myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Why does the wind shutoff like a switch?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theq

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Some may justifiably wonder.... Reply with quote

Some may wonder, justifiably, why it is that we can't shut off "TheQ" like a sw
nealpar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that my post was misunderstood by a number of people as a personal attack on the topic opener. Far from that, as (a) I didn't even know who mkrasner was until 2 days ago, and (b) I sincerely believe that one can predict which way the wind will go if one is already at the beach, has a "trained eye" and watches for the "signs". Thus, I will not retract my comment about the wind. However, had I known who mkrasner was, earlier, I would have tailored my comment to him personally, and since he and I have always had a good rapport with each other, I am certain that there would have been no hurt feelings.

As far as "gwilstein"'s comment about organizing the kiting community......................well, hm, ahum, uhhh......how should I say this............ I know who you are.......helmet wearing lady.....I will refrain from personal attacks, however I will say that your husband, who is waaaaay cooler than you and you're damn lucky to have him.........and his "posse" don't make or break the kiting community. There are plenty of decent, friendly kiters over there who care about safety and camaraderie more than exercising their hormone or ego-driven personal vendetta against another.

Sorry about "offing" the topic. I'll give it back to the Italian lady. She's a breath of fresh air!!!
spennie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wind probably just lifted off the surface. We've all seen a gust touch down on the surface of the water, well sometimes they lift off, too. It just feels like it shuts off. I bet the kiters had wind a little longer than the windsurfers, unless it went way up all at once.

--Spennie
www.WindJunkie.net
jp5

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, two kiters stayed out.
sharkasm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by sharkasm on Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
theq

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: The Old Switcheroo returns. Reply with quote

Since TheQ had to leave early yesterday, he wasn't there to experience the evening "mixer" that looks like it occured at 7:00 PM. With the exception of starting velocity, and a 15 minute differential, the graph looks similar to the action on the day that prompted this thread. Was the graph accurate? Did everyone make it in without a swim? There's no need for "dabull" to answer that question
Laughing

Were there any what-should've-been-obvious indicators of what was to come, i.e., windline movement, surface change, bunion pain, gut feeling, etc? If you were caught in this lifting, mixing, somehow diminishing, wind, will you heed the warnings next time? Again, no need for "dabull" to answer this one. Twisted Evil
rowena

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: hello? Reply with quote

Da bull, MKrasnoff, Jpbassking, theq.... I had to reply to my own post. That's really sad...
nealpar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mkrasner, it appears that one is a "class act", when one agrees with you, and the rest.....well, they are either amusing or are threatening to you.

Indeed, the dictionary definition of "class" (among others) is "a number of persons or things regarded as forming a group by reason of common attributes, characteristics, qualities, or traits".

By that one definition, mkrasner is correct. Those that agree with him or fit his subjective idea of what a reply to his post should read, belong to his "class". I have no problem with that, Mr. Krasner!

To answer "theQ" regarding yesterday's conditions: I got in the water around 5:45 p.m., as everybody was leaving. Reason everybody was leaving? Because the wind began to drop or became inconsistent. (big holes between gusts) I went out nevertheless, because I just wanted to get wet after a hike in the nearby mountains. Was the wind decreasing at 5:45? Yes indeed! I sailed for almost an hour, but was often struggling to stay on a plane on my wave board. Was there enough to sail after 6:45? Absolutely not. But it took one hour for the wind to die completely. At 6:45 it was just me and mkrasner. Poetic, isn't it? Smile))))))))
jp5

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

who's mkrasner? Confused
sharkasm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by sharkasm on Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: