greater awareness taken afterwards, I'm sure!

It was a very memorable day, and in spite of the ice cold water, and return later in the day of typical (altho very strong for awhile) wind patterns, everyone got a chance to rip it up! WOW! Until next time....P
winfreak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Thursday tops 30 MPH, another great chart Reply with quote

I had to work, anyone have a session report? -P
pflash

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Thanks for your forecasts and hospitality Winfreak. I had a GREAT 3 DAYS with my pals and we made a new friend. I'd call "The Party" a SUCCESS! Check Out the guy doing Duck Jibes in the Surf Zone and I saw alot of other people having a good time too......probably proded on by this iWindsurf PARTY POST. Visit "The Gorge" again Winfreak and we'll throw you a party Cool

Show Off.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  246.94 KB
 Viewed:  18230 Time(s)

Show Off.jpg

Duckin' the Surf.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  266.7 KB
 Viewed:  18230 Time(s)

Duckin' the Surf.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: