myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Incidents of a kiter being reckless or dangerous to others
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gorgekite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the title of this post is kiters being a danger to others. This video was from kite beach(no others around) also he tried to walk a way over powered kite up onto land ( a huge mistake) because their was no one around. The sle(depowerable kites) instantly depower in a gust unless you are unhooked. when a giant gust hits the bar is yanked away from you depowering the kite.
tweeky

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

h2olm wrote:
Kite tecnology has progressed so fast like computer technology. That would not happen these days with so many ways to depower kites. Kites today are power on demand (and stop on demad too).

Could you list off some brands/models of kites that perform this way? Particularly ones like Gorgekite says, where if you let go of the bar, the kite immediately depowers, I'd really like to know in case I end liking kiting after I take some lessons. Someone said the Carbinha Omega was really good.

I don't think this issue is about kiting/windsurfing. I think the issue is about how it is not cool to go out and be jerk on the water. It seems a little more prevelant in kiteboading because the manufactuers have taken a sort of in your face/punky/anti-social attitude to promote their sport, which is too bad. You just have to keep it real. If you go out there buzzing someone thinking its fun, maybe their idea of a good time is working you on the beach. If that happens, you can't complain because you're subscribing to an "anything goes" philosophy, and thats an issue that I see with kiting. It's "anything goes" meaning kiters get to do what they want, but the moment something doesn't go their way, they howl like a petulant teenager. All the whining about the Event Site this year really illustrated that point.
I like the take that "Person" has, and I consider it proactive. I rarely sail the Event Site for the very reason he/she talks about. I also think kiters could sometimes do better acting upon the same idea. If you come to site where people are windsurfing and enjoying the beach, don't just take the place over like a gang of hoods. That does nothing but darken the reputation of the sport. The coolest thing I saw a kiter do was paddle a little kayak with his kite all bundled up, to Wells Island. Somehow, this guy had figured out how to use the beach there and launch on his own, away from the crowds and hassles.
Anyways, I would like to know more about those depowering kites. Flying a trainer is fun, I can only imagine how fun it must be to fly a big kite, then have it pull you through the water.
gorgekite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

most of the sle or bow kites depower to very little pull by the bar moving all the way out. You still have to be carefull to have them set up right use a reasonable sized kite and not have a stopper ball moved down. As one of the few people who really tries to avoid crowds I love the ability to pack a kite down. I almost never kite in a crowd but some people love the audiance. I have herd sailors ask why kiters need to be at the hatch it is the same reason people sail their to be seen.
h2olm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Tweeky,
You must have figured out our little secret about Well's Island!!! Please keep that between us Laughing That may have been me and some of my friends that you saw. We had three big guys and kite gear for 5 people in a 2- man kayak. Two people swimming in tow, and a dog swimming as well. It's kinda like our own little tropical adventure in the Gorge. When the water is low, there is a perfect place to kite from there. If you notice, there are many jet ski runs by the instructors up there. I have taken many friends there to teach them. It's shallow enough so the can drag around until they are ready to get out in the main part of the river. The we can do downwinders to the spit.
I agree with you about the attitudes of SOME kiters, but it is a small portion that make it bad for the image of the sport. I know there are also some very aggro windsurfers too though. I have sailed all of the "double black diamond" spot throughout the Gorge, and beyond. I can now kite SAFELY at any of those sites as well. I have NEVER, however launched from places like the Hatch, Doug's, Rowena, but I have kited at those places. I just launch from somewhere else and kite there. If the Hatch does not look to busy as I approach with my kite, then I may come in there to enjoy the great swells. If it is crowded, there are many other place on the River that can be too much fun to kite/ sail, so I do not need to come in there. Since I often do launch at the spit/ Event Site, I must pass through those windsurfers/ kiters, but I try to be as respectful to them as possible. I know that most are learning there, so I go AWAY from the crowds. We were all lthere at one point, right!
In sailing, you have the "gybe-atorium" at the Hatch, and I don't usually go in there when I'm sailing. I'll leave that for people like Wyatt, Rob, Nick and those guys. In kiting, there is an area similar to that where people show off the crazy new tricks. I avoid that too. There is so much room on the River if you know how to sail/ kite properly.
Oh yeah, many kites do depower amzingly well today. I do ride a Cabrinha, but I'm sure it's just a matter of preference.
One last comment. Four years ago, I had the honor of meeting who else but Mr. Robby Naish himself on the spit. He was ther kiting. I asked him if he was kiting a lot more than he was sailing. He said "no way, I can nearly everyday, and I sail when the winds and/ or waves are good". I thought how cool wsa that, he's awesome at both sports. A well diversified open minded man. My kinda person.
OK, gotta go. It's gonna be another 30- knot day!!!! Yahooo!!! What should I do, kite or sail? Boy life's rough living in the Gorge!!!
See you on the river!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: