myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Yellow kiter yesterday crashed at Leo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zephr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is exactly what I am talking about ....the two you tube videos demonstrate what I think will eventually happen here in socal .

Just picture some kids on the beach instead of the windsurfing gear .
Now picture the impact breaking the kids bones .Then picture the lawsuit and possible monetary compensation / prison time . Like I said - these guys better have good insurance.

I could care less about the kiters in both videos as they were acting recklessly . Sort of like drink and drive really - eventually something will go wrong . It's others getting caught in the train crash that can happen that get's me .

Look - kiting is a great sport . I've done it and liked it . Fantastic feeling of nearly windsurfing (haha - ok that's unfair - it actually is a great sensation and everyone should try it at least once . Just get lessons with traig or someone who knows what they are at ).

Any rational person looking at the above videos can see that a loss of control can just happen - the variables are there and more plentiful while kiting . Being so close in proximity to others on the beach is crazy ...
Why would a rational person risk such a thing happening ?
cbknap

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: too cool for school Reply with quote

what's ironic in the 2nd crash posted by theq is that Gath helmets was a sponsor of the event, but the participant flung into the crowd like a rag doll was too cool to wear one.
broskis1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kite strings are 100 feet long. Ever see a jet 100 feet off the deck at kanaha?
broskis1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kite strings are 100 feet long. Ever see a jet 100 feet off the deck at kanaha?
kurtmagness

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm seems like the old overcrowding situation here. I think we should throw in a couple of standup paddle surfers into the mix along with some kayakers too. The main idea is to be safe and not get hurt or hurt someone else. Kiters always get relegated to the left over spots anyway. Leo is such a tight wave zone I personally would never kite there, too stressful. Although windsurfers should be more respectful too. Sitting in the water on a surfboard and having guys come at you going 20+ mph is kinda scary. I was up at Rio Vista last month and saw this kiter nail a winsurfer big time on the down swing, ouch! It was such a zoo out there I chose to be safe and went back to Sac to the pool to chill. Ending up in the emergency room either by your own hand or the hand of others is no fun and definately cuts into your fun session time.
broskis1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: windsurfer,snowboarder,kitesurfer Reply with quote

I started windsurfing in 1982. At the time we were the outsider. I have skied my whole life. I started snowboarding in 1984 and we were the outsider. I started kitesurfing in Maui in 1998 on a windsurfing trip. We were the outsider. I think everyone needs to be respectful to everyone else. General sailing knowledge and etiqette. We are going through a big growth in many sports. I think every one should be able to get along. All the the sports are progressing because of technological advances of the other. If we start to act like big brother we are the one's that suffer. The next new sport is going to be standup paddle surfing. I have also started this and I am an outsider. Here is the question. Shouldn't all sports evolve?
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they should Broski. I ski, I windsurf , I bike, I happy. The dynamic being discussed here in this forum is the kite/windsurf co-exisitence. It sounds like a real issue in SoCal, mainly because the great spots are few and far between and all the wind nuts flock to Leo and Carbrillo on windy days, unlike Norcal which has more choices and more wind. 60 foot lines and a kite that cant always be controlled puts the main responsibility on the kiter, just ask any of the regulars at Waddel and Davenport, where it blows 30+ and mast high faces are the springtime norm.
The problems exist when rookie kiters and wave sailors are put in the same body of water at the same time.
tweeky

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gracie wrote:
please substantiate claim of people getting killed by getting caught up in other peoples lines

Rick Iossi, a Florida kiteboarder who narrowly survived an accident three years ago, has compiled a list of dramatic kitesurfing injuries, and said about 20 people have died kiteboarding since 2001. "If you get hit by a sudden gust, all bets are off," he said.

These fatalities include a kitesurfer in northern Germany killed in March by crashing against a rock. Other have hit shore walls, docks and houses. In 2002, top German kitesurfer Silke Gorldt died when she became entangled in another kitesurfer's line and smashed against a shoreline fence.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/feat/archives/2004/04/20/2003137448

Satisfied now Gracie? Wink
tweeky

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gracie, there is nothing anyone can say, nothing that you can observe that is going to convince you that kiting is dangerous. Educate myself? What, with your "there are no accidents in kiting" propoganda?

You have made it your mission to try and discredit any statements made on this forum that say kiting is dangerous. I backed up my statement with facts, and still you act like I'm making this stuff up. Your posts here are pointless. Why don't you educate yourself. Lets look at this accident:

fact: kiter was killed when she became entangled in a runaway kites lines.

fact: the runaway kite was "ejected" by an upwind kiter.

fact: ALL (not some, not most, not a few but ALL) modern kites are still made with a quick release "chicken loop".

So Gracie, answer me this, if kiting is so safe now that this could never ever happen and kiter can never ever lose control of their kite, why then, are all kites still made with chicken loops and its says right in the instructions to make sure your safety release loop is setup correctly so that you can release your kite if you lose control?

Let me guess, you have some quip answer that doesn't address any facts and we're supposed to bow down to your infinite wisdom. I don't think so. Before you reply, please substantiate your claims that kiting technology is so improved a kiter would never have to eject their kite. If not, then stfu! Wink
windoggi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...danger aside, kiting just looks weird. I'm sure it's fun, but when you look at a shot of, say, Crissy or the Hatchery full of windsurfers, they seem like they belong. The same shot full of kites just ain't right. Or is it just me?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: